Nicknames

JIMFURD

I was thinking the other day about going to see the Caley in my youth - from early 50s -and some names came back to me like Juppy  or was it Joopy Mitchell presumably because he could jupe round an opponent and also players like Ginger Mackenzie, Porridge MacIntosh, Stootie Fraser and I'm sure others. So I thought how did these nicknames come about - OK Ginger is pretty obvious but Porridge?? So anybody out there who can explain how and why these nicknames came to be and there must be other Caley teams of old with famous or maybe infamous nicknames. Can any of you auld yins or young uns remember any?

I remember these Caley players well from my young days.  No idea where 'Porridge' came from.    'Stootie' Fraser presumably because he carried a bit of weight?  Also from that team was Frankie McBeth, called 'the Arab'.  I'm not sure why.  'Ginger' and 'Joopy' were of course the stars of that side around the start of the 50s.

'Stootie' Fraser presumably because he carried a bit of weight?  

So not too much of a surprise then that "Stootie" is Roshie's dad :lol: I believe Stootie is still alive, well and into his 90s.

You could add Donnie "Doxers" MacDonald (Kevin's dad) and my very good friend Bryan "Striker" Munro. There's also Billy "Wad" Skinner and in the Howden End in that era you would find David "Dots" MacDonald and "Rod The Mod" while in the committee room there was Caley's very last Treasurer, another good friend of Mine "Jud" - which is simply an acronym for John Urquhart Douglas.

AHHAA, Caley mad far away in Berks that is my era too, Frankie MacBeath on the right wing and Willie Donnachie on the left getting the ball in for Ginger MacKenzie to nod home from the inside left position Willie Bruce in goals and Bobby Bolt right half, Peter Mckinnon centre half all great players. I heard that the Arab stemmed from Frankie's fondness of a visit to the pub before and after the match, I can't verify it though.

Good memories CMIB happy Caley days.

Bobby Bolt? Ex Rangers and  I always remembered the sweat on his brow. His son, also named Bobby as I recall, played with Caley for a short time but never seemed to make it. Very hard I imagine to keep up with the reputation of his hard-working Dad.

Peter MacKinnon--Pete was well known to me since he lived next door to me and was a very nice man indeed--always a cheery and friendly word for a young boy(me) who, well, kinda idolized him. What a physique he had and what a constitution. He used to dance in the penalty area  on his massively muscled calves on his tiptoes in his role of centre half and few strikers or balls got past him. One of the most nimble footballers on record.He passed away not that many years ago and has always been fondly remembered by me for his genuine nature and his kind heart.

Did you know that he transferred to Elgin for 50 pounds? What a steal in these days players were, eh? Changed days now, what?

I remember Frank MacBeath too on the right wing, Bughtmaster. Rather elegant, effective player he was. Nothing particularly fancy, just diligently did his job. :clapoverhead:

Man, you'll have to stop this reminiscing back to our boyhood or you're going to make me shed a tear from old memories.

AHHAA, Caley mad far away in Berks that is my era too, Frankie MacBeath on the right wing and Willie Donnachie on the left getting the ball in for Ginger MacKenzie to nod home from the inside left position Willie Bruce in goals and Bobby Bolt right half, Peter Mckinnon centre half all great players. I heard that the Arab stemmed from Frankie's fondness of a visit to the pub before and after the match, I can't verify it though.

Yes, Bughtmaster, happy days indeed.  Just one small point, Willie Donnachie played for Clach!!  There is a photo on another thread of the Clach team which includes him.  The Caley left winger was usually Ernie Fraser. Full Caley team from that era (1950/51ish) was usually :-

Bruce

McGillivray Maronski (spelling??) 'Stootie' Fraser took over at left back when Maronski returned to Poland!

Bolt McKinnon McIntosh

McBeth Jamieson Mitchell McKenzie Fraser

I know its difficult to compare teams from different eras, but I don't ever remember a better Caley team.  Glad to here that 'Stootie' Fraser is sill alive.  I wonder how many others? The only one I was in touch with  for a while was 'Ginger'/Donnie McKenzie.  I visited him a couple of times in Winnepeg, but that is going back more years than I care to remember!

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks

'Stootie' Fraser presumably because he carried a bit of weight?  

So not too much of a surprise then that "Stootie" is Roshie's dad :lol: I believe Stootie is still alive, well and into his 90s.

You could add Donnie "Doxers" MacDonald (Kevin's dad) and my very good friend Bryan "Striker" Munro. There's also Billy "Wad" Skinner and in the Howden End in that era you would find David "Dots" MacDonald and "Rod The Mod" while in the committee room there was Caley's very last Treasurer, another good friend of Mine "Jud" - which is simply an acronym for John Urquhart Douglas.

If you are going into the slightly more modern era and including the likes of 'Wad' then of course you have to include his schoolmate and team-mate at Thistle Billy "Canyon" Neilson. Not sure of the origin of 'Canyon'. Him, Wad, Ian "Claud" MacLeod, and Donald MacDonald formed the backbone of the Dalneigh School team that went on to be a decent High School team too. Only Donald supports ICT as far as I am aware.   

Yes, Bughtmaster, happy days indeed.  Just one small point, Willie Donnachie played for Clach!!  There is a photo on another thread of the Clach team which includes him.  The Caley left winger was usually Ernie Fraser. Full Caley team from that era (1950/51ish) was usually :-

Bruce

McGillivray Maronski (spelling??) 'Stootie' Fraser took over at left back when Maronski returned to Poland!

Bolt McKinnon McIntosh

McBeth Jamieson Mitchell McKenzie Fraser

I know its difficult to compare teams from different eras, but I don't ever remember a better Caley team.  Glad to here that 'Stootie' Fraser is sill alive.  I wonder how many others? The only one I was in touch with  for a while was 'Ginger'/Donnie McKenzie.  I visited him a couple of times in Winnepeg, but that is going back more years than I care to remember!

Laughing my head off here about Willie Donnachie, another senior moment I'm afraid, however my perfect Caley team included Bob Galloway at left back but I cant remember when he came into the Team 'cause I can remember Stootie in the team as well.

There always seemed to be good crowds at Telford Street in these days and I remember the crush to change ends at half time. Us younguns used to run along the touch line to get behind the goals, no stewards needed in these days!!

"crowds at Telford Street in these days and I remember the crush..."

Paraphrasing the original post to emphasise the 'crush' aspect. I remember ending up on my face, eating turf, once at a Telford Street, a Caledonian game - circa 1984,/85 when an advertising hording gave way. It wasn't even considered a big deal. Nobody injured - game on. It's a good memory for me.

Nowadays, it's an embarrassed 'sorry' or 'excuse me', 'just squeeze past!' as one shuffles along sideways like a crab, bothering everyone in their row of seats.

It's like being at Eden Court!

Then the further annoyance - excruciatingly, the half-time eating brigade, start returning - in phases! (you need durable thighs and a good temperament)

You can't bargain with them - you're up - down - covered in sauce - accused of being in the wrong seat...

Then the further annoyance - excruciatingly, the half-time eating brigade, start returning - in phases! ...

I just cannot understand why people pay good money to watch 90 minutes of football and then spend a chunk of that time queueing for food in a place where they can't see the game.

because they dont get them delivered like you do Charles ....  :lol:

Then the further annoyance - excruciatingly, the half-time eating brigade, start returning - in phases! ...

I just cannot understand why people pay good money to watch 90 minutes of football and then spend a chunk of that time queueing for food in a place where they can't see the game.

Oh dear a bit rich coming from someone who has never ever paid for a match ticket while gorging himself on free pies and cups of tea

Dougal

because they dont get them delivered like you do Charles ....  :lol:

:lol:  :laugh:  :clapoverhead:

However that still doesn't make the practice of investing a chunk of the duration of a fotoball match someone has paid to see in going to the pie shop any less questionable.

By the way, to return to nicknames, there is a well known taxi driver of this parish, an avid Rangers fan, who goes under the title of "Roddy The Proddy"!

Edited by Charles Bannerman