ICT vs Fleetwood Town

Gavroche

Christie, Watkins and Foran can all play up front alongside McKay should we ever need to resort to 4-4-2 so I'm not sure a new striker is as necessary as some make out.

Nobody's ever taken my suggestion on, but I still say Zander Sutherland would be a good wildcard signing. Another hat trick against league 1 opposition this weekend.

Christie is definitely a player with potential. Many nice touches and has good vision. Doran looked like he was carrying some excess weight but maybe it is that new strip. Their number seven definitely outran him a few times when he tried to break with the ball.

The passing game at times looks good especially when players find their man but at times it exposed us both at the back and when trying to find the killer pass in the final third after a multitude of short passes. It all nearly went awry in the first few minutes with Brill getting away with it and again a couple of times in the second half when passes across the back went astray. The most frustrating though is when the ball is played out and the break is on only for the ball to be played back - across - back - across - and then the opposition have got themselves all back behind the ball and reorganised.

The passing game although effective at times will not work against all opposition and we need an alternative to be executed throughout games. There is nothing wrong with passes out to the widemen who can then run at the defence go past their man and put in a decent cross. I thought we looked most dangerous on the couple of occasions we executed that. Also the shooting routine being practised before the game was not put into practise during the match with the players continually looking for the next pass instead when in about at the edge of the box.

Having said all that the team performance was far better than I expected and hopefully the new season will not be as bad as many seem to be predicting.

• Agree 2

I would say so ;-)

Also forgot to add I thought Tansey was quite effective yesterday and looks a vastly improved player from the one that left us a few seasons back. In fact in the midfield department we have several skilled footballers who can play some very good football.

I would say so ;-)

Also forgot to add I thought Tansey was quite effective yesterday and looks a vastly improved player from the one that left us a few seasons back. In fact in the midfield department we have several skilled footballers who can play some very good football.

Agreed! Thought Tansey was our best player. He controlled pretty much everything in midfield and was always looking to get the team moving forward. When he shifted further up Fleetwood were beginning to get more joy through the middle.

Edited by AJS

As mentioned in another thread, Doran needs to lose weight big time.  There's stocky, like Johnny Hayes and Carl Tremarco, but Doran's not like that.  He needs to lose weight pronto.  I've been at a few of these pre-season games and I'm no longer convinced Doran should be a guaranteed starter.  Watkins has looked far more dangerous.  Also, Hughes needs to give up on turning Vincent into a winger.  He's not a winger, it's never going to happen, time to give it up.

I also thought Fleetwood were very poor.  That is all.

Always liked him but has he beefed up. Could say the same thing about Gavin Morrison. Or even Rory McAllister ?

Was speaking to 2 guys from Brechin the other week, Ray McKinnon and somebody else. It seems Rory hasn't changed much!

Always liked him but has he beefed up. Could say the same thing about Gavin Morrison. Or even Rory McAllister ?

Was speaking to 2 guys from Brechin the other week, Ray McKinnon and somebody else. It seems Rory hasn't changed much!

I really don't think Rory's attitude will ever change so I doubt very very much if he will ever play at a higher level. Good part-time striker tho.

As mentioned in another thread, Doran needs to lose weight big time.  There's stocky, like Johnny Hayes and Carl Tremarco, but Doran's not like that.  He needs to lose weight pronto.  I've been at a few of these pre-season games and I'm no longer convinced Doran should be a guaranteed starter.  Watkins has looked far more dangerous.  Also, Hughes needs to give up on turning Vincent into a winger.  He's not a winger, it's never going to happen, time to give it up.

I also thought Fleetwood were very poor.  That is all.

This boy shouldn't have a weight problem. He should have enough incentive to be at his optimum fitness at all times without the need for any encouragement! If he can't commit to his overall level of weight control and fitness I would bin him! Edited by caleyboy

Doran doesn't have a weight problem. He probably moves around more than the majority of players on the park can't believe the slating he's getting on here. He gets forward, he comes back, he tackles, he shoots (albeit not very well most of the time) but he is deffo one of the more consistent performers in the team!

• Agree 1

Doran doesn't have a weight problem. He probably moves around more than the majority of players on the park can't believe the slating he's getting on here. He gets forward, he comes back, he tackles, he shoots (albeit not very well most of the time) but he is deffo one of the more consistent performers in the team!

I'm the same. The guy simply isn't overweight and there are no doubts as to his fitness - at times like these I wish we had something like opta stats to put this stuff to bed. In the time he's been here he's created more goals than anyone, carried our midfield when he has had to (when we've had injuries etc.) and represented his country. With all due respect to our lardier brethern, fat boys don't do that.

But what if he improved his diet, lost half a stone and became a faster and better player......?

I was watching highlights from a couple of seasons back the other day.  The difference in Doran's size is quite noticeable and I don't just mean in a filling out kind of way.  I don't think he's of that stocky a build, he is carrying excess weight.  I've also been more impressed by Watkins and Williams this pre-season as well and would be inclined to start them against Hamilton.

Total agreement. Its not weight that matters its fitness. If the guy can put in a good shift and carry on doing what he's good at then so be it.

Nonsence!

So are we saying that 18 stone rugby players would improve if they lost weight?

Total agreement. Its not weight that matters its fitness. If the guy can put in a good shift and carry on doing what he's good at then so be it.

Nonsence!

So are we saying that 18 stone rugby players would improve if they lost weight?

Ridiculous comparison .

• Agree 4

There is a two way view - Doran is very talented and on his day he can be as good as any player in Scotland. He still has great potential and could probably set his sights higher than ICT. He should really be playing in the Championship and vying for a permanent place in the Eire squad.

Why isn't he - becos he probably feels that he can enjoy life on and off the field at ICT. His problem is that he puts on weight easily and he therefore should be more fussy about healthy living and keeping himself at a target weight. Hughes Sussed him by the end of last season and he is akin to Luke Shaw at Man Ure.

And there is a big difference between muscle tone and excess fatty tissue. Doran ain't a useless fat boy. The frustration is that he comes across as a rather lazy non achiever.

I recall another winger Barry Rosbon, who smoked, who liked a good drink and was actually pretty funny with the shot in, it didn't mix too well with football though and he went on loan to Forfar for a season, Untited  bought him off of us on the cheap and eventually sold him for a 7 figure sum to Celtic. 

• Agree 1

And Barry did a good job at the Vancouver Whitecaps, basically showed how to do it in midfield and came close to getting goals on more than one occasion.

But , back at the ranch,  if what you are saying is that Doran showed up for pre-season training not in excellent shape, that's a basic no-no....and it's disappointing, because unless he pays attention to this then as he grows older his career will start to stumble.

Comments?

I recall another winger Barry Rosbon, who smoked, who liked a good drink and was actually pretty funny with the shot in, it didn't mix too well with football though and he went on loan to Forfar for a season, Untited  bought him off of us on the cheap and eventually sold him for a 7 figure sum to Celtic.

What a clever comparison - Fatboy Robson also had a glaring weight problem. An example of skinny cnuts who can feck about with their diet and lose feckin wright !!