Ally McCoist Offers His Resignation

KennySim93

Despite the timing, I cant see the Rangers/Butcher thing happening ... was there not some falling out between him and the club/fans a few years ago? I think there is more likelihood of McCall going there and have thought this might be the case ever since he resigned (as these kinds of situations can sometimes take weeks or even months to get everyone/everything into place). He didn't have a great start this season but the past few were pretty good considering that every year he was faced with a rebuilding job. I very much doubt he was on a shoogly peg at Fir Park so there must be some other reason for his resignation.  

Rangers will not have McCoist in place as and when they return to the top league that's a certainty. He had the chance to serve his managerial apprenticeship as Rangers climbed the divisions and with the resources at his hand - even in administration - he should have blown away all the competition ... but they have stuttered and stumbled towards the top league and I doubt anyone thinks he can hack it in the Premiership. McCall (and even Butcher) have been there and done that although I think Butcher has more of a relegation history than McCall :lol:

You couldn't make it up.  You have to laugh but unfortunately the comedy of it all hides a real sickness at the club that tarnishes Scottish football.  The club don't want him, he doesn't want to be at the club but they are paying him £3/4million for 12 months to do a job he is sh*te at.  There are far better managers at far better clubs getting paid far less than him.  Most clubs are desperately short of funds and yet so much of the money that comes into the Scottish game ends up being drained away in the Ibrox cesspit.

• Agree 1

Doesn't it make you laugh! I don't do walking away but if I resign my salary will go back up to £750k for the next 12 months. FFS I'm now sprinting!!!! (for the first time in my life)

Edited by caleyboy

Not that I'm by any means a Rangers fan, and am happy to be contradicted,,,,,,,,but didn't Ally work, when the club was in administration for nothing, and then took a pay cut from his contracted wage for some time to help the finances?  He will, in that case have spent a relatively small proportion of his time as manager receiving the wage to which he was contractually entitled.  Seems to me that over the piece, if that was the case, Rangers did quite well out of him.  Hardly his fault that the players, who were being paid, didn't do their jobs against "lesser" teams. 

• Agree 1

Have you been at the Christmas sherry, Oddquine! You're the last person I would have expected to have a wee leaning towards the Union-flag-waving Ibrox lot!

But joking aside, I see what you're getting at, from the legal perspective. Obviously, It wasn't his 'fault' he was on a reported £800,000 per annum in the 4th tier. If my employers were daft enough to offer me that...

The wages being paid to McCoist and the players during their time in the lower leagues was utterly ridiculous and just part of the gross mis-management that's been on-going since the club was rebirthed. As creditors were left in the lurch when the club's debts were written off in liquidation, the new Rangers had a clean slate to start from. 

They squandered an opportunity when the 'newco' was launched - and haven't learned from the mistakes that saw the demise of the old club.

It still irks me when journalists report that, after liquidation, they were demoted to the Third Division or 'relegated' to the bottom tier.

It is against business law for a phoenix outfit to masquerade as being the same-as-before, after a liquidation event.

They simply were 'accepted' into the vacancy that had arisen in the bottom tier after one of the member clubs disappeared! There's really no grey area - that is what happened - despite this being against the rules of the Scottish League which require clubs to prove their financial viability by submitting three-years of auditable accounts.

They should currently be in the Lowland League, seeking to enter the SPFL via the Pyramid play-offs at the end of the season.

Strayed a bit off-topic there!

• Agree 3

Nothing to do with having a leaning towards Rangers, Sneckboy...but I have always had a lot of time for Ally McCoist as a Scotland player, and have always thought he was a decent enough bloke...though I have no opinion on whether he was a good, bad or indifferent team manager.  While I think wages in the top of the top divisions, world-wide, for players and management, are beyond ridiculous, Ally McCoist can hardly be blamed for a Rangers Board which appears to use Danny Alexander's calculator to work out club income and expenditure, and fail abysmally to balance both sides of the equation. 

I am horrified, but not at all surprised, that the Ranger's Board, from what I have read, saw fit to talk publicly about his wage for his notice year only, without mentioning his no-wage and short pay wage periods...it obviously suited them to make Ally look worse than he was.so they could pretend to be less bad than they are.  Given the continuing spending levels at the club, the administration experience has, so far, not taught the Rangers board, and many of the fans, that you can't buy success forever. Too many Rangers supporters are more interested in maintaining their "biggest, best and most important club in Scotland because we are the most heavily indebted" tag, and feel they are entitled to always win games without giving any credit to the ability and application of the "diddy" teams.....and can't quite get the heads round the fact that the "diddy" teams haven't quite bought into their  "we just have to turn up on the pitch to win, because we are Rangers" mantra.

At some stage the Rangers will have to learn to cut their clothes according to their cloth.or they will be facing administration #2...and maybe then the SFA will actually do their job properly without doing a Westminster-style exercise of producing laws/rules/loopholes off the top of their heads on the spur of the immediate situation.  Rules/Laws produced after the event tend to be knee-jerk, not properly considered and open to future abuse. The fact that Westminster, and time to time the Scottish Government does stupid doesn't make stupid the only way to go.

(and I don't do Christmas Sherry.but will admit to a bottle of Fleurie!)

I don't believe McCoist ever, technically, worked for free.  Like others he merely accepted that cash flow was non existent and he'd have to wait for what he was due under the "footballing debt" rules which assured him of his cash despite all external creditors being told to do one.

I have no issue with him taking/seeking what he is legally entitled....but let's not try and paint him as some kind of Saint.