Inverness CT v Dundee Utd

RossP

Or is JH looking to sell Doran in January. He is on a long term contract and one of the few we could get good money for . Must be teams looking at him sitting on the bench and wondering? We also have cover for him!

If he was wanting away, best way of getting money for him is to play him and let everyone see how good he is.   So many of the chances we create involve him in the build up and he's not frightened of going for goal himself.  2nd highest scorer both this season and last.  He should be on the park playing and not warming the bench - and we shouldn't be looking to sell him unless he wants away.

I would doubt that there has been any serious falling out between Hughes and Doran.

Is it not just a symptom of the stronger squad we have built that there is real competition for places. Vincent, Ross, Williams don't feature 100% of the time either, but it certainly gives us a strong bench, and more options when the likes of them, including Doran, are available to come on as subs.

• Agree 1

This game completed our October fixtures. Got the 7 points that were 'targeted'.

November has some tasty ties. The hardest fixture followed by home games against the Lanarkshire duo (separated by an International break). We also start our Scottish Cup campaign:

Celtic (away)

Hamilton Accies (home)

Motherwell (home)

Scottish Cup (round of 32)

If offered, I'd take Scottish Cup progress plus 5 league points.

• Agree 1

This game completed our October fixtures. Got the 7 points that were 'targeted'.

November has some tasty ties. The hardest fixture followed by home games against the Lanarkshire duo (separated by an International break). We also start our Scottish Cup campaign:

Celtic (away)

Hamilton Accies (home)

Motherwell (home)

Scottish Cup (round of 32)

If offered, I'd take Scottish Cup progress plus 5 league points.

Being a greedy sod, I'd prefer to settle for Cup progress plus six points and having a 'right good go' at Celtic Park rather than sitting back waiting to be turned over.

• Agree 1

Hughes has stated multiple times that every player in the squad should be able to play their way into the first team. A true meritocratic approach. Williams and Watkins have been outstanding this season, that's why Doran is on the bench. It's more a positive response to their performances than a negative response to Doran. Competition for places is a good thing, a bit of squad rotation will help us avoid the usual fatigue and accompanying end of season collapse which always seems to scupper us over the last few years.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 4

Hughes has stated multiple times that every player in the squad should be able to play their way into the first team. A true meritocratic approach. Williams and Watkins have been outstanding this season, that's why Doran is on the bench. It's more a positive response to their performances than a negative response to Doran. Competition for places is a good thing, a bit of squad rotation will help us avoid the usual fatigue and accompanying end of season collapse which always seems to scupper us over the last few years.

What needs to happen with Mckay IMO

Very reluctant to drop Billy. He's the type of striker, who like many, will go on a 'run' when he grabs his first after a drought. He's still an integral part of our team even when he's not necessarily scoring goals, if that makes sense! Silver-lining...I doubt so many clubs are now eyeing him up in the transfer window!

• Agree 1

Billy has not had a lot of luck, he could easily have scored three goals more than he has with a bit more fortune.

There's no way I'd drop him as it could affect his confidence and the fact that he hasn't been dropped is our manager showing faith in him IMO.

He'll come good soon

Very reluctant to drop Billy. He's the type of striker, who like many, will go on a 'run' when he grabs his first after a drought. He's still an integral part of our team even when he's not necessarily scoring goals, if that makes sense! Silver-lining...I doubt so many clubs are now eyeing him up in the transfer window!

I can understand your point Sneckboy, I agree with you about his movement and I would go as far as saying he was more effective on the wings in the second half of the Ross County than he has been up front this season. The frustrating part for me is the chances being squandered and we have Sekajja on the bench who could possibly tuck them away.

As I stressed earlier in the thread, for Mckay to be dropped it's not the end of the world. The use of the word "dropped" is probably harsher than it sounds but if he gets "rested" for a couple of games it then gives him time to rest, reflect and gain a bit of self confidence and the hunger to succeed. Competition is very healthy for a football team and Mckay being used as an impact sub for a few games could be of great benefit of the team.

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

Billy looked like a man who had no faith in his ability on Saturday but it is possible that the constant use of him since the turn of the year has maybe worn him out. He's only human after all.

With all the time and trialling that went into acquiring Sekajja maybe it would be in Yogi's best interests to give him a run in the team and see how he gets on.

Like Roughi says I would see it more as resting Billy as opposed to dropping him.

Oh and Doran was rubbish against County which is why he was hooked, he then threw a tantrum which is why we probably havent seen him since the derby. Not that it matters. Marley, Williams and Vincent have all done well since coming back into the fold.

• Agree 3