Ryan Christie

CaleyThistle

Would be interesting to see the outcome of this. IF and a massive IF we sold him, I'd like to see a deal where we get him back on loan for the season (more if possible) If indeed Newcastle or Sunderland buy him.

Edited by ICTRoughi

If he's anything like his father he'll get homesick. Personally I think he's a better asset to us on the field but if he were to go then I'd expect a decent fee + at least 100k youth development compensation. So English teams thats at least half a million in my book.

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough amongst a dozen English teams interested in him according to Sky Sports.

Well that's a relief. I thought this rumour might be accurate for once.

• Agree 1

Given the potential he has shown I am not surprised by speculation regarding his future however I am surprised at how early it has come. He is just beginning to establish himself in the first team so to be linked with a big move away is really early for him.

Can anyone remember how long his current deal is for?

• Agree 1

Given the potential he has shown I am not surprised by speculation regarding his future however I am surprised at how early it has come. He is just beginning to establish himself in the first team so to be linked with a big move away is really early for him.

Can anyone remember how long his current deal is for?

He's signed-up until the end of next season!

I am quite sure his Father will tell him at this stage of his carreer to stay where he is and get more experience before moving on, a move at this stage I am sure would see him languishing in the reserves

• Agree 1

When a story like this appears in the media (assuming Sky haven't just made it up), you've always got to ask who leaked it and why.

It's highly unlikely that several English clubs each decided to disclose at the same time that they are keeping tabs on a particular player, which suggests that either ICT or Christie's representative is the source.

Similarly, with the Mckay/Frankfurt story, the only place it appeared was the Daily Record with nothing at all being mentioned anywhere in Germany other than referencing the Daily Record's claim, which again suggests the leak was from either ICT or the player's representative.

I think we need to learn some lessons from DUFC here. As soon as Ryan Gauld and Robertson were in the spotlight, they got them to sign lengthy (5 years for Gauld?) deals. I don't think we know yet whether Christie is as good as those two (I would argue that he certainly has the potential to be), but if we want to start getting into the crazy money (>£1M) bracket for players we develop, we should tie them to long contracts if possible.

Ryan is, easily, the brightest ICT prospect to emerge in the last 20 years.  I would fully expect him to have the good sense to get another season or two under his belt before he departs.  The fact that he wasn't drafted into the Scotland Under 21 set-up at the tail end of last season is an absolute disgrace. 

• Agree 2

Hull showed that £3m is nothing to any EPL team and they would pay this for a prospect. Ryan has the best sort of advisors close to him and I am sure everything that is best for Ryan and the club will be done.

• Agree 1

Hope all this speculation doesn't go to his head, I'd also hate him to disappear like the lad Fraser from Aberdeen.

As another poster said, better to stay put and get some games under his belt and gain some experience.

Its still very early but i'm actually really proud that ICT have managed to produce a youth player that is meriting interest from bigger clubs espeically when its the son of an ICT legend. I hope we can keep Ryan for at least another season and at his age a couple more years wouldn't do him any harm at all.  We also have Shinnie coming through the youth ranks although he wasn't with us from very early on it still shows we are making great progress with our youngsters.  Hopefully there will be a few more gems coming through in the future.

• Agree 1

If he's anything like his father he'll get homesick. Personally I think he's a better asset to us on the field but if he were to go then I'd expect a decent fee + at least 100k youth development compensation. So English teams thats at least half a million in my book.

Not sure why he would be "like his father," the circumstances would be quite different and he would no doubt have the full support of his whole family. Times have changed, and the lad seems very mature and focused.

Edited by dougiedanger

Ryan has 2 years left on his contract and the club hold an option for an additional year beyond that....effectively if anyone was to be making an offer, they'd be buying him out of a 3 year deal.

Not strictly true. The 'option' part of the deal would be impossible to enforce legally these says although clubs do continue to persist with them. Nevertheless, we have the comfort of the two year deal.

Having spoken to Ryan's father in the past two weeks I know for a fact that his wish is for Ryan to stay and try to develop as a player at ICT over the next season or two at least. He is extremely proud that Ryan has done so well at the club but one of his main reservations is the potential 'pressure' on him from ICT fans and the obnoxious comment from Alex Macleod earlier in this thread perhaps backs up his concerns. Having met Ryan on a few occasions I must say he is a very pleasant, level headed young man who has a real desire to do well for his home town club and I for one wish him all the best.

• Agree 2

• Yngwie locked this topic