Interesting chart on attendances

Alex MacLeod

Here's one on ticket prices - 

B2jpl9ZIQAEzcII.jpg

Look at the average attendance at a match in Chile and then look at the ticket prices.  Presumably these clubs must break even somehow and surely the Primera Division is a higher standard than the Scottish Premiership.

• Agree 1

75p to go to a game in Nigeria! Probably cheaper flying there from London than buying a few pints in Knightsbridge then attending the Chelsea game, govner!

Great stats from Alex & Renegade!

I've always been aware that the English Championship was better supported than many county's top leagues, but didn't realise it was as high as 12th in the World!

It does bug me when folk 'go on' about how Andrew Shinnie must 'regret' leaving ICT to go to Birmingham City!

I'd be gutted if Graeme went to Aberdeen or Rangers - the English Championship is far bigger than the Scottish Premiership.

Those attendance tables show the Scottish Premiership to be performing quite well - the per-head-of-population stats consistently put us 2nd.

But they're hideously distorted, but nonetheless accurate, due to Celtic and old-Rangers!

75p to go to a game in Nigeria! Probably cheaper flying there from London than buying a few pints in Knightsbridge then attending the Chelsea game, govner!

Great stats from Alex & Renegade!

I've always been aware that the English Championship was better supported than many county's top leagues, but didn't realise it was as high as 12th in the World!

It does bug me when folk 'go on' about how Andrew Shinnie must 'regret' leaving ICT to go to Birmingham City!

I'd be gutted if Graeme went to Aberdeen or Rangers - the English Championship is far bigger than the Scottish Premiership.

Those attendance tables show the Scottish Premiership to be performing quite well - the per-head-of-population stats consistently put us 2nd.

But they're hideously distorted, but nonetheless accurate, due to Celtic and old-Rangers!

Palace are looking for a left back in January...do I drop a hint on the Palace message boards???

• Agree 1

Alex, I don't think you can say that the cheapest gate prices attract the most fans from the above stats. They are roughly what you would expect - Spain, France and England charging higher prices for a higher quality offering and Germany bucking the trends because of the financial rules in place in the Bundesliga and their greater emphasis on fan participation within far greater population centres. Cheaper running costs are more likely to  relate to lower cost of living and infrastructure costs. You simply can't compare all of these leagues. What I don't get here is the argument about standards. I've not seen it (the peruvian league), but I've no reason to suspect that the standard would be much higher than other south american football that I've watched on the tele when insomnia strikes. It's not streets ahead. It's the same with Portugal - no brilliant from what I've seen. MLS and Australian A league? less than SPFL standard with a greater amount of funding pouring in. It would seem that, in the grand scheme of things, we have a slightly higher than average standard in SPFL with slightly higher than standard prices and slightly less than average crowds. As Scotty says, the real argument comes over having a competent governing body who can do the basics like securing headline sponsorship for League and Cups and providing some kind of service for the funding they generate. That would help take some of the pressure off clubs to maximise every penny of income on a game to game basis and develope a pricing strategy rather than the piecemeal approach we have at present.

• Agree 1

Also there seems no definition of 'typical prices' unless they mean for season ticket holders. Everybody knows the Scottish Premier is about £22 at the gate. The EPL appears very cheap in the table compared to what I've paid recently: £55 at the Etihad this season, last season £48 at Anfield and maybe £36 or so at Hull. Those were all behind the goals too.

Just to pickup on Davie's comment.....

this morning, I have the computer on with Open All Mics. Once again I had to jump through hoops and connect through a UK VPNonly to find there is no live commentary of any game on Radio Scotland and with no disrespect intended, we have Barry Wilson at the TCS reporting on our game (when he is asked to make a comment). Open All Mics is a shark tank ... you need to butt in, be rude and forcefully make your comments, otherwise you get heard about 3 times in the whole 90. Barry is not a broadcaster and does not have the experience of OAM that the others do so its basically lights out at the TCS in terms of knowing anything thats going on. time to head over to twitter methinks

Meanwhile ... on Toronto "cooncil telly" .... I can watch the Everton, Chelsea, Man City, or Leicester games and the Arsenal/Man U game will be on live too. Only the Stoke game (not on any channel I can see) and the Newcastle game (on that obscure channel I mentioned in the other thread) are unavailable to me .....

SPFL marketing at its best .......  

• Agree 1

Just to pickup on Davie's comment.....

this morning, I have the computer on with Open All Mics. Once again I had to jump through hoops and connect through a UK VPNonly to find there is no live commentary of any game on Radio Scotland and with no disrespect intended, we have Barry Wilson at the TCS reporting on our game (when he is asked to make a comment). Open All Mics is a shark tank ... you need to butt in, be rude and forcefully make your comments, otherwise you get heard about 3 times in the whole 90. Barry is not a broadcaster and does not have the experience of OAM that the others do so its basically lights out at the TCS in terms of knowing anything thats going on. time to head over to twitter methinks

Meanwhile ... on Toronto "cooncil telly" .... I can watch the Everton, Chelsea, Man City, or Leicester games and the Arsenal/Man U game will be on live too. Only the Stoke game (not on any channel I can see) and the Newcastle game (on that obscure channel I mentioned in the other thread) are unavailable to me .....

SPFL marketing at its best .......  

Who do you think could get this resolved or at least take ownership of the problem, would a podcast resolve this.

cant be solved for a while ... the SPL sold their overseas rights to video for a few pennies to a company that really is only interested in broadcasting in China and that runs for a good while yet. The radio thing is ongoing and part of the problem is that clubs can demand the BBC to block it overseas so they decided just to block everything instead of doing what they used to which was broadcasting the ones without blocks worldwide. They also switched from live coverage of every game to just one per week due to cuts.

However, its not as simple as getting the rights sorted out. the bigger problem is getting sponsors and media companies interested in investing in and broadcasting the SPFL to a global audience and that starts on the pitch or in the corridors of power. In certain areas the old adage of "the more we change, the more we stay the same" seems to apply just as much to the SFA/SPFL as it did to the SFA/SPL/SFL