ICT vs Fleetwood Town

Gavroche

Good win against decent opposition but we looked suspect at times. We pass in our own box more than anywhere else but it was becoming more fluent as the game went on. No joy down the right with Vincent out wide, it will never work. Originally wasnt a fan of Williams through the middle but thought he played quite well today, was tidy with possession and did his best to get forward.

Christie looked very sharp, twisting and turning and scrapping for space and Tansey held the fort firmly, spraying passes and kept control of the game. The trialist Horner showed some neat play when he got on, not sure where hes from but he did well.

Neither side created a great deal of chances though Billy had a guilt edge chance before he scored and Fleetwood hit the post in the 2nd half but a wins a win. Was a bit peeved with Fleetwood's approach to the game though, they seemed intent on injuring players, not the best approach for a pre season game.

The lack of options at the moment though is a real concern for me. Up front and at the back we look rather thin on the ground. New faces are needed. 

He's from Hibs reserves via Blyth Spartans..

Fleetwood matchday experience.

Made a nice change getting a burger outside and there was plenty for youngsters to do before KO.

The 3 Bar staff were friendly pleasant and fast before KO. Very small queue

The new top was on sale in the bar area

Main stand North Concourse area wasnt serving HT Food  and looks like its having a revamp for the start of the Season, though not finished yet.

The bar concourse area served the whole Main Stand with the 3 bar staff serving soft drinks and only 2 staff serving pies. Super Sub LG enters the field and  joins the bar staff allowing for 1 bar staff member to joint the pie shop team to speed up the queue, good teamwork.

The fans got the chance to meet up with the players in the bar after the game.

A well organised day out.

Edited by 12th Man

Do not understand the trialist thing at all. Of all the positions we have cover in CM has the most. Draper, Foran, Tansey, Vincent , Polworth, and Williams all able to play there. Hughes has said its pointless wasting a wage for someone to sit in the stand. Another Yogi conundrum that I cannot workout.

Everyone can see its upfront we need to look at.

I can't imagine Horner commanding a massive wage but as said above we already have a fair bit of depth in midfield with Draper and Foran due back in due course. I would personally far rather Liam Polworth getting a shot in centre mid but Horner was pretty impressive today to be fair. 

I don't think Horner can play in the development league cause he's over 20 unless he was one of the limited ones that is over 20 but I don't see the point in that either. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

Did Fleetwood have any fans? Couldn't find much evidence on any forums that they have a support.

The time we played them they had been getting about 900 at the games but had just moved up and got the odd 3000 or so against the bigger Conference teams.

I see goalie legend 'One Scotty Davies' was on the bench  :clapoverhead:

Did Fleetwood have any fans? Couldn't find much evidence on any forums that they have a support.

The time we played them they had been getting about 900 at the games but had just moved up and got the odd 3000 or so against the bigger Conference teams.

I see goalie legend 'One Scotty Davies' was on the bench :clapoverhead:

About a dozen sat behind the away dugout area.

I see goalie legend 'One Scotty Davies' was on the bench :clapoverhead:

About a dozen sat behind the away dugout area.

Plenty in the main stand clapped when they scored

Did Fleetwood have any fans?

I saw 2 fleetwood replica shirts but it was hard to get a rough estimate as we were all seated in the main stand!

Plus the substitute's on both sides got a good reception from both sets of fans.

Edited by Ayeseetee

I just found this report from someone who clearly wasn't at the game

http://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/article/report-inverness-2-1-fleetwood-1785469.aspx

featuring crackers like:

"the SPL side went ahead as McKay made no mistakes this time, getting in front of the Fleetwood Town defence to slide home a cross from David Raven."

"Fleetwood were in the ascendency and looked likely for a quick fire second but unexpectedly, Inverness hit the Cod Army on the counter attack"

"Fleetwood never took their foot off the pedal"

"causing issues for Gary Warren"

Edited by Ayeseetee

I though Polworth did well when he came on. He always looks for the ball and his range of passing is excellent. I would really like to see him get a run in the team. The signing of Horner to me makes no sense with the strength we have in midfield already. It is clear we need another striker, if Billy gets injured we have no natural replacement. It looks like everyone can see that apart from John Hughes. 

in regards to horner I imagine yogi knows something about forans injury that we don't as he has said he doesnt want to bring anyone in to sit on the bench.

Plus the fact we don't know what positions he can play in I guess if he hasn't joined by next week birmingham will be his final test to decide his fate here!

Edited by Ayeseetee
  • Agree 1

I'm all for giving the lad Horner a chance to try and make it after unfortunately being let go by Hibernian but as long as Yogi can justify it.

I do admit it gives us an alternative should our main guys get injured but would he get ahead Tansey,Draper, and Foran - I'm not so sure.

I believe Horner can play in a few different positions, so probably viewed as a useful utility player to have as part of the squad.

Rules for the U20's (now called the Development League) have changed to allow 5 players over the age of 20, so there's a bit more scope to work with players that are a little older to bring them on.

Under TB we had quite a bit of divide between the younger lads and the "first team" when it came to training etc.  Yogi does things very different and views them all as part of one big squad with everyone training together far more regularly.  One of the main reasons we're seeing the true potential of these lads, IMO.

I think the benefits of that have been apparent all pre-season.  Even today we didn't have what we might consider our strongest/preferred starting squad, yet we looked in control and comfortable for the vast majority of the game.

If you work on the premiss that the other team can only score when they have the ball...and we limit that possession...then logic dictates that you'll concede fewer goals and in turn, lose fewer games.  You then build on that and look to turn that additional possession into additional chances and the logic follows through to dictate that we should win more games.

We've got the first bit in place and are building on the second part.  Having seen all but one of the pre-season games, there's been a progression in terms of how direct we're being when getting into the final third and that will continue to improve.

• Agree 2

Well, sound good.

But I have the feeling that Birmingham on their own turf will be a bit of a handful. They are a step up from Fleetwood and if ICT are wiling to work very hard and keep the defence tight then a good result might be there.

Looking forward to hearing what J H will say in his after the match interview.

As usual some fairly negative comments on what after all was a pre-season friendly against very motivated opponents. Some people seem to lack an appreciation of the financial constraints ICT operate under. There was plenty of evidence yesterday that other players are capable of supporting Billy upfront. 

Christie is very talented. We see Dundee United youngsters being sold for £2m but on our doorstep we have a very talented and improving goalscorer.

From midfield we have players who will be expected to score goals. Watkins looked sharp up front in his spell. People wrote Nick off yesterday and yet he created problems with his control and pace. Aaron looked sharp in the first half.  Shinnie was pretty outstanding.

All players yesterday put in performances that provide optimism that this club with modest financial resources and a smallish support can once again compete against all those clubs better placed geographically and financially for Scotland's premier league.

• Agree 4

OK, IHE, I'll provide a very brief report of how I remember yesterday's game:

Cracking weather greeted a powerful looking team from Fleetwood and a small band of visiting fans. The main stand was about half full by kick off.

The first half started with long spells of possession for ICT - Fleetwood struggled to get hold of possession and were reliant on long thumps up to their striker. Against the run of play, however, they put the ball in the net from an attack down the right and a low cross, but the offside flag was raised - tight call! ICT played some neat football in midfield and were combining particularly well down the left, with Shinnie always making himself available. However, they created few goalscoring opportunities, the best of which were a free kick from Tansey which deflected off the wall after Christie was brought down and a shot from Billy from 10 yards after his put in behind by Christie's pass. Fleetwood forced a couple of corners on the break before an excellent run and cross from Raven was converted by McKay from 6 yards just before half time.

Fleetwood started the second half better than the first and had some possession of their own. Watkins and Ross came on with about 30 min to go (replacing Doran and Christie) and the threat switched to the right, where Watkins made several dangerous breaks from midfield but failed to find the final pass. Fleetwood always looked dangerous from the set-piece and scored mid-way through the half from a free kick on the left that was neatly headed past Brill. Shortly afterwards, another break from Watkins was missed by everybody, but was pinged back in by Williams: his shot was saved/hit the post and the rebound put in by Vincent. Vincent and Williams gave way to Polworth and the trialist. The only chance of great note came from Fleetwood on account of a mistake by Tremarco in a dangerous spot - the resulting low cross was put narrowly wide of the near post.

The match finished tamely. A good workout, but few chances for either side.

• Agree 1

My main concern at the moment is the lack of width. In Ryan Christie we have a Gem who yesterday when giving some space to operate in looked dangerous and put the Fleetwood defence on the backfoot. 

Yet we insist to play Aaron Doran on the left where he drifts inside as well as James Vincent doing the same on the right pulling more men into those areas limiting the space a player like Christie has to work in.

After watching Fleetwood aimlessly hitting the ball long most of the day I must say I prefer are brand of football I just hope we don't always pass out from the back as it reminds me of Kilmarnock under Kenny Shiels where they would often put themselves under pressure losing the ball deep in their own half.