THE DANCING

JIMFURD

• 2 weeks later...

Charles - I remember the audio cassette either blank for recording yourself - or copying from someone else - and pre-recorded; and the 8 track which for a while were popular in incar audio but then died a death. Is that the 2 types you mean?

Charles - I remember the audio cassette either blank for recording yourself - or copying from someone else - and pre-recorded; and the 8 track which for a while were popular in incar audio but then died a death. Is that the 2 types you mean?

I think so. The one which disappeared was a bit bulkier and the one which survived is still with us.

Yes Charles - the 8 track was bulkier - about the size of a small paperback if I remember right

the shot of La Scala from just about outside where the sweetie kiosk was if I remember and the balcony at the matinee when I started going on Saturday mornings was 4 d to get in but worth the extra penny if you wanted to (or were perverse enough) to chuck stuff over the edge and onto the kids in the stalls below who had only paid 3d.

Yes Charles - the 8 track was bulkier - about the size of a small paperback if I remember right

the shot of La Scala from just about outside where the sweetie kiosk was if I remember and the balcony at the matinee when I started going on Saturday mornings was 4 d to get in but worth the extra penny if you wanted to (or were perverse enough) to chuck stuff over the edge and onto the kids in the stalls below who had only paid 3d.

What a wonderful allegory of society as a whole! :lol:  The posh people in the dear seats dumping on the assembled cut price plebs below!

Regarding the photo, I think in the old days you went up that stairs to the balcony while the corridor on the right led to the fleapit stalls but the pic is from the Scala 1 and 2 era.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Yep !these were the stairs that led upstairs to the Hoi Polloi  seats--uch as those with Pimples tattooed on them.

I'll just declare a pedant alert before I say this! :sad:

If you mean by "hoi polloi seats" the expensive ones upstairs for posh people, then this is something of a Greek "faux ami" (as they say in French) since it means just the opposite of that. Hoi polloi is actually Greek for the majority or the great unwashed - or the plebs as the Romans would later call them.

It's a common confusion which I always attribute to the fact that the two words are reminiscent of "high" and "polite" in English.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Only the best strolled out to a ceilidh in the olde days

The "Duke of York" as he was there in 1920 eventually in 1936 became George VI, he of the mega stutter and the King's Speech. Interestingly the date in 1920 is September so I would guess that Albert.... which was his real name before he called himself King George.... was there for the Northern Meeting which was an annual late summer gathering of sundry toffs, Hooray Henries and chinless wonders.

A lot of grouse shooting would have been involved and in fact Geordie Boy and the Queen Mum were absolutely obsessed with blasting away brainlessly for hours on end at anything that moved. There was one world tour that they went on (at the taxpayers' expense) where they dropped off at sundry exotic destinations to commit major slaughter among various areas' wildlife.