Old sweeties

I was thinking of one Torquil Macleod!

One New Year, when we were 15, my pal and I first footed Torquil in Auldcastle Road in the hope of getting a drink. We were not disappointed because he fed us with Gin :lol:

Latterly Torquil, who was the Royal Academy's first ever guidance teacher :crazy: , hit the drink so hard that he got early retirement at the age of 48!

One of my favourite old sweeties was Puff Candy which was death on teeth - as was McCowan's Cow Toffee and Penny Dainties which in the 60s were far from dainty since you had to cram them in your mouth, they were so large. Sticks of liquorice were also popular, as were Liqourice Allsorts and Aniseed Balls while Mr Christison in the shop in Dalneigh used to do a great line in frozen Milky Ways.

As a young teacher I had an unfortunate experience with Black Jacks. Just before Christmas I decided for a laugh to give out various sweets to pupils who answered questions correctly. In the course of this, the class started rolling about laughing - because the boy to whom I had inadvertently given a Black Jack happened to be well known as 25% "ethnically different" from the Caucasian majority in the class.

Nowadays that would have caused a huge furore.

On which subject, whatever happened to Black Magic - or did these fall victim to Political Correctness as well?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

If I remember correctly, Torquil was in the Academy as a pupil (or was it a teacher, ha! ?) when I first went there at the age of 12  i.e 1950. Would that be correct Charles?

Whatever, the name is very familiar, maybe because it was mentioned as an acquaintance of my sister and her pals who also started there 3 years prior to my entry.

so to help Charles out we have: 

Caramac

caramac1.jpg

BonBons

rhubarb_and_custard_bonbons_jar.jpg

Sherbet Fountain

Barrett-sherbet-fountain-006.jpg

Walnut Whip (which has not gone away)

walnut-whip_11.png

and to add my own further contributions

Chewits

chewits-strawberry_1.jpg

Pacers !

220px-Pacers_Mints_1981_television_ad_sc

54321 !!!

17cc8b83d95c76d633811853105ef5ee.jpg

:ttiuwp: : think we have to make it a requirement of posting a picture of each entry ! fair ramps up the nostalgia factor

Well that's me out! Posting pictures is well beyond my technical competence. :lol:

posting pictures in a couple of easy steps ...... 

1. find image on google/bing and get URL for it

2. Click the picture icon on the posting toolbar and enter URL in the popup window : post-2-0-65142100-1420728098.png

Some pictures of Fry's chocholate.  The plain sandwich was a favourite of mine - spending time separating the layers made the pocket money last longer.  Tiffin was good too.  Some of these were well before my time and I can understand why the grapefruit cream has not stood the test of time although the basic Fry's Chocolate Cream is a classic which I still love today.

post-4759-0-19749700-1420728757_thumb.jp

Still way beyond me ..........................should have gone to the Kaddy after all        :blush:   On second thoughts no, glad I chose the Tech.   ( High School ) and remain in my oblivious/ ignorant state, it excuses lots of things       :smile:   and look what it did for CB, IHE and Pimple    :sarcastic: .... :whistle:

what do most of the posts in here have to do with old sweeties? unless you guys have a soft spot for Torquil ?

Obviously Torquil was before your time, young man!

Otherwise you would be well aware of the connection with "old sweeties"!!!

:lol:  :lol:

• Agree 1

:ttiuwp: : think we have to make it a requirement of posting a picture of each entry ! fair ramps up the nostalgia factor

Well that's me out! Posting pictures is well beyond my technical competence. :lol:

posting pictures in a couple of easy steps ...... 

1. find image on google/bing and get URL for it

2. Click the picture icon on the posting toolbar and enter URL in the popup window : attachicon.gif08-01-2015 9-40-17 AM.png

Thanks Scotty but unfortunately I don't know what any of the following terms mean :ohmy:

google/bing

URL

picture icon 

posting toolbar

popup window

• Agree 2

Still way beyond me ..........................should have gone to the Kaddy after all        :blush:   On second thoughts no, glad I chose the Tech.   ( High School ) and remain in my oblivious/ ignorant state, it excuses lots of things       :smile:   and look what it did for CB, IHE and Pimple    :sarcastic: .... :whistle:

With regard to all this technology stuff, it would have made no difference at all to have gone to the "Kaddy" since in IHE's and my time, far less Scarlet's, none of it existed!

post-50-0-37800700-1420749245.jpg

Texan Bars - I remember as a child being given one of these tough, chewy bars to keep me quiet on a shopping trip in the town centre. After a while I looked down and saw that during the struggle to eat it, one of my teeth had come out and was wedged in the bar.

attachicon.giftexan-bar.jpg

Texan Bars - I remember as a child being given one of these tough, chewy bars to keep me quiet on a shopping trip in the town centre. After a while I looked down and saw that during the struggle to eat it, one of my teeth had come out and was wedged in the bar.

Texan bars - tell me about them!  I once went for a drink in texas and got into a fight.  When I came to I looked up and saw that during the struggle one of my teeth had come out and was wedged in the bar.

• Agree 1