Shinnie leaving

bdu98196

It'd be foolish for the Dons to increase their wage bill, it's already one of the highest in the country. Their debt wasn't cleared by an increase in income, but by a large one-off donation from a wealthy benefactor.

They'd be much better served investing their money finally building their new stadium. They've been talking about it for years. Surely Milne has no excuse for prevaricating any longer. Pittodrie is a dump.

Once they have their fancy new stadium and facilities, attendances and income should increase. THEN you raise the wage bill.

Alex Jones--a recent article I read about how ambitious the top guys at Aberdeen F.C. are, states  that their  plans call for a new enlarged stadium sooner rather then later. And a move to another location if I read it right.

If the Dons can get Graeme then his brother might also be a possible candidate for an approach a year or so down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure many will not agree but I think the club should give him the BEST offer they can NOW and if he doesn't accept he should be put up for sale in January. We just can't afford to let one of our best players leave for what ill be very little or no compensation.

I'm sure many will not agree but I think the club should give him the BEST offer they can NOW and if he doesn't accept he should be put up for sale in January. We just can't afford to let one of our best players leave for what ill be very little or no compensation.

It may be in ICT's best interest if we hold onto him until his contract runs out cause we all know the offers in January won't be a massive amounts and with having Graeme in the side we may finish higher with him than without him so money could be saved there rather than losing out. I also don't think we should pay over the odds for him to stay when the likes of Watkins, Meekings, Mckay, Tansey and Raven's deals are up at the end of the season. 

• Agree 4

I also think we should try to keep him until the end of the season - at least!

I think we'd be 'cutting off our nose to spite our face' by relegating him to the Development League games, if he hasn't committed to us by a certain time. He's such an important player for us that I think we should offer him a 2-year-deal on greatly improved wages.

Obviously, finding that extra money will be difficult - but Horner and Sekajja seem to be 'peripheral' figures at the club and could be released, freeing up wages.

I wouldn't have any doubts in that respect.  Most successful sportsmen have an inbuilt desire to win, and in case that weren't enough, they also have the financial bonus incentives.  More than anything, though, I think long serving players like Shinnie have a massive amount of loyalty to their team mates and would never want to let them down. I've often thought that our players play for each other, more than they play for a manager, or the club, or the fans.

Even if he signed a PCA with Aberdeen and our last match of the season was against them to decide a European place, I'd still back him.

• Agree 7

I wouldn't have any doubts in that respect.  Most successful sportsmen have an inbuilt desire to win, and in case that weren't enough, they also have the financial bonus incentives.  More than anything, though, I think long serving players like Shinnie have a massive amount of loyalty to their team mates and would never want to let them down. I've often thought that our players play for each other, more than they play for a manager, or the club, or the fans.

Even if he signed a PCA with Aberdeen and our last match of the season was against them to decide a European place, I'd still back him.

Yngwie, I agree with you with exception to the last sentence, if that were to happen I think it would be wise not to play him.

How committed will he be to the cause if he signs a pre contract elsewhere in January though ?

I think Ian Black was pretty committed even though he had signed a PCA with Hearts. It's a fair point nonetheless.

Shinnie will (sadly) be off but I think we will keep him until the summer given he is such a key player for us.

I still wish we would start our contract talks earlier.

• Agree 1

Sneckboy sums it up for me ... pretty much agree with all of that. However I also agree with DC to a point. Some players might lose focus or be less committed to their current club when signing a PCA, and I think it has happened at ICT before. However, based on comments from friends about GS, who is a player that they and their kids know quite well, he seems to be a cracking lad, with a lot of integrity, and I do not think it would be a problem in his case.

I hope we can keep him, but realistically I don't think that will happen. We simply cannot offer the wages he can easily get elsewhere, and even if we could match that, or he himself was not bothered about the money, the continuing snub by the national team manager for any our players who might merit a chance in the dark blue must grate, especially when they know that if they move to a "bigger" club or even to the "right" club they will be in the international setup in a few days !

Sorry guys but I am thinking about the ICT financial situation which really can't afford to give major assets away for nothing. IMO Carlo is as good a defender as Shinnie but not as good going forward. I really don't think the team would suffer as we seem well covered in the more advanced areas. Don't get me wrong, I like Shinnie as a player but I would like to see the club get a return on it's investment and let's not forget this is as much a business transaction for the club as well as Shinnie.  

Caleyboy how much do you think wed get for him in Jan. Remember it's about £70,000 a league place apparently. So my opinion is he's worth keeping till the summer? Can't see Graeme wanting to depart in Jan fir personal reasons either tbh

I can see your point OCG but I don't believe one man makes a team. I really don't know how much he is worth but there is only one way to find out. Put him on the list and see if we get any offers. If we don't get any offers then so be it, the club can't be blamed for not trying. If we didn't have cover I would probably agree with you. I can also see a reason why he wouldn't want to leave in Jan because if your new club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee the player can negotiate a bigger signing on fee. Good deal for the player, poor deal for the club he is leaving. 

Caleyboy how much do you think wed get for him in Jan. Remember it's about £70,000 a league place apparently. So my opinion is he's worth keeping till the summer? Can't see Graeme wanting to depart in Jan fir personal reasons either tbh

I can see your point OCG but I don't believe one man makes a team. I really don't know how much he is worth but there is only one way to find out. Put him on the list and see if we get any offers. If we don't get any offers then so be it, the club can't be blamed for not trying. If we didn't have cover I would probably agree with you. I can also see a reason why he wouldn't want to leave in Jan because if your new club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee the player can negotiate a bigger signing on fee. Good deal for the player, poor deal for the club he is leaving.

To use a Yogi quote: "Football evolves - if it's not you, it's somebody else" That is a statement I agree with and no man should be bigger than the club. Graeme has been a fantastic servant of the club for many years and I really hope he does what's best for himself because he does deserve a 'big break'

The club could all well put Graeme on the transfer market but in truth the offers would fall well under the club's valuation of Graeme. Why would a team pay an excess amount of money when they could in truth get him for free in May - wouldn't make good business sense.

Edited by ICTRoughi

to use another cliche, 'At the end of the day' I will trust Kenny Cameron, Yogi Hughes and Graeme Shinnie to do what is best for all concerned whether that is a departure in January, May, or if we are lucky sometime beyond that in the future ..... 

• Agree 1

In my opinion Andy Shinnie's form did drop a bit. He was dropped to the bench for one game shortly after he signed for them

That was just to give him a chance to get used to the role he would go on to largely occupy at St Andrews....

You knew what I meant... :lol:

To use a Yogi quote: "Football evolves - if it's not you, it's somebody else" That is a statement I agree with and no man should be bigger than the club. Graeme has been a fantastic servant of the club for many years and I really hope he does what's best for himself because he does deserve a 'big break'

The club could all well put Graeme on the transfer market but in truth the offers would fall well under the club's valuation of Graeme. Why would a team pay an excess amount of money when they could in truth get him for free in May - wouldn't make good business sense.

It wouldn't be the first time that players coming to the end of their contract at the end of the season are sold in January. If a club really wants a player they will pay for him in January in order to stop other clubs getting in on the act when he is free to move. It doesn't make good business sense if we do NOT put him up for sale - we may not get any offers but we won't know if we don't try!

It wouldn't be the first time that players coming to the end of their contract at the end of the season are sold in January. If a club really wants a player they will pay for him in January in order to stop other clubs getting in on the act when he is free to move. It doesn't make good business sense if we do NOT put him up for sale - we may not get any offers but we won't know if we don't try!

I agree with caleyboy.  Get what we can for him in January I say.  ICT has always been very good at replacing our 'stars' who have gone on to pastures new.  Have we really missed the likes of Black, Hayes or even Andrew Shinnie?  If we are honest, the answer is probably 'no'.  In this case, if Graeme goes, we have a ready made left back, in Tremarco, already on the books.  OK, he may not be in Graeme's class going forward, but we won't really know until he gets a decent run in the first team.

So, I say, use whatever fee we might get for Shinnie, to help finance extensions for some of the others whose contracts are coming up for renewal.

Just to reiterate, the offers in January will most likely not meet ICT's valuation of Graeme therefore I don't think we should sell Graeme just for the hell of it to make a quick buck. Graeme without a doubt is a valuable asset to the club and I personally feel that we need him in our back four to finish up as high we can in the league and financially the club would be better off if we finish second or third for example - that's where I think money will be made for ICT.

• Agree 3

Just to reiterate, the offers in January will most likely not meet ICT's valuation of Graeme therefore I don't think we should sell Graeme just for the hell of it to make a quick buck. Graeme without a doubt is a valuable asset to the club and I personally feel that we need him in our back four to finish up as high we can in the league and financially the club would be better off if we finish second or third for example - that's where I think money will be made for ICT.

Absolutely agree with this. This is the season to make some more history, to sell Graeme would significantly decrease our chances of that. Aside from the prize money we could lose, it's hard to put a price on a top 3 or a scottish cup final appearance. Tremarco is a good back up but isn't half the player Shinnie is if you ask me. 

Edited by LundavraJag