Highland Derby 05/10/2014

RiG

First Highland Derby of the season on Sunday at 12:45 and there's no thread yet!

ICT are unbeaten at home, Ross County haven't won away from Dingwall in the league. Despite a strong start to the season ICT have wobbled in the last couple of weeks and still look susceptible to making errors at the back when placed under pressure. Aberdeen made it quite an uncomfortable afternoon for us on Saturday and County will no doubt look to do the same. Our team is perhaps more settled than Ross County's at this minute and we are certainly favourites but the game at New Year showed that there is substance in the cliché that form goes out the window in a derby match.

Interesting stat, ICT have yet to win a game under John Hughes after conceding the first goal.

I can't see our starting XI changing unless we have any injuries:

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Draper Tansey

Watkins Christie Doran

Mckay

Looking forward to it smile.png

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2

On the face of this is a game we should win.  Our home record this season against their away record; our settled side  against a team still getting to know each other.  But as Aberdeen discovered last night, there are no easy games in this league - and this is a derby.  Anything could happen.

Despite their lowly position, I have spoken to County fans who are quite relaxed about that and who say that County have been playing pretty well.  Their view is that as the team gels together and with the new manager the results will come.  The stats show they have created more chances that us this season so there can be no complacency here.

I think it will be a pretty tight match.  County will be in our faces, closing us down quickly and trying to disrupt our passing game.  I think we need to make it a fast expansive game, stretching them from the start.  That style suits us better than County but I'm not sure Yogi will see it that way.  I wouldn't be surprised to see County edge it, but on the other hand it will maybe be the day the ball runs kindly for Billy and he gets a much needed hat-trick.  My prediction?  Lots of talking points.

The fact that they have recruited the likes of Jackson Irvine, Lewis Toshney and bringing back Michael Gardyne was good business for them IMO. As DD says this game will be be a tight affair.

I think if we play like we have done against Kilmarnock and Cetlic at home then we should see this one through but I really can't see this game being a comfortable afternoon.

County obviously have gained a momentum boost from their win at the weekend so it's just down to us to firstly keep staking a claim in the top 3 and secondly taking county back down a peg and I think we can do it.

My team for the day would be: 4-4-1-1

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Watkins Draper Tansey Doran

Christie

Mckay

I think a lot of our fans would become extremely disillusioned if we were to lose this one. After seeing the great start to the season slip

away somewhat, a loss to our arch enemy would be a bitter pill to swallow.

However, I am optimistic that we are playing well enough to give County a good hiding, if only we are able to cut out the preventable mistakes at the back.

Obviously it would be good if Billy can regain his shooting boots, but even if this doesn't happen, I'm sure we have enough firepower to beat

County with a bit to spare.

Looking forward to it.

• Agree 1

As well as Billy being 'due' a goal, I think we must be 'due' a penalty anytime now - seems ages since we've been awarded a spot-kick!

Edit: Checked back, and it's 'only' been 12 games since our last pen...so not as long as I felt. Possibly the close-season makes it seem longer.

It was in April, at Parkhead - Fraser Forster saved from Aaron Doran.

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

I think that stat stretches back to November 2011! Bonfire night! We were certainly on fire, coming from behind to beat Kilmarnock 6-3 at Rugby Park. Which is appropriate, as it was, literally, a rugby score! :smile:

Didn't we come from behind to beat Dundee United in the League Cup last season?

I think that stat stretches back to November 2011! Bonfire night! We were certainly on fire, coming from behind to beat Kilmarnock 6-3 at Rugby Park. Which is appropriate, as it was, literally, a rugby score! :smile:

Didn't we come from behind to beat Dundee United in the League Cup last season?

Butcher was manager then.  He got sent off that night.

The fact that they have recruited the likes of Jackson Irvine, Lewis Toshney and bringing back Michael Gardyne was good business for them IMO. As DD says this game will be be a tight affair.

Irvine i someone at the back wins near enough everything but on his feet is awful so we should put him under a lot of pressure 

Interesting point actually.  Maybe the best thing that could happen to this fixture is County (or ourselves!  :ninja: ) being relegated and spending a couple of seasons apart.  It's never really been a bitter, nasty derby like some, but I don't sense the same excitement about it now that I have for some of the earlier Premiership ones.

Agree with the comments on the low attendance. I think if we get to 5,000 we'll have done well. Given how frequently these games have arisen in the last couple of years it's hardly surprising that interest has started to wane. 

Given the Sunday kick-off time and TV coverage, It's possible that the crowd may be around 4,000. The attendances since we've met in the SPL/Prem have been 'trending' downwards at a significant rate! (Attendances rounded to hundreds):

TCS

(Oct '12)  6,800 

(Mar '13) 5,800

(Jan '14) 4,300

Victoria Park

(Mar '13)  6,000 

(May '13) 6,000

(Feb '14) 4,800

(April '14) 4,400

What will crowd be Sunday ? Doubt it will be more than 4500

It was less than that last year at New Year so if we get 4,500 it could be seen as a good crowd.  But if we can't attract more than that to a derby game then you can kiss goodbye to any thought of regular attendances of more than 3,000 regardless of how successful the team are on the pitch. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to it even if the majority of the Inverness population couldn't care less.

Another incentive for Sunday - we've been knocked-down a place tonight to 4th - BUT can go top on Sunday if we beat County by 2 goals (providing Hamilton don't win at Parkhead!) Top of the league in October would be lovely!

• Agree 2

Given the Sunday kick-off time and TV coverage, It's possible that the crowd may be around 4,000. The attendances since we've met in the SPL/Prem have been 'trending' downwards at a significant rate! (Attendances rounded to hundreds):

TCS

(Oct '12)  6,800 Friday Night but 1st Highland derby in SPL

(Mar '13) 5,800 Saturday game

(Jan '14) 4,300 New Years Day

Victoria Park

(Mar '13)  6,000 Saturday game

(May '13) 6,000 Sunday game

(Feb '25) 4,800 Tuesday Night

(April '14) 4,400 Friday Night

Looking above midweek games are not popular but weekends are ok so I'd expect a crowd of 5000+. Indications from away ticket sales suggest it will be less. Think the waning novelty factor and the number of games played over the last two seasons will affect crowds.

Novelty factor has nothing to do with it. A derby is a derby and even in the lower leagues crowds remained healthy but I feel it is because games are cntrolled by TV which is major factor instead of a 3pm ko on a saturday when i am sure crowd numbers would improve and if it is to be believed that the county fans dont want to give us money then that is very sad. The old firm are vile, the Edinburgh, dundee tayside derbes get great numbers even though they in some cases they hate each other. This is county's chance to take a large crowd to back their team that they don't normally have away from home because it is close but i find it sad that the game of the season for both teams is descending into just another match. But on this occasion I do feel sorry for some fans n both sides with the travel problems you face on a sunday.  

http://caleythistleonline.com/page/index.html/_/previews-2014-15/roast-county-for-lunch-r1189

Adams' departure was somewhat acrimonious with County maintaining they want to try a different direction. Downwards seems to be their chosen path with the bold Derek having a few swipes at the Dingwall establishment. Wee man big chip syndrome springs to mind.......................

Preview for the game comes from Ginger Jaggy :ictscarf: