Inverness CT -V- Partick Th

Scotty

Full marks to Partick who thoroughly deserved their victory.  Even when they were four up they worked really hard and closed us down quickly whilst offering plenty of movement when in possession.  It was an object lesson in how to beat us when we try to play patient possession football.  The dissapointing thing was that when it was clear that Partick had the right tactics there was no plan B.

There was no leadership off the park and none on it.  Shinnie looked as though he was completely uninterested so perhaps it is time to "rest" him, bring in Tremarco and give the captain's arm band to Warren. 

Hopefully the players and the manager will know they fell well short of acceptable standards today and will pick themselves up and do better next time.

• Agree 1

These idiots that ran on to the pitch are not only an embarrassment to themselves but they have embarrassed Caley Thistle. Our club does not need fans like this.

Who knows what the consequences of this will be for the club. Will we need to pay out for more stewards? Will the club face a fine or any other sanction.

So yes the silly little boys that ran onto the pitch do need dealt with and made to face up to their irresponsible actions.

Only highlight of the game was those two young boys. Just a game we need to get out of our systems ASAP and put our minds towards the perth saints

Gutless performance ,lucky to get away losing only 4

Absolutely no pass marks today except for maybe David Ravven

Eh?   Raven is a feckin donkey !   we need a right back for sure.    no ICT player can put their hand up and say they tried today, they were a total mess, no effort no attitude and def. no idea how to combat Parpricks in the face football.

Brill also needs to look at his performance, he was a shambles apart from his one good save.

Really disappointed with the team.  hope this in not a collapse like last season at this stage.

That's a pretty harsh assessment IMO. Raven was all over the pitch defending and pushing forward, even covering at left back when Shinnie wandered over to the right in the first half. The 'goal' that he scored should have stood from my angle in the main stand but will watch highlights tomorrow. In no way is David Raven a 'donkey', if anything at times I would class him as an unsung hero.

I also think its a harsh analogy to say the players didn't try, of course they tried. In all honesty we were defeated by a good football team today- it happens!

• Agree 4

Gutless performance ,lucky to get away losing only 4

Absolutely no pass marks today except for maybe David Ravven

Eh?   Raven is a feckin donkey !   we need a right back for sure.    no ICT player can put their hand up and say they tried today, they were a total mess, no effort no attitude and def. no idea how to combat Parpricks in the face football.

Brill also needs to look at his performance, he was a shambles apart from his one good save.

Really disappointed with the team.  hope this in not a collapse like last season at this stage.

.......You bud must have been dropped cause you have some major problems if you think Raven is "A Donkey" he is one of the best RB's the club has ever had if we got rid of him we won't find as many with the in game knowledge that he has i.e. where to run to, when to run to, positioning ect.  

• Agree 2

That performance and result :laugh: How else can you react to something like that? Abysmal from ICT today and what a way for the unbeaten home record to go. Our normally reliant defence was all at sea today. Midfield never got going and we struggled to create anything up front. Every player, maybe except Tansey, should be pretty disappointed with how they played today.

First chance of the game went the way of ICT when Watkins sprang the offside trap but his low shot went wide of Gallachers right post. We perhaps started the better of the two teams but Partick took the lead thanks to a mistake at the back which set the tone for the day. Elliot was able to send a cross in from the ICT left side and as Brill waited to collect the low ball Stevenson stole in just in front of him and poked the ball into the net. Rotten goal from an ICT perspective but it was excellent anticipation from Stevenson to nip in and grab the opener.

ICT tried to get back into things but Partick were all over them pressing Inverness high up the pitch. Partick had clearly cottoned onto the desire to play the ball around at the back or, at goal kicks, short to either the centre backs or wide to Shinnie or Raven sitting on the left or right touchline. At one goal kick, when most players tend to congregate on one side of the pitch on the half way line, Partick had around six players inside the Inverness half anticipating a short ball from Brill to his defenders or a short lofted pass to the flanks. Time and time again Partick chased and harassed the Caley players who tried to pass it out from the back and each time the Inverness players were forced back or conceded possession.

The second goal was a direct result of this intense pressing game. A short ball from Brill to Warren was closed down and the ball won back by Higginbotham who turned and fed the onrushing Stevenson who coolly placed a shot beyond Brill. for the rest of the half ICT were restricted to long range efforts with Tansey being denied twice by Gallacher. Brill then stopped it becoming 3 - 0 when he produced an outrageous save from a Seaborne header. it was a bit like the save Mikey Fraser pulled off in a win over Celtic.

Into the second half and ICT started well but Partick made it 3 - 0 when a cross came in from the ICT left and Fraser leapt highest to nod in via the bar. It looked like Brill should probably have come to claim the cross as he didn't look too far away from it but that may be harsh as my view from the other end of the ground may not be the best. Game over.

Caley tried to at least get on the score sheet and there followed an incident packed couple of minutes. Draper burst into the Partick penalty area and tried to find a team mate to pass to but pressed on towards goal before tumbling over under pressure from a couple of opponents. It looked like a reasonable claim for a spot kick but I wasn't completely convinced and, more importantly, neither was Beaton and he waved play on. Tansey struck another wide range effort not long after which Gallacher was equal to as he sprang to his right and pushed it round the post. From the resultant corner Warren went tumbling over in the box and there were more claims for a penalty and again Beaton waved them away. The ball was cleared to Raven who smashed the ball into the net from about 30 yards but Beaton ruled that Mckay was offside and as he ducked out of the way of the ball he was interfering with play. Will be interesting to see that one again but alternative maryhill who was at the game said Mckay also tried to the flick the ball on so perhaps it was the right decision.

Partick grabbed a fourth with another cross from the ICT left which was headed in this time by Balatoni. After this the game pretty much fizzled out. Partick had done their job and sat back and defended for the rest of the game. ICT prodded and probed but struggled to break down the Partick defence. The only incident of note was when Gallacher tried to take a goal kick and two young ICT fans ran onto the pitch, one tried to pull down his shorts and the other 'scored' a goal. Gallacher seemed to take it well and when I asked him after the game what he thought of it he said that he was raging he hadn't kept a clean sheet :laugh: 

Partick just seem to have our number this season and I can't say I am looking forward to the Cup game in February. We need to try and find a way to combat the apparent high intensity, pressing game that they employ against us otherwise we will be getting thrashed again in a couple of months.
  • Agree 4

One of those days when everyone was p1sh. We've always had our fair quota of those in a season. Everyone does. As Terry Butcher says - you just have to scrunch it up and throw it in the bin.

I don't buy the 'bogey team' view. Partick aren't that good a side. They've had more than their fair share of luck and contentious refereeing decisions against us in recent times. Today was no different. Not saying they didn't deserve to win the game, but taking the lead against the run of play from a move where their man was about 3 yards offside, and having a perfectly good Inverness goal against them ruled out (how many times has that happened?) - we're due a bit of luck against them.

What is evident though is that you can't play the same 11 / system every week. Next time we play Partick and their entire system is set up to disrupt our passing game and force errors by pressing high up the pitch, it leaves space in other areas that we can exploit. For every move there's a counter move. Unfortunately we didn't make any adjustments in our style at all today, even when it was clear it wasn't working. County played exactly the same way against us and we were lucky not to be 4-0 down at half time. We weren't so lucky today. The way we adapted our tactics in the second half against County was the textbook example of how to counter the high pressing game, and exactly how we should play against Partick next time out.   

If some of our players were starting to get complacent and over-confident, today was a good reality check. There are no easy games in this league.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

Some caley fans really are a disgrace! Still second In the league and that's the first game at home we have lost and some fans still boo the team off the park! Yet they will still jump on the bandwagon when they are playing well. Attendances are bad enough but I don't want fans like that attending, just constantly putting the team down when they can! If you are such perfectionists become footballers yourself

• Agree 5

Shock! Horror!  Bad day at the Office, First Home loss, I suppose it had to happen sometime.

Might make Partick over confident for our cup match ................Always look on the bright side!

We've never really had a good game against Partick. They always seem to turn us over, just like they did at their place earlier in the season - our first league defeat if I remember correctly. This result shouldn't be a shock although, I have to say, the scoreline is. If we cast our minds back to the County game, we could have been 0-4 down at HT in that but we got lucky. These freak results do happen every season and we've just had ours. We do have the chance for redemption in the cup but I wouldn't bank on it to be honest. A bad day at the office for ICT who will pick themselves up. The only bright spot for me was the fact I never made it up for this game (which was planned) so at least I wont get the blame this time :lol:

• Agree 1

Just watched the second goal for Partick again and I didn't realise that we had struggled to clear the ball so badly. I had thought we played it short to Warren but we were hemmed in by Thistle, ball back to Brill, clearance gets headed back towards our goal and Higginbotham wins a header which is then flicked into the path of Stevenson. Still not great from our point of view.

Of-course I can blame you, you are one point ahead of me in the NPL ...............You must have planned this result to throw me!!!!!!!!!

Shock! Horror!  Bad day at the Office, First Home loss, I suppose it had to happen sometime.

Might make Partick over confident for our cup match ................Always look on the bright side!

We've never really had a good game against Partick. They always seem to turn us over, just like they did at their place earlier in the season - our first league defeat if I remember correctly. This result shouldn't be a shock although, I have to say, the scoreline is. If we cast our minds back to the County game, we could have been 0-4 down at HT in that but we got lucky. These freak results do happen every season and we've just had ours. We do have the chance for redemption in the cup but I wouldn't bank on it to be honest. A bad day at the office for ICT who will pick themselves up. The only bright spot for me was the fact I never made it up for this game (which was planned) so at least I wont get the blame this time :lol:

• Agree 1

Some caley fans really are a disgrace! Still second In the league and that's the first game at home we have lost and some fans still boo the team off the park! Yet they will still jump on the bandwagon when they are playing well. Attendances are bad enough but I don't want fans like that attending, just constantly putting the team down when they can! If you are such perfectionists become footballers yourself

I found it mindboggling that people around me left the game 10 mins into the second half.

Please calm down guys, we are still 2nd and lost 4 games all season (Celtic; Aberdeen and twice to Partick), have beaten Celtic and are still in cup.

I for one am NOT panicking and DO back team to bounce back sooner rather than later.

We have bounced back from bad results before and I'm sure players WILL want to make up for today with a performance next weekend.

As a Liverpool supporting friend always says (even if it is regarding Reds) "Keep the faith".

Remember these very wise words :ictscarf:.

These idiots that ran on to the pitch are not only an embarrassment to themselves but they have embarrassed Caley Thistle. Our club does not need fans like this.

Who knows what the consequences of this will be for the club. Will we need to pay out for more stewards? Will the club face a fine or any other sanction.

So yes the silly little boys that ran onto the pitch do need dealt with and made to face up to their irresponsible actions.

I sit in the North stand couldn't believe some of the comments, guy behind me was convinced it was all Hughes fault, and they should hoof it, it seemed to escape him we are in second place in the League and that  the day it does wrong he thinks  we should abandon the method of play that got us there! . Then this is the same guy who thought the two idiots were justified in entering the field of play  approaching the goalkeeper..."seemingly it was just a bit of fun, like the Dundee Utd supporters when they avoided relegation" I couldn't see the connection myself. I would imagine we will face a fine for this behaviour, and so we should, if this had happened at the other end and two Partick fans had approached Dean Brill. Its important to recognise Paul Gallacher's (PTs Keeper) part in this incident, he although initially a bit concerned, once he realised they were harmless idiots did not over react in any way and was a credit to his team.

I would encourage the  booing  'fans' to keep coming as the team need your money, but it is worth considering as the January window approaches any player who is considering a move may be influenced by your actions if they cant decide to stay or go.

• Agree 1

Too many players out of sorts today. Our midfield was outfoxed and the defence couldn't handle the pressure. Hughes also culpable with pre-match crap about how he didn't know how to deal with Partick. I still can't understand why Christie didn't start ahead of Vincent.

The ref didn't help either. He made some awful decisions in the period before their second goal. At least three free kicks should have been awarded to us before then. The disallowed goal decision at 0-3 down was a disgrace.

At least we got that bad result out the way before we play Aberdeen.

Agree with this.Stewards that were there were very slow to react tho.

That's an understatement they did not react at all. If the club is fined for the incident it is the stewarding provider that should be paying it! The taller of the two invaders ran onto the pitch, scored a goal then ran all the way across to the corner flag ( where all stewards were standing) jumped the wall, ran past the stewards, think he might have given them a wee wave on the way past, then presumably made his escape via one of the open gates out the ground? The shorter invader did the same but this time one steward decided to tackle him and managed to detain him.

Yet, as I witnessed last season, when some very young inverness fans bang on the advertising boards at the back of the north stand to try to drum up some atmosphere they're immediately pounced on by a steward telling them to stop!

It's quite unbelievable really. I expect the club pay a vast amount of money for the provision of stewards but I certainly don't feel it's money well spent! I think us fans would do a better job of policing ourselves. Imho stewarding is one of the main factors contributing to the ever decreasing scottish football attendances these days.

• Agree 4

Perspective is required! Yes, it was a chastening defeat but we're in a great position.

16 games is effectively the half-way point in the 33 game 'regular' season and we've got 32 points. The season we finished 4th, we had 25 points at this stage.

Last season when we ended 5th, we managed to beat the points tally that secured us 4th place, when our final total was 57.

And 57 is a 'handy benchmark' as it's exactly 1.5 points-per-game. We're currently averaging exactly 2 points-per-game thanks to the spadework in the early part of the season - we mustn't let one result undermine that. Those 32 points we worked so hard for haven't gone away - we just didn't add to them yesterday!

Corresponding stage after 16 games:

2004/05  13

2005/06  19

2006/07  20

2007/08  19

2008/09  17

2010/11  26

2011/12  12

2012/13  25

2013/14  32

2014/15  32

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 2

I don't buy the 'bogey team' view. Partick aren't that good a side. They've had more than their fair share of luck and contentious refereeing decisions against us in recent times. Today was no different. Not saying they didn't deserve to win the game, but taking the lead against the run of play from a move where their man was about 3 yards offside, and having a perfectly good Inverness goal against them ruled out (how many times has that happened?) - we're due a bit of luck against them.

I would regard Partick as a bogey team.

If we played Barcelona 6 or 7 times and kept getting turned over, I wouldn't necessarily define them as a bogey team - they'd simply be beating us because they are a better team.

However, that isn't the case with Partick. My definition is: a team that you usually struggle against, despite being 'better' than them. By 'better', I mean, you consistently finish ahead of them in the league. It's been a long time since Partick finished ahead of Inverness in the Scottish football 'pecking order' yet they have a superior head-to-head record. That paradox is why I'd consider them a 'bogey team'.

Please calm down guys, we are still 2nd and lost 4 games all season (Celtic; Aberdeen and twice to Partick), have beaten Celtic and are still in cup.

I for one am NOT panicking and DO back team to bounce back sooner rather than later.

We have bounced back from bad results before and I'm sure players WILL want to make up for today with a performance next weekend.

As a Liverpool supporting friend always says (even if it is regarding Reds) "Keep the faith".

Remember these very wise words :ictscarf:.

Good on you Shaun for not panicking. There used to be somebody called Mahonio who would have been calling for the manager's head by now.

• Agree 2

I think bogey team sums it up nicely. Patrick seem to have worked out a pretty effective plan for dealing with our style of play and exploiting any weaknesses. It is now up to our management team to recognise this and come up with an alternative strategy that gives Partick. The first Saturday in February would be a pretty good time to have it ready.