BBC: Clueless Again

HawkeyeTheGnu

I can't remember when we went full-time. I was thinking it may have been a little later than the move to TCS. Perhaps it happened after we were promoted to the old First Division?

As for the BBC, they irked me the other day! Was reading an article about Celtic's ambitions to one day move to either England or a European league.

The journalist said something along the lines of  (paraphrased) ....frankly, Celtic should be playing the likes of Inter Milan instead of Inverness....

Obviously playing on the initial 'I', for effect,  but why not use Real Madrid/Ross County or Dortmund/Dundee!

Edited by Sneckboy

I can't remember when we went full-time. I was thinking it may have been a little later than the move to TCS. Perhaps it happened after we were promoted to the old First Division?

As for the BBC, they irked me the other day! Was reading an article about Celtic's ambitions to one day move to either England or a European league.

The journalist said something along the lines of  (paraphrased) ....frankly, Celtic should be playing the likes of Inter Milan instead of Inverness....

Obviously playing on the initial 'I', for effect,  but why not use Real Madrid/Ross County or Dortmund/Dundee!

This article is why there is little to no sympathy for Rangers. 'The game will die' 'Scottish football needs Rangers' etc etc but yet no mention of this when this idea of Celtic (and Rangers most likely) leaving to join the extremely boring Euro Super League idea.

• Agree 1

The BBC are even more clueless this week!!!! I missed the highlights on Saturday night tv, due to a Ladies Night Out. However, as per my usual, I went onto BBC News Sport to see our highlights there...... it is listed as St Mirren v ICT but the highlights are actually Falkirk v Hamilton!!!! on the ICT section. How can they do that???? Can anyone in the powers that be contact the BBC and get this sorted....please please.

• Agree 1

The BBC are even more clueless this week!!!! I missed the highlights on Saturday night tv, due to a Ladies Night Out. However, as per my usual, I went onto BBC News Sport to see our highlights there...... it is listed as St Mirren v ICT but the highlights are actually Falkirk v Hamilton!!!! on the ICT section. How can they do that???? Can anyone in the powers that be contact the BBC and get this sorted....please please.

You haven't missed much, it is now there under Cup Round-up One, a whole 40 seconds of footage, just the goals, Tommy Craig's interview after is longer than the game footage.

I am in complete agreement with you Rasczac, the coverage was absolutely pathetic again, is it any wonder we are not getting larger crowds at our games when we are being starved of publicity. All the attention was given to the usual suspects yet we are only behind Celtic on goal difference. I think we may have got half a second's more coverage than Brora.

I fear that if we were to win the European cup the headlines would be based on what the Old Firm were planning to do the next season.

As for Chick's match comments well!!!!!!!!!!  If he is near our Stadium tomorrow night,  I hope someone will put him in a rowing boat with the oars chained up and send him out on a fast receding tide.. He can be rescued after the match is over by the BBC helicopter.

I am in complete agreement with you Rasczac, the coverage was absolutely pathetic again, is it any wonder we are not getting larger crowds at our games when we are being starved of publicity. All the attention was given to the usual suspects yet we are only behind Celtic on goal difference. I think we may have got half a second's more coverage than Brora.

I fear that if we were to win the European cup the headlines would be based on what the Old Firm were planning to do the next season.

As for Chick's match comments well!!!!!!!!!!  If he is near our Stadium tomorrow night,  I hope someone will put him in a rowing boat with the oars chained up and send him out on a fast receding tide.. He can be rescued after the match is over by the BBC helicopter.

Chick ... a commentator?  He took ages to decide who scored, then had to be corrected, then corrected again.   Total plonker, or as that MP said, maybe a pleb - which is more suitable?

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before and I stand by it - I am more than happy to continue to fly under the radar and go into a lot of games as the underdog. I think we do better with less pressure on us. if we were to get talked up in the media so much then that might change.

• Agree 3

Stuff like this makes my blood boil. We're 2nd and have beaten Utd this season and a lot more comfortably than the scoreline suggested.  But naturally we're not even considered. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30432818

To be fair to Jackie McNamara, it looks like he was asked specifically about Dundee Utd and Aberdeen, then he brought up that ICT are second and doing well. So at least the other managers look to take us seriously, even if the media aren't.

I've said it before and I stand by it - I am more than happy to continue to fly under the radar and go into a lot of games as the underdog. I think we do better with less pressure on us. if we were to get talked up in the media so much then that might change.

This.

Going back to the subject of full-time, the manager and 12 of the players went full-time at the start of the 1997-98 season. We also had 6 players on part-time contracts, the likes of Jim Calder, Paul Cherry and Iain MacArthur.

Going back to the subject of full-time, the manager and 12 of the players went full-time at the start of the 1997-98 season. We also had 6 players on part-time contracts, the likes of Jim Calder, Paul Cherry and Iain MacArthur.

That's what I thought happened.

I note the following line in the BBC website report of today's game.

"Marley Watkins squandered a chance with an over-precise angled shot"

How on earth can something be "over-precise"?  Something is either precise or it isn't.  Had Marley's shot been precise he would have scored!

Directly above this nonsense is a picture of Stevenson putting the ball past Brill for the first goal.  The caption reads "Stevenson was alert to take advantage of Gallacher's hesitancy for the opening goal".

Some of the journalists at the Beeb these days are indeed clueless.

• Agree 2

According to the BBC, we were a part-time club when we knocked Celtic out in 2000.

Nothing like quality, well researched journalism.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30235604

I think Jim Calder (day job - brickie) and Martin Bavidge (day job - oil industry) were both on £15 a week at that time.

To be fair, I think the distinction between part-time and full-time is less stark than it once was. Alloa outclassing Rangers exemplifies how things have changed. Modern high intensity training methods mean you can reach a high level of physical fitness and conditioning with just a few hours training a week, no need to run around all day - although most so called 'full time' players in Scotland certainly don't do a full days shift (9 to 5) by any manner of means.

To be fair, I think the distinction between part-time and full-time is less stark than it once was. Alloa outclassing Rangers exemplifies how things have changed. Modern high intensity training methods mean you can reach a high level of physical fitness and conditioning with just a few hours training a week, no need to run around all day - although most so called 'full time' players in Scotland certainly don't do a full days shift (9 to 5) by any manner of means.

Alex... making conditioning training of a higher intensity doesn't necessarily make it more effective. For instance you won't build much aerobic endurance by running sprints all of the time. Also, high intensity conditioning sessions often actually take longer since recovery times within the session are much longer. For example you could do a relatively low intensity session of 400m runs with a 200m jog between efforts in less than 20 minutes. On the other hand doing a series of 60 or 80m sprints for speed/speed endurance would take longer because you would need to take much longer recoveries between your runs for the session to be effective. Similarly, lifting weights at around maximum loading needs long recoveries.

The other consideration is that there are so many different boxes that need to be ticked for a team ball sport.

In the case of "fitness" you need to pay attention to speed, strength, endurance and various combinations of these three as well as to the likes of mobility. Then you also need time to cover personal technical ball skills as well as whole-team manoeuvres such as what are called "training ground moves".

If players are doing just 2-3 evening training sessions in addition to games, I just can't see how that could be nearly as effective as daily and sometimes twice daily sessions.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

BBC reporting that despite Dundee Utd losing today they remain 2nd, but that if Aberdeen win at inverness they will go second.  What they fail to mention is that if Inverness win at Inverness it is Inverness who will go 2nd.  If Inverness win it will no doubt be about Aberdeen losing and missing the opportunity of going 2nd rather than ICT winning and actually going 2nd.

• Agree 2

BBC reporting that despite Dundee Utd losing today they remain 2nd, but that if Aberdeen win at inverness they will go second.  What they fail to mention is that if Inverness win at Inverness it is Inverness who will go 2nd.  If Inverness win it will no doubt be about Aberdeen losing and missing the opportunity of going 2nd rather than ICT winning and actually going 2nd.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the worst poster ever in CTO history voted by us works for said organisation does he not?

A match made in heaven although the heaven part is debatable

Dougal