Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone

Scotty

Given Hughes' comments on "it's all about ball retention" it is perhaps a bit surprising that we are not actually retaining the ball better.  I looked at the match stats for the 8 games we've played this season and we have had an average of 53% possession against 47% for the opposition.  That's closer to 50:50 than the referendum! 

Stats for shots at goal and on target are 12 & 4 per match and 8 & 3 per match for the opposition.

These figures suggest that we are effective at containing the opposition and restricting the number of chances they get (that's why Draper got the POTM award), but we are not dominating possession and we are not creating a lot ourselves.  What concerns me is the extent we play the ball sideways and allow the opposition to regain their shape.  We are most effective attacking at pace but such attacks seem a relative rarity these days despite both goals yesterday coming from Doran breaking at speed.  The second was interesting because initially it looked as though Shinnie was running to provide the overlap but then he just stopped and  let Doran take on two defenders on his own.  It was only when Doran got trapped by the corner flag that Shinnie then made himself available again and was lucky to be gifted the ball. Can't help but think that Yogi would have wanted Doran to check when Shinnie stopped his run and knock the ball back to Shinnie in the space behind to ensure possession was retained.

Of course it is great to be where we are in the league and a win is a win and all that, but apart from the two goals there was precious little to get excited about yesterday.  The crowd yesterday was dreadful and it is clear that the crowds are not going to come just because we are top of the league, they are going to come back if they are entertained.  The stats suggest that for all the hype, we are not actually keeping possession particularly successfully and nor are we getting much goalmouth action.  Even County who are bottom of the table with no points are averaging more shots on target per game than us.

It seems to me not so much that comments on here are negative, rather they are reflecting a negative style of play which happens to be successful.  With the talented squad we have, I can't help thinking we could have a much more positive approach to games and still be successful.

Is it worth getting in a new Striker signing (free agent, as was mentioned after deadline day) or would that not solve Striker problem of not scoring? Just a thought.

Ryan Christie scoring which is a bonus so imo, just stick him up top haha.

With crowds dipping below 3,000 and out of the League Cup we may be struggling for funds to bring in another striker even as a free agent.

I find it incredible reading some off the posts regarding our so called style of football ! Unless I am imagining it we are joint top of the highest tier of football in our country ! If anyone had said this would be remotely possible 20 years ago they would have been insane . Virtually any club and their fans apart from Celtic would be over the moon with our achievements . Seems to me a lot of our so called fans would rather we were playing primitive football and struggling at the foot of the table like our near neighbours ! I have noticed recently a lot less activity on this forum and quite frankly I am not surprised as it is quite depressing the level off negativity been shown. Start talking your team up not down all the time and just maybe we could get the feel good factor back . The players and the club deserve so much more than than this constant criticism !

• Agree 7

What's yer problem. Some folk commented on the standard of fare from both teams. That part is fact and a fairly honest assessment. Being top of the league is nothing new to us at this stage of the season, ffs we are only seven games into the season. I'm ok with the style of football and have given credit when it's due. St Johnstone games are historically poor fare and this one was no exception for an hour. It's a forum to discuss the merits of the team, good or bad or indifferent, I don't see the problem. You don't have to be a happy clapper to support the team. I'm happy enough to be sitting at the top end of the table, but I'm not getting carried away yet, long way to go and if we stay there it would be just grand, but I'm also a realist and will take it as it comes, good or bad. 

If some people were happy with the first half then they are easily pleased. It was widely reported as being rubbish and not just by people on this forum. St Johnstone and ICT seem to cancel each other out although I always feel that we are better than them and look to collect the points from them.

It takes all kinds, and I'm one of them.

Do I have a problem because I have posted my opinion ? I am not a happy clapper and unlike a lot of others on here am a season ticket and have been since the start of our journey . All I say is people should be more realistic and back the team instead of always talking them down !

• Agree 1

Do I have a problem because I have posted my opinion ? I am not a happy clapper and unlike a lot of others on here am a season ticket and have been since the start of our journey . All I say is people should be more realistic and back the team instead of always talking them down !

Were you entertained by saturdays first half performance?  Most comments have been about how poor the first half was.

Probably not , but when teams like Killie and saints come and get ten men behind the ball it does not make for entertaining football .When we scored the game opened up and at the end of the game most home fans seemed to go home happy !

• Agree 1

I find it incredible reading some off the posts regarding our so called style of football ! Unless I am imagining it we are joint top of the highest tier of football in our country ! If anyone had said this would be remotely possible 20 years ago they would have been insane . Virtually any club and their fans apart from Celtic would be over the moon with our achievements . Seems to me a lot of our so called fans would rather we were playing primitive football and struggling at the foot of the table like our near neighbours ! I have noticed recently a lot less activity on this forum and quite frankly I am not surprised as it is quite depressing the level off negativity been shown. Start talking your team up not down all the time and just maybe we could get the feel good factor back . The players and the club deserve so much more than than this constant criticism !

What makes you think that folk on here are not delighted that we are sitting top of the league? 

It is interesting you say we need to get the feel good factor back.  That presumably means that you think we don't have the feel good factor at the moment - isn't that exactly what some of us are saying?  And the feel good factor is not going to return just because a handful of fans stop voicing their concerns on this forum, the feel good factor will return when people are excited by what they see on the pitch.

Saturday's win put us top of the league and yet we had the lowest Saturday home gate since we returned to the top flight.  Why are people staying away?  Why do you think that is? If you don't have an opinion then it is not exactly helpful having a pop at those who, with the clubs best wishes at heart, are offering their opinions.

One thing for sure judging by the reaction to my post some off the regular posters Have had their feathers ruffled !

Some people come on here to share opinions and engage in debate around the issues - we don't come on here just to ruffle feathers.  You come on here and criticise others for expressing opinions and then fail to offer any opinion of your on the issues even when challenged to do so.

Edited by DoofersDad

Great 3 points, dire first half, better second half.

Service to Billy needs to improve or he will be wanting away shortly, can only keep his international place if scoring and if he aint getting the service he can't score regularly.

Harsh to criticise Yogi when flying high in the league and another 3 points and I have only managed the last 2 games but some off it has been very dull in these 2 games

Could this have any bearing on our lack of big crowds ?

Do the people who post ' negatively ' on here speak to their peers in the same manner?

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising and can also be the worst so consequently when someone hears such talk the natural reaction ''  they may be at the top end  of the league but I hear their play is so boring it's not worth spending money watching ''

roby is right we should all be taking positives from our games and passing these on to our mates, friends or whatever.

I also find it strange that when people post in the positive and criticise negativity from other posters they are jumped on straight away yet the reverse is met with sarcasm, rage or rebuke.................Usually followed by words to the effect that they are the real supporters or it was topics of discussion on tactics.

I liken this approach to the old saying...I used to think he was indecisive but no he just can't make up his mind !!!!

Keep up the positivity roby, sticks and stones and all that........ :cheer01:

• Agree 2

A goal for Billy can't be far away! It would be great if he could end his 'drought' this weekend. He's got a good record against Aberdeen - he's all-time leading scorer in the fixture with 6 goals. That old cliché about 'in off his backside' would suffice!

Interesting stat: In his last 35 ICT games, Billy has scored 6 times;

In his last 35 ICT games, Aaron Doran has scored 8 times!

What makes you think that folk on here are not delighted that we are sitting top of the league?

It is interesting you say we need to get the feel good factor back. That presumably means that you think we don't have the feel good factor at the moment - isn't that exactly what some of us are saying? And the feel good factor is not going to return just because a handful of fans stop voicing their concerns on this forum, the feel good factor will return when people are excited by what they see on the pitch.

Saturday's win put us top of the league and yet we had the lowest Saturday home gate since we returned to the top flight. Why are people staying away? Why do you think that is? If you don't have an opinion then it is not exactly helpful having a pop at those who, with the clubs best wishes at heart, are offering their opinions.

In my opinion the reason fans are staying away has absolutely nothing to do with our so called style ! Quite simply the Scottish public are bored with the structure of our game . Playing each other far to often leading to familiarity and as a result boredom ! If you analyse attendances in our division I think you will find we are far from unique in falling attendances !Only Aberdeen and newly promoted Dundee are bucking the trend .

• Agree 1

Maybe you are hinting at the fact that we have a very narrow  selection of opponents to choose from and the world has moved on. So it's BO_R_ING.    True! Many a words spoken in jest.....but why?

Maybe we should then try to get in some friendlies with Sweden or even Germany. How about Iceland?------ something,...... anything.... that's different and novel AND shows that you are really interested in doing something to reverse the trend.

It would cost money, but if these home and away ties were of value then would it be worth it?  Yes or no. Anyone who bleats piteously and says "no" . just please leave the room. Who knows anything unless you TRY  ?

The very fact that the club is trying to ring the changes might spur some other armchair critics  to act alongside the action-eers.

Wringing hands will achieve nothing.

Laughing at my POM POM references is undoubtedly amusing, for me as w ell as you, but all you seem to be doing  right now is sitting at your computer and doing nothing. If so, why not use your computer to contact local businesses and ask for  help?

Someone please send me your chairman, Mr. Cameron's, email address and I will contact him myself. I used to have it but lost it.

What about a Punch and Judy show run by the kids on a match day? That would create a buzz --and at very least it would start a trend, right? Have at least 3 booths set up and let a player or two decide the winner and present a first  prize.  And every kid gets something as well for their efforts....every child who participated, even if it's only a bag of pan drops or  liqorice Allsorts.

I've suggested dancing children, or children involved in acrobatics, or drumming ---great idea --involves the local schools, the teachers, the parents ----- which is the perfect combination to put people in seats and emphasize the community spirit and promote the club's value to the general public. Let them perform in front of a crowd ----it can't fail,  so long as everybody cheers and no kid is left feeling empty and unappreciated.   Everybody wins.

AND it sets up- the stage for future fans to be born and cultivated and the parents are charmed, happy and are fans of ICT for the future.

Great oaks from little acorns grow and it will happen . But only if the existing fans plant the acorns.:

Form a small committee and bandy about ideas , then form sub-committees  to explore the ideas presented and pursue them if possible. Then report back to the main committee and if good ideas are proving to be feasible start planning and making phone calls. Who is going to turn you down..the kids who are already involved in  their activities that you want to foster and exploit? NO!

If you don't make the effort  then this club could sink back into obscurity and so will the community spirit.

• Agree 1

Scarlet, when do you suggest those activities take place? In the fifteen minutes of half time there is normally something happening on the pitch. Sometimes it even involves young kids. Most fans are in the various food queues at this time as well.

The club and CJT already do a lot to promote themselves to schoolkids. There's player visits to schools. Free tickets for schools. Coaching sessions in school holiday time etc.

Personally I dont think entertainment on the day has anything to do with dwindling crowds. I think cost is the big factor. The country is in a recession. Most people just dont have the spare funds for a family day to the football. They can go to cinema for a quarter the cost. Many others have other pastimes. The reductions in numbers is not only at Inverness. Its at every club in the country.

• Agree 1

SP is simply another who is voicing his frustration that our club simply develops and progresses on the field and is extremely well managed financially but fails to attract the level of support that is deserved for those sterling efforts. That "emotion" is beginning to show in nearly every thread recently.

SP and others are unfortunately situated thousands of miles away and are not privy to the feel of the TCS or the local area. I hesitate to attend home games as I often leave deflated irrespective of the result or performance on the pitch. ICT have some of the most critical and whingeing supporters in Scotland. They are mainly of the 50+ generation and often have a pop at the yoof? Why some of them sit in the North Stand is beyond me.

And then there are some who away from home join in to the banter who favour the equally dismissive population of the Main Stand. I have been in the feckin Main Stand TWiCE and I fail to see the attraction - other than a feeling of superiority or even a sense of being closer the upper echelons of the club. Mingling with the management and some old heroes takes precedence and apparently some Kudos.

What I suggest is that you make the North Stand a sit where you want area. If anybody whinges then they can feck off to the sides or pay a mere pittance to transfer to the Main Stand. Then the Main Standers could become what they are away from home and feckin join in to producing an atmosphere.

In many ways this is a forlorn hope as football today has it's upper, middle and lower "classes". Many look at the emergence of a "sugar Daddy" as being the answer but that could also destroy the comradeship and the "history" and make us even more "plastic" than what we are now.

And SORRY to conclude that ICT will never, ever replace the tightness an togetherness of Caley or Thistle. But HEY it is still a "religion" to many including maself. But is it not sad that I only ever really experience that "tingle" away fro home.

County got knocked out of the cup after a 2-0 defeat from Hibs :blush:

SP is just being more helpfull than frustrated, I also recall Scarlet kindly offering to buy a ST, so that childen from the Inverness orphanage could attend games.

Scarlet moved away a long, long time ago.

Edited by 12th Man