Nairn Road Re-alignment

I am still working on Charles's  "paralyptic". 

Paralypsis is a rhetorical device where an issue is highlighted by the claim that the speaker isn't going to talk about it. The Roman orator Cicero was a noted exponent of it. The adjective is "paralyptic" (as opposed to paralytic! :lol: )

I rather suspect that Scarlet knows that but was being ironic...

and so, back on the road ........ 

does this mean ----naaaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn---- will no longer be the fastest town in Scotland .... shame!

Having said that the A96 has needed upgraded for decades (under the purview of governments of all stripes) so I am glad it finally seems to be happening. there are stretches of that road that are almost as bad as the blackspots on the A9

Being a regular traveler on both, I actually find the A96 slower and more frustrating than the A9 so delighted to see both being upgraded at long last.

You are right there Kingsmills, long tailbacks behind tractors! 

and so, back on the road ........ 

does this mean ----naaaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn---- will no longer be the fastest town in Scotland .... shame!

Having said that the A96 has needed upgraded for decades (under the purview of governments of all stripes) so I am glad it finally seems to be happening. there are stretches of that road that are almost as bad as the blackspots on the A9

Being a regular traveler on both, I actually find the A96 slower and more frustrating than the A9 so delighted to see both being upgraded at long last.

You are right there Kingsmills, long tailbacks behind tractors! 

Right indeed... and not to mention (paralypsis!!) old dears driving Nissan Micras (before that it used to be Morris 1000s)

Thank you Charles. So why does the Oxford English Dictionary not feature  the word "paralyptic" within it's comprehensive pages I wonder ?

However, I am still working on your last explanation.

Permit me to tell you that you are a very clever man, with an awesome plethora of platitudes, paraphrases and peccadillos. But most  are often rather convoluted and above my station and need re-reading several times for the message to percolate into mah heid. So I regret to advise....."I am still working on it" :smile:

Thank you Charles. So why does the Oxford English Dictionary not feature  the word "paralyptic" within it's comprehensive pages I wonder ?

However, I am still working on your last explanation.

Permit me to tell you that you are a very clever man, with an awesome plethora of platitudes, paraphrases and peccadillos. But most  are often rather convoluted and above my station and need re-reading several times for the message to percolate into mah heid. So I regret to advise....."I am still working on it" :smile:

Strange. We have apocalypse and apocalyptic, paralysis and paralytic, catalyst and catalytic.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Preferred-route-for-A96-dualling-between-Inverness-and-Nairn-revealed-by-Transport-Scotland-03102014.htm

I wonder if this proposal , with a huge price tag attached to it, is something to do with development of the oil fields off the North East Coast.

And, if so, what benefits will accrue directly to Inverness City?

Are there any proposals to build oil terminals or the like.? :happy:

Only just had a chance to read through this thread and gave up after a few of CB'c "if it doesn't affect me I'll slag it off" comments.

The fact is Scarlet that this is the first stage of the A96 dualling project. This stage, Inverness to other side of Nairn, is the only part that directly involves Highland Council at the planning phase. the whole road / project is about improving the links between two of Scotlands cities. Much as the A9 project will do. That will benifit Inverness in the long term simply because reductions in travel times can promote new business. there is nothing sinister in the plans though CB may find otherwise.

I think Charles is in fact a very clever Westminster spy  that has been to Cambridge and Harvard to gain the breadth of thought that will bamboozle us puir wee Heelanders .. Why even the bright and breezy IHE has fallen silent in the face of  such a silver tongue. :tongue:

Back on topic.  We may complain about the A9 and the A96 and the congestion in Nairn but really we don't appreciate how lucky we are up here.  I was down South these last few days and on Monday drove via the M25 from a relative in Hertfordshire to one in Surrey.  The distance was 72 miles and it took me three and a half hours.  Coming back up the A9 today, apart from a couple of bits of road works at Dunkeld the first time I had to change down gear was at the approach to the Kessock Bridge.

Back on topic.  We may complain about the A9 and the A96 and the congestion in Nairn but really we don't appreciate how lucky we are up here.  I was down South these last few days and on Monday drove via the M25 from a relative in Hertfordshire to one in Surrey.  The distance was 72 miles and it took me three and a half hours.  Coming back up the A9 today, apart from a couple of bits of road works at Dunkeld the first time I had to change down gear was at the approach to the Kessock Bridge.

You'll have to tell me your secret, I now drive from Inverness to Aviemore or Kingussie (and back) everyday. Apart from the times later at night i.e.after 9pm. It's only short stints I get to sit at 60 on the single carriageways mostly been 45/50mph behind lorry/caravan/tourist/Sunday driver. I bought a car with cruise control to help keep myself safe with the big brother ASCs, barely get to use it!

You'll have to tell me your secret, I now drive from Inverness to Aviemore or Kingussie (and back) everyday. Apart from the times later at night i.e.after 9pm. It's only short stints I get to sit at 60 on the single carriageways mostly been 45/50mph behind lorry/caravan/tourist/Sunday driver. I bought a car with cruise control to help keep myself safe with the big brother ASCs, barely get to use it!

I guess I was lucky that I missed any really slow moving lorries.  It was by no means 60mph all the way but when I did hit traffic it was still going at a decent enough pace to avoid the need to change down gears.  I also just kept to 60 on the dual carriageway sections which, if you are not in a hurry, simply means that it takes you longer to catch up with any slower moving traffic further ahead.  It also saves on fuel.  I arrived in Inverness about 16.30.   I appreciate it is not always like that, but my point is that journey times down south for comparable distances tend to be significantly longer.

I left early yesterday morning for meeting in Glasgow city center had slower run down with lorries doing 40mph.  My boss flew up from Southampton and left after me!  Return journey was slightly quicker.  Keeping to the speed limits as I was the average speed cameras would have reduced the journey times by about 10 minutes if the lorries were travelling at 50mph.  There was delays of about 10 minutes on the way home at the road works which will get much longer once the real works start.  Reading the P & J today the group opposed to the cameras are suggesting using the A82 and the A96 to avoid the A9, the advice if you stay at the east side of Inverness use the A96 to Aberdeen then the A90 for Perth.  What planet are they on? :ohmy:  

In British Columbia the 70 KPH (kilometers) has recently been upgraded to 80 kph--long overdue since everybody who was willing to risk being stopped by the police drove at 80 KPH on the Freeway (the Motorway in the U K). That's really slow for a 3 lane highway--most of the time  we tend to do 100Kph and often 120 KPH(75 Miles per hour)..

I travel on the A9 north of Perth a lot, usually just as far as Dalwhinnie on route to Fort William but also into Inverness, and no matter what time of day or what traffic / roadworks conditions it generally takes the same time. The ASC's will make no difference to the time it takes. Its always been a bugbear of mine the people who complain about speed camera's / traps of any type. They are there to try and get people to comply with the law. You break the law and get caught then accept the consequenses and stop moaning.