Inverness CT v Dundee Utd

RossP

I thought today we controlled the game very well and reaped the rewards for it. I personally thought due to the amount of chances we created, we should have won the game more comfortably than we did. I felt that playing two up top was far more effective than Mckay up solo which Watkins played a blinder with today and scored another decent goal.

I felt Vincent coming into a central role again was played very well, far more better than him being stuck on the wings - he looked more comfortable with the ball today.

I felt sorry for Billy Mckay today and some of the chances he had today he just squandered. Today was a game where I actually felt where he was getting service and he made great movement but his end product just isn't here at the moment. I'd be inclined to drop him next weekend regardless of Celtic being the opposition. - 1 goal in the 11 league games for him isn't the best. I was a bit disappointed that Sekajja didn't feature today and we went for Nick Ross up front - didn't understand that one in all honesty.

Anyways, 3 massive points and joint top of the table - couldn't ask for anymore at this stage!

• Agree 1

I felt sorry for Billy Mckay today and some of the chances he had today he just squandered. Today was a game where I actually felt where he was getting service and he made great movement but his end product just isn't here at the moment. I'd be inclined to drop him next weekend regardless of Celtic being the opposition. - 1 goal in the 11 league games for him isn't the best.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with ICTRoughi. One goal in 11 starts is not just a slump in form, it indicates to me that his confidence is completely shot away. Would resting him help him get it back?  I rather doubt it, but at the end of the day, we need someone scoring up front, so I say give Sekajja a chance for a couple of games to see what he can do.

• Agree 1

Inverness CT: Brill, Raven, Shinnie, Vincent, Warren, Meekings, Mckay (Ross 76), Draper, Watkins, Tansey, Williams. Subs not used: Esson (GK), Doran, Sekajja, Devine, Tremarco, Polworth.

Dundee United: Cierzniak, Dillon (Townsend 57), Fojut, Ciftci, Rankin, Armstrong (Bilate 66), Mackay-Steven, Watson (Spittal 66), Morris, Erskine, Dow. Subs not used: Szromnik (GK), Bilate, Telfer, Connolly, Smith.

Referee: Kevin Clancy.

Attendance: 3,508.

Great win, everyone played their part. Watkins my man of the match closely followed by Warren and then Vincent

Mckay had a very good game. Why would we drop a man who gets into so many good scoring positions? The team is winning despite Mckay not scoring. If we were losing games then I would be worried. He will come good. Well done everyone.

• Agree 1

Mckay had a very good game. Why would we drop a man who gets into so many good scoring positions? The team is winning despite Mckay not scoring. If we were losing games then I would be worried. He will come good. Well done everyone.

I totally understand your point but I personally feel that 1 goal in 11 league games isn't a great record of Mckay's abilities. Getting into goal scoring opportunities is all well and good but frankly he isn't scoring goals at the moment - If Billy Mckay was on the same form as the last two seasons, he would have scored a hat-trick today!

In my opinion being dropped isn't the worst thing in the world for a footballer, look at how well Aaron Doran reacted after being dropped by Yogi this season. We just signed Ibra Sekajja who has scored 2 goals in 2 U20 games so we don't lack alternatives. Competition is healthy so let Sekajja challenge Mckay spot I say.

Another great performance and 3 points after the first 10 minutes despite all the fouls by united!  Must have been our best home game since Hughes took over as my son did not stand up and shout at him throughout the game :smile:

• Agree 1

That was a really good team performance.  After a bit of a tentative start we got the goal when Utd looked the more likely.  After that we played far more confidently and dominated the game.  What was most pleasing was the work rate and the way we won the ball in all areas of the park.  Utd have good attacking players but they were not allowed time on the ball and time and time again their attacks were snuffed out before they had really begun.  The only downside is that our superiority in midfield really should have resulted in a bigger margin of victory.

The lesson to take from this (and other games) is that we need to take the game to the opposition early and press them hard - play the game in the opposition half.  Sitting back, focusing on keeping possession and being patient only puts pressure on us, particularly when we are not scoring freely.

Difficult to pick out standout players as it was a good all round team performance.  Watkins and the midfield all good, but for me Graeme Shinnie edged it.  He was solid at the back but was also very effective going forward.  He led the team by example today.

Whilst on the subject of Shinnie, I wonder what his brother must be thinking?  Sitting on the bench at St Andrew's watching his team slip into the Championship by getting thrashed 8 - 0 whilst the team he left go joint top of the Scottish Premiership.

• Agree 3

Great three points but we need to get into the habit of putting teams away. A lot of chances went abegging and I lost count of the number of times players, especially Billy slipped on their arses. Should have won comfortably but ended up holding them off albeit fairly comfortably. Somebody will get a doing one day, let's hope it happens soon.

Excellent outcome and well deserved by all accounts. The stats tell the story - let's start converting these chances (starting next week). Joint top after the first round of matches is just outstanding. Well played lads!

• Agree 1