Rangers -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Though Crawford Allan was very poor as ref. Some terrible challenges that warranted further punishment went unchecked and a lack of flow to the game wasnt helped by his picky approach towards itty bitty fouls.

Wasn't at the game so was listening on the radio, but from what the commentators were discussing it sounded like those that were punished were questionable as well.  If his intention was to set a marker for what was and was not acceptable, sounds like that fell flat over the piece when he suddenly realised that a red may be called upon.

We seem to be back to the position we were two season ago when no matter what the opposition did to us in their 18 yarder, we seemed to never get a penalty.

What really made me sad was not the bad result or the poor performance.  It was the behaviour of those Rangers "fans" next to the away end.  What were they even there for?  Most people go to matches to watch their team and enjoy the game, but they seemed to be the total opposite.  Most seemed to be young teenagers, led by gaunt, shell suit clad adults just looking for a fight.  Hardly any of their songs were in support of their team.  The majority were aimed at us.

I knew beforehand that tensions would be running high because of the referendum and the death of Ian Paisley, but I fail to see what that, Union flags or songs about Bobby Sands have to do with a match between a team from Govan and a team from the Highlands.  Most brandishing 'No Thanks' signs didn't seem old enough to vote, let alone have an in-depth knowledge of British and Irish politics.

What chance do these kids have in life?  That was the saddest part of the day of all.

• Agree 2

Look on the bright side. Let Sevco have a shot at the 'wee' cup this year for the first time in their history, we're not greedy. It was fixture congestion and exhaustion that derailed our league campaign last season. Without all those midweek games, we'll be much stronger come the business end of the season this time around. And there's always the 'big' cup to look forward to.  

• Agree 2

Watching the attack that led to the goal, there is no way that was a deliberate handball.

But in the end, it doesn't matter now, the fact was we simply did not impose ourselves on them from the start and we failed to make the grade.

Still one cup to go and a league position to protect.  The night is still young.

Defending too deep starts with the back four always deep when Brill has the ball looking for the eventual throw out or short pass. But when we do get it right it can also be very effective as with the goal at Firhill. That was Brill to Raven and goal 10 - 15 seconds later. Unfortunately we do not do that often enough. The main thing that Tuesday says to me is that we will struggle more without "main men" like Shinnie and Draper. If I have any criticism I would have spared Christie on the Saturday and went to Castle Greyskull to attack.

• 2 weeks later...