Hibernian through the eyes of Pat Stanton

Scarlet Pimple

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29756817

I found this article on the SPL site this morning.

Pat Stanton, now aged 70, was aptly described in this article as elegant and decisive. That just about sums up what I saw and admired many years ago. The article shows his outstanding record and I was also not aware that he captained Scotland for a very brief period of time which was after I had left Scotland for Canada. 

During the six years I watched the Hibs at Easter Road as my "home " team from about 1944 to 1950 it was a bit of a change from  East Fife whom Hibs replaced as my regularly-watched team and he was a regular defender on the right side of the pitch and a man who rarely ever lost the ball. He just seemed to stroll through matches, which was deceptive though since his play was always constructive and dynamic.

His comments about the gradual decline of Hibernian F.C, are also interesting as are his veiled reference to Management whom he described as '...who shouldn't have been there at all" can be assessed by fans of ICT for whatever they make of it. 'Nuff said.

Hope you enjoy this expansive article on one of the game's most outstanding and devoted players in Edinburgh. It's notabkle that he stayed with Hibs for his whole career as far as I know but I am willing to be instructed on this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you enjoy this expansive article on one of the game's most outstanding and devoted players in Edinburgh. It's notabkle that he stayed with Hibs for his whole career as far as I know but I am willing to be instructed on this. 

He also played a couple of years at Celtic and made 37 appearances.

He started at Bonnyrigg Rose which is my local Junior club.

Stanton scores

League Cup Final

New Year's Day 1973

In this last one you can see there was no segregation on the terraces.

Edited by TheMantis

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29756817

I found this article on the SPL site this morning.

Pat Stanton, now aged 70, was aptly described in this article as elegant and decisive. That just about sums up what I saw and admired many years ago. The article shows his outstanding record and I was also not aware that he captained Scotland for a very brief period of time which was after I had left Scotland for Canada. 

During the six years I watched the Hibs at Easter Road as my "home " team from about 1944 to 1950 it was a bit of a change from  East Fife whom Hibs replaced as my regularly-watched team and he was a regular defender on the right side of the pitch and a man who rarely ever lost the ball. He just seemed to stroll through matches, which was deceptive though since his play was always constructive and dynamic.

His comments about the gradual decline of Hibernian F.C, are also interesting as are his veiled reference to Management whom he described as '...who shouldn't have been there at all" can be assessed by fans of ICT for whatever they make of it. 'Nuff said.

Must have been the youngest ever defender at Hibs considering he was born in 44. Stanton was actually at Hibs from 63 - 76 before moving,as Mantis states, to Celtic for a couple of seasons.

Would love to see photies mantis?

With Stanton I can only say that he more often than not looked as if he was on skates on smooth ice in the National Hockey League, just flowing through the game.

Apart, perhaps, from Edie Turnbull, Pat Stanton was the only Hibs player that I really remember by name which speaks to the impression he left on me I guess..

There you go......another little bit of back talk from the Workers Compensation Board.

You certainly did Mantis. And what a fantastic job you did of them.

Lads and lasses -if you want to open these links you will see the terracings packed, some great football, great atmosphere and the inimitable Pat Stanton controlling things seemingly effortlessly through the middle.

Remember he was a left half but more often than not he was in the thick of things near the goals.

As a younger player :- Here's one to make you think as well..." Strangely enough they put me on the left to fill a hole and here I was only yards from (the great) Gordon Smith. I looked at him and he looked at me and smiled and my knees turned to jelly."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_EtVGXbVdo

Now, as a man over 60,  he has a fantastic sense of humor and in the first video, at the meeting, he has the fans rolling around. in raucous laughter.  Me too, the tears were rolling down my cheeks as he reminisced.

Thanks Mantis, you have made my day. :notworthy:

In this video that I have just posted above, go to minute number 21 and wait a few seconds. It's about our manager!!

You will hear him talk about the time that "Big John MacNamee was going over to kick JOHN HUGHES and they tried to get a hold of him.This is hilarious........ when MacNamee kicks the Celtic dugout walls and they disintegrate.....ha! Ha! Ha!

I don't think our manager would be too enamoured at being mistaken for playing in that era, Scarlett! The John Hughes in question is the original version - who was 'also' nicknamed 'Yogi'! I use the term 'also', loosely as I assume our John Hughes was named after his predecessor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hughes_(footballer,_born_1943)

Goalkeeper substituted Alex ? when did that start. Most times I remember, an injured goalkeeper would swap shirts with an outfield player then play on in agony on the left wing no subs were allowed. Injured players occasionally returned to the dressing room, would then get strapped up then return to the field later stinking of embrocation oil.

Sneckboy--nooooo! Who would have thunk it?

Did I say that the reference was about our fine new manager?....eh? :crazy:

For me there is only one John Hughes and other invebntions are surplus to requirements.

The main point about this video  re Pat Stanto is that