Inverness CT -V- St Mirren

Scotty

Another dreadful performance! you would think all these guys looking for new teams would try a bit harder!

Most of them should have been up the tunnel. Only Raven had real application to the task.

Even the manager left the stage for at least 10 minutes. - Just disgraceful  who employs him ICT or Gary Teal?

Great 3 points when it looked like we could play for 2 days and not score.

What a difference in the middle when Draper came on! Also Shinnie NEEDS to go back to his preferred position and get Tremarco back on the bench/pub/changing room....  for the good of the team because Shinnie was gash today and did not look liked he enjoyed being in the middle of the park.

Nick did ok for 25 mins then was abducted by aliens for 60 mins.

However I'm being a wee bit critical, Midden came to spoil and we sent them home with their tails between their legs-again!

A generally disappointing performance but an absolutely superb goal to win the game - a superb ball from Tansey, brilliant work from Raven to cross for Billy to score with a clever finish. 

It was interesting that with Draper available, Tremarco continued at left back with Shinnie in midfield in preference to Draper.  In my view Draper is better in the defensive midfield role than Shinnie whilst Shinnie is better at left back than Tremarco.  I was wondering if this means that Shinnie's departure is imminent and the thinking here was to give Tremarco the opportunity to establish himself at LB whilst Shinnie is still here.  Whilst Shinnie didn't have a particularly poor game today, it does seem to me that in the last few games he has lacked some of the intensity of performance that we have got used to seeing.  Draper showed enough when he came on to show why he should be starting against better teams than St Mirren

Also interesting to see Nick Ross start in preference to both Vincent and Williams in Watkins' absence.  I thought he played pretty well - he had some nice touches and did little wrong but he rarely hurts defences in the way Watkins and Doran do.  Williams looked more of a threat when he came on but by then, we had scored and St Mirren were chasing the game.  I think Ross probably played well enough to start again next match if Watkins is still out.

A game that was very low on quality and when some good play broke out it led to the only goal of the game. Saints seemed content to sit quite deep and hit us on the counter. Nothing wrong with that of course but from an ICT perspective it was somewhat disappointing how difficult we found the Buddies to break down. We really struggled to get anything clicking in the final third of the pitch. Nick Ross was in for the injured Watkins and he didn't really display much today to suggest that he should be starting in this side any time soon. 

Saints had more opportunities to grab the opener with a number of long range efforts. I think it was McLean who had every single shot from distance as well :laugh: His best effort from distance beat Brill but not the crossbar and the ball bounced over. Mckay however had the best chance of the first half for both sides when he collected a short pass back and scurried towards goal. Instead of quickly dispatching a shot he dallied and Ridgers rushed out to block his tame effort.

The second half was more of the same until the only goal arrived about 10 minutes from the end. Tansey picked out Raven advancing down the right flank and floated a ball in his direction. Raven controlled the pass and moved beyond his man in one quick movement which left Tesselaar on his backside before he drilled a low ball across the box and Mckay expertly flicked the ball in with a clever back heel. After that ICT nearly added a second when Tansey rifled in a free kick which Ridgers pushed over.

I don't think I can really say it was a deserved win because I thought we were very poor. Aside from the County match we've limped through this festive programme with some unimpressive performances. Perhaps our small squad is starting to burn out a wee bit. The January transfer window will be interesting with players likely to decide their futures one way or another in the next few weeks. Shinnie may not even be here by the Killie game. We shall see.
Edited by RiG

Another dreadful performance! you would think all these guys looking for new teams would try a bit harder!

Most of them should have been up the tunnel. Only Raven had real application to the task.

Even the manager left the stage for at least 10 minutes. - Just disgraceful  who employs him ICT or Gary Teal?

I do despair at times listening to some of our fans and their 'expectations' they have of the lads. We're currently sitting fifth in the table and are within touching distance of our rivals whilst still producing some of the best football we've ever played as a team. Sure today was pretty grim viewing from an attacking sense but defensively the team looked resolute and solid throughout, with Raven producing yet another fantastic performance as you mention. However, the return of Nick Ross to the starting XI was a pleasing surprise and in my opinion he should have been awarded man of the match for his constant energy and willingness to drive forward with the ball on a day when our midfield was mostly static and devoid of an attacking threat further emphasising the importance of Marley Watkins to the side. Being in the North Stand I can't comment fully on the manager today but your comment does sound highly petty. I'd never been his biggest admirer, but he's answered his critics time and time again and won over much of the support for his clear enthusiasm and his style of play which has bare fruit countless times this season; which funnily enough is far more attractive than his predecessors 'kick and chase' tactics.

• Agree 6

No arguments with Raven as MOM and a deft touch by Billy to turn the goal in. Nick Ross had a few nice touches and runs but vanished for a while.

Tremarco was poor again and agree Shinnie needs to go back to left back.

Not pretty over all but will take the 3pts

:crazy:

It was interesting that with Draper available, Tremarco continued at left back with Shinnie in midfield in preference to Draper.  In my view Draper is better in the defensive midfield role than Shinnie whilst Shinnie is better at left back than Tremarco.  I was wondering if this means that Shinnie's departure is imminent and the thinking here was to give Tremarco the opportunity to establish himself at LB whilst Shinnie is still here. 

Whilst I don't expect to see Shinnie at ICT beyond January, though I would love to be wrong, I think the line up today is more a reflection on Hughes not wanting to change a team that's just come off a thoroughly convincing victory the week before. We've seen it before with Hughes that he won't tinker unless it is really required hence why Shinnie persevered for so long at RB last season before we started to stumble and then the set up was amended. Today was much the same.

• Agree 1

I do despair at times listening to some of our fans and their 'expectations' they have of the lads. We're currently sitting fifth in the table and are within touching distance of our rivals whilst still producing some of the best football we've ever played as a team. Sure today was pretty grim viewing from an attacking sense but defensively the team looked resolute and solid throughout, with Raven producing yet another fantastic performance as you mention. However, the return of Nick Ross to the starting XI was a pleasing surprise and in my opinion he should have been awarded man of the match for his constant energy and willingness to drive forward with the ball on a day when our midfield was mostly static and devoid of an attacking threat further emphasising the importance of Marley Watkins to the side. Being in the North Stand I can't comment fully on the manager today but your comment does sound highly petty. I'd never been his biggest admirer, but he's answered his critics time and time again and won over much of the support for his clear enthusiasm and his style of play which has bare fruit countless times this season; which funnily enough is far more attractive than his predecessors 'kick and chase' tactics.

John Hughes went to watch from the stand for a while according to the radio. I didn't notice from the north stand either tbh. TB used to do this all the time don't remember him getting any flack for it? Quite happy personally with a scrapy win. It's 3 points that counts!

Suggest you log in to ictfc official twitter seems to be a different game there compared to OAM

To be fair, maybe that's because OAM were not viewing the match through red and blue tinted glasses..

To be honest I was beginning to wonder if they were actually watching the match ! ........Incidentaly I don't think it would be fair if they were wearing red /blue tinted glasses however on this one I will bow to your superior experience of same as my glasses are clear !!

Quality goal. Great long ball from Tansey, tremendous take from Raven who then skinned the defender (see what I did there) and fizzed a low cross for Mckay to turn it in with the ball through his legs. Fabulous goal.

All been said already. Low quality game, and great three points. Nick Ross started well but disappeared for an hour then popped up again near the end. Doran did well enough and I know he does score sometimes, but he could double his tally if he connects better with the ball. He was though quite a busy player.

Raven MotM by a long way, showed tremendous skill to gather then beat the player and aware enough to play the right ball into the mix. Thought Meekings and Mckay also performed adequately.

We'll play better and lose so it's a bonus that we won without setting the heather on fire. St Mirren made it difficult, shutting us down quickly and closing down the options on the sideways passes making us rush a bit and giving possession away.

Three points though, onward and upwards.

• Agree 2

Thank You RiG.....thought I was the only one that had Raven beating Tesselaar and not Goodwin.

Pretty sure it was Tesselaar. Certainly wasn't Goodwin. He came across to block the cross from Raven.

Incidentally, gave Goodwin a bit of banter in the second half and he turned round, laughed and gave a wee thumbs up. Took it well. I almost find myself liking the guy after that :laugh:

Thank You RiG.....thought I was the only one that had Raven beating Tesselaar and not Goodwin.

Pretty sure it was Tesselaar. Certainly wasn't Goodwin. He came across to block the cross from Raven.

Incidentally, gave Goodwin a bit of banter in the second half and he turned round, laughed and gave a wee thumbs up. Took it well. I almost find myself liking the guy after that :laugh:

From the (few) times I've interacted with him, he seems like a decent enough bloke....off the park at least!

A back to back win, is a good way to start the New Year, even if it was hard work (which it sounds like it was) still the evenings are going to get lighter, my ICT calendar is up on the wall, and I'm counting the days to St Mirren away in Feb...

Main aim for ICT at the mo is to secure that top six spot and beat Thistle in the Cup

• Agree 1

some really crass stupid comments disgraceful to moan about a really honest team with a particularly honest manager - what do you really want - small crowd ,low income

for a so called supporter to give pass marks ( or not ) is grim

easy day in Dingwall on first then  tough day today but 3 points each time- seriously get off the team

OK it was hard going today but a class move got us the important goal and 3 points is 3 points.  We've played a lot better than this and lost so delighted to take the win.

Very true we played better against Aberdeen and got feck all!

As noted in a comment earlier, he left the touchline for a better (?) vantage point in the stand. Shortly thereafter he made some changes and a substitution and we then scored .... coincidence perhaps but bottom line is we got a goal after he did this and all three points.  

Nice to note that Raven wasn't backwards but NEVAR put a foot wrong . :lol:

I liked Chinos' post. I note you are supposed to "not have made any friends yet" on your profile but, with a positive post like that, it won't be long before you do! :crazy:

It's  Interesting also how people see things so differently from time to time.

• Agree 1

My mistake, with Goodwin laid flat out after the goal I thought it was him. Quite frankly skinning Tesselar just doesn't seen quite as fun.

• Agree 1

For the purposes of JH watch, he was in the stand for the full first half, then started the 2nd in the dugout before moving back up to the stand after about 60 mins.......as I was watching the game I didnt spot when he returned to the dugout area.

Hard graft yesterday, wasnt pretty but its 3 points and thats what matters. As said we have played better than that this season and lost, although its clear how important Draper is in the middle of the park.