Salmond vs Darling Debate

culduthel

Both are just being stubborn on their answers to each question using the pound makes sense from both sides but arguing it's our only option is not the way to win voters on either side.

Remember the no campaign is being dubbed project fear so having the head of the organisation say scotland would be okay would be suicide in their eyes!

Over the years I have watched political leaders have these types of head to head debates in the five different countries I have lived in ( as well as many of the States and Provinces of these countries ).  From memory more or less all of them ended up in a big flat boring draws.  This is the first time I have seen someone ( Salmond ) being comprehensively beaten and humiliated by their opponent and then being castigated by their own supporters.

Salmond is now a liability and is destroying the chances of the Yes campaign.  He needs to be replaced before the next televised debate. It seems that for too many people that his credibility is damaged beyond redemption.  it looks like he will go down in history as the man that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  He needs to be ditched before he causes more losses.

Plan B is effectively the status quo as we're already using a currency "controlled" by another country!!

Appears that plan B may be no Currency Union, no debt (and I suppose, no other assets bar the fixed assets in Scotland, though that isn't clear.) and using sterling anyway, in the short/medium term at least..   http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/first-minister-no-currency-deal-no-debt-deal/

A no debt option looks attractive to Scotland but we would rather have a deal that worked for our friends in the rest of the UK as well as for Scotland. Maintaining a common market and single currency is the solution that works best for all parties.

Not overly keen on the Currency Union idea.....but less keen on the walking away one, as we are still going to have to live next door to the rUK...thought that idea had died a death a while ago as talk about it had died down..hence my thinking Plan B was just using sterling anyway.

So I'm kinda torn, as it would be great to start off debt free...but not so great to have the rUK  next door nursing a sense of grievance. Why would we want to swap our long held sense of grievance (chip on our shoulder)  for their future new one? It won't help good relations any more than it has in the Union.

I'd rather take our share of debt, and our share of assets, (with the cost difference between the assets we can use, and those we can't being deducted from our debt share) and have a friendly co-operative neighbour. We may not have a legal obligation to pay any of the UK's debt, as it doesn't appear that much, if any, of it got spent in Scotland for Scotland's benefit, (else the A9 would have been drastically improved rather than forking out dosh filling London with  state of the art transport facilities) and we were certainly not a signatory to the transactions which produced the debt levels. 

But imo, we do have the same moral obligation as in any marriage breakup, in which the family car, which you can't drive because you have no licence, and an expensive suite which offends your taste, and is so bogging you had to buy sofa and chair covers to hide it from view, were chosen and bought on tick by the husband alone, who included your pay in his income figures when getting that tick, are perceived as goods for the benefit of the household, even if you don't agree that they were...and are a joint responsibility.  I'd rather become independent, even if the first few years are hard, being fair, than be left feeling we had shafted the rUk just because we could. 

International business times article on the debate: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scottish-independence-well-done-darling-youve-done-yes-campaign-huge-favour-1460357

Edit: coming thick and fast today will this hurt the no vote in the long run?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/now-even-david-bowies-ganging-up-on-the-scots-is-this-how-to-stop-independence-9142266.html

Edited by Ayeseetee

Have a vote in this poll and be shocked by the results

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/senior-snp-figures-stick-knife-4015023

So doesn't that kind of contradict the whole fact that the debate was disastrous?

Without knowing the number of votes cast, that poll should be taken with a pinch of salt. Also, as I've just done, it appears to be possible to cast multiple votes, therefore instantly losing any credence.

The article was written by James Kelly, author of a Pro-Independence blog, so is clearly biased.

Have a vote in this poll and be shocked by the results

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/senior-snp-figures-stick-knife-4015023

So doesn't that kind of contradict the whole fact that the debate was disastrous?

Without knowing the number of votes cast, that poll should be taken with a pinch of salt. Also, as I've just done, it appears to be possible to cast multiple votes, therefore instantly losing any credence.

The article was written by James Kelly, author of a Pro-Independence blog, so is clearly biased.

Tell me about it the snp have a 600 page book outlining what would have to scotland after a yes vote while "project fear" has a pamphlet telling us only the bad things that could happen!

If you could direct me to an unbiased view (presumably would have to be from outside the uk?) I would like that but it has boiled down to opinion v opinion and facts are the casualty.

Edited by Ayeseetee