Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

The top of Lower Kessock Street with Thornbush Road beyond the railway bridge and Hugh Jamieson's lorry turning on to Grant Street. In 1968 on the right was Davidsons the Grocer which was run by a pipe smoking man called Calum, just down a bit was K Junor another Grocer and very near that was Grant's Agriculture yard. That photo will be late 50's with the Ford Popular and the Albion behind but can't make out the name on it.

A more dated a Ferry scene

There seems to be a lot less infrastructure at the Clach Park than in later years up to when the stand (AHEM :laugh: ) "spontaneously combusted". There were eventually three enclosures/ stands but I can only see one. I do recollect hearing that what Clach got from the sale of some of their great players of the late 40s helped fund the purchase of Grant St Park but this may also have helped buid some of the other structures?

Has anyone ever written a history of the Ferry, how particularly families came to be housed there, where they came from, etc?

I remember reading an old Trinity Church pamphlet that my granny had, on the history of the church, which was before the old Ferry Church I believe, anyway there was a derogatory quotation in it from some report or article in the late 19th century saying how the parishioners were a rough bunch from that part of town and many spoke only or mainly Gaelic.

Hard to believe we had a bilingual town not so long ago, and interesting to hear the "educated" types' scorn for the Gaelic-speaking masses.

What  pictures!!!!!!! Never seen the likes of them before. Most instructive. 

Maybe Jock --did you know these parts of town.?

I must have led a sheltered life since I didnae see any of them. I'm even trying to remember where Grant Street was? Och, aye? I remember now--- close to the Caley park. :lol:

The first picture, IHE,. bowled me over. Cobbled streets and carriages -- Who would have thunk it?

100 Kessock Avenue until I turned 11 !  So Yes, Scarlet, I DO remember it well !  Whatcha talking man - "close to Caley park" I'm sure you meant  CLACH park.  Although I used to walk all that way to Kingsmills !!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever written a history of the Ferry, how particularly families came to be housed there, where they came from, etc?

I remember reading an old Trinity Church pamphlet that my granny had, on the history of the church, which was before the old Ferry Church I believe, anyway there was a derogatory quotation in it from some report or article in the late 19th century saying how the parishioners were a rough bunch from that part of town and many spoke only or mainly Gaelic.

Hard to believe we had a bilingual town not so long ago, and interesting to hear the "educated" types' scorn for the Gaelic-speaking masses.

There is a document which appeared about 20 years ago on a variety of Merkinch topics. "For The Right Reasons", the Merkinch community charity, were interested in trying to publish it and gave me a copy a couple of years ago in the hope that I might be able to knock it into a format that could be published. However I'm afraid the required surgery would have been so fundamental that I felt that it wasn't practicable for me to do anything with it.

Jock, for an exile you are fairly well up to date on your Inverness church names since Trinity is a relative newcomer as a title! I seem to recollect that the church by the riverside, opposite the old baths, was called the Merkinch Church (and had the 6th BBs) but there was also Merkinch St Marks (with the quite short lived 11th BBs) down in Thornbush Road. Now I BELIEVE that the Queen St Church (7th BBs which effectively became the 10th) formed the third part of the "Trinity" when it and Merkinch St Marks closed, possibly late 60s/ early 70s.

Always thought it had to do with the Holy Trinity, being a church and all! Though I think I recall their BBs were called the 6th/7th.

So, how come all (or a lot of) the rough families and undesirables ended up down the Ferry, and how has it changed over the years? 

Yes there's a strong link with the Holy Trinity, but also with the fact that historically there were three congregations.

http://trinityinverness.org.uk/about/

In terms of BBs, the 11th was quite a short lived company from the "Mission" down in Thornbush Road and I think it had effectively been absorbed by the 6th before that then merged with the 7th to form the 6th/7th which hence catered for the BB interests of all three original congragations.

However the real driving force behind the 7th, Jackie Sutherland, moved on to the 10th company which in effect became the "new" 7th in that this was now the company which attracted all the promising young footballers in particular.

Whatever happened to the eighth  company that of the now demolished West Church?

As it happens I sort of came from a BB family since my dad was captain of the 1st Company. I had somewhat mixed feelings about the organisation because while I did get a great deal out of it, I was deeply sceptical, even in the 60s, about performing - and getting exams on for the Queens Badge -  19th century army drill exercises whilst dressed in 19th century army uniform.

On the other hand I was pretty involved in the BB in the late 60s/early 70s and still hear bits and pieces about what has been an organisation in decline for some time now.

I do know that in Inverness, at least the 1st St Columba, 7th Queen Street, 8th West and 11th Merkinch Companies have not existed for several years and none of these churches exists as such any more. The former West Church has not been demolished by the way - it has been converted into flats.

The other companies in Inverness were the 2nd Ness Bank, 3rd Crown, 4th Old High, 5th East Church, 6th as already discussed, 9th Hilton, 10th Methodist and 12th Dalneigh. I think there may also still be be a 1st Culloden company attached to the Barn Church. I believe that most, if not all of these still exist. Certainly that BB legend Peter Home has been captain of the 4th since way back in 1968. Former Caley legend, the late Rodwill Clyne was captain of the 9th for a time as well while John Beaton started as a boy (sorry... Boy - they used to be quite fussy about the capital letter!) in the 12th before joining Jackie Sutherland in the 7th, then the 10th.

It's strange that in Scotland BB companies, which have to be associated with a church, tend to be attached to Churches of Scotland. The only exception in Inverness was the 10th. In contrast the Cathedral used to have a Boy Scout troop.

I used to reckon that one of the problems with the BB was that they used to think they were still guarding the Empire.... while the Scouts used to think they were still ruling it! :lol:

I always thought that "Rodwill Clyne" spelt his first name RODWELL (he worked in the Milk Marketing Board with my mother, Violet Watt) !

As for good old Peter Home - he was just starting in the Famous Fourth when I was marker in the drill team that won that comp easily (and also in the same year won the PT comp in the old Empire Theatre and the First Aid one) !!!  Being in that drill squad made it very easy for me when I did my National Service - especially when compared with other fellows out of the slums of Glasgow, Birmingham, London and elswhere !!!!!!!!!!

The 4th also had a wonderful "club house" in Falcon Square behind the Railway with never ending games of Monopoly, table tennis and snooker, and a pot-bellied stove.  All organised by Captain Willie MacLeod.

I always thought that "Rodwill Clyne" spelt his first name RODWELL (he worked in the Milk Marketing Board with my mother, Violet Watt) !

As for good old Peter Home - he was just starting in the Famous Fourth when I was marker in the drill team that won that comp easily (and also in the same year won the PT comp in the old Empire Theatre and the First Aid one) !!!  Being in that drill squad made it very easy for me when I did my National Service - especially when compared with other fellows out of the slums of Glasgow, Birmingham, London and elswhere !!!!!!!!!!

The 4th also had a wonderful "club house" in Falcon Square behind the Railway with never ending games of Monopoly, table tennis and snooker, and a pot-bellied stove.  All organised by Captain Willie MacLeod.

Jock - as it happens a couple of months ago Peter gave me one of the volumes of "The Famous Fourth", his history of the company and a fair bit of what you are saying there is referred to.

It may indeed be RodwEll. I stnad to be corrected on that one.

I was in the 8th West church bb company with two former Caley stalwarts Norman Miller and Gordie Bus Munro

I didn't know Norman was an 8th BB boy. Gordie was 8th company through and through and went on from being an NCO to become a young officer. On the way to camp at Carrbridge there would frequently be outbursts of chanting in his honour - "Gordy Bus cha-cha, Gordy Bus cha-cha....."

Neither of them with us any more and both sorely missed from the Caley Club among other places.

• Agree 1

Well, frankly speaking Charles, I/m happy that I was not aware of all the red tape and shenanigans going on when I was in the Ist Company  about mid fifties. Behind the scenes up from the playhouse (Hamilton Street was it?).

Not sure at all whether at that time the Ist was associated with a specific church either. I just went for the fun and for something to do and keep active. 

Well, frankly speaking Charles, I/m happy that I was not aware of all the red tape and shenanigans going on when I was in the Ist Company  about mid fifties. Behind the scenes up from the playhouse (Hamilton Street was it?).

Not sure at all whether at that time the Ist was associated with a specific church either. I just went for the fun and for something to do and keep active. 

Yes, the 1st Company was always associated with the St Columba High church, or its predecessor establishments and the Boys' Brigade company met in the Dr Black Hall just along Bank St from the church. The premises you are thinking about on Hamilton St appear to be Washington Court which was the HQ of the Inverness Battalion and it was from its upstairs hall that church parades etc got under way.

I don't know if anyone remembers the late Lamont Graham who was known as "Scoobies" for reasons too complicated to relate and was also Billy Urquhart's father in law? Scoobies was captain of the 5th Company (of which Billy was also a member) as well as Battalion adjutant. As such it was his job to get everyone into line in Washington Court for a church parade. If there was undue unrest in the ranks, Scoobies would quell it with a wonderful turn of phrase - "Stop gu'ureen" (Which, for the benefit of those not familiar with the Invernessian glottal stop, translates as "guttering")

Whatever happened to the eighth  company that of the now demolished West Church?

As it happens I sort of came from a BB family since my dad was captain of the 1st Company. I had somewhat mixed feelings about the organisation because while I did get a great deal out of it, I was deeply sceptical, even in the 60s, about performing - and getting exams on for the Queens Badge -  19th century army drill exercises whilst dressed in 19th century army uniform.

On the other hand I was pretty involved in the BB in the late 60s/early 70s and still hear bits and pieces about what has been an organisation in decline for some time now.

I do know that in Inverness, at least the 1st St Columba, 7th Queen Street, 8th West and 11th Merkinch Companies have not existed for several years and none of these churches exists as such any more. The former West Church has not been demolished by the way - it has been converted into flats.

The other companies in Inverness were the 2nd Ness Bank, 3rd Crown, 4th Old High, 5th East Church, 6th as already discussed, 9th Hilton, 10th Methodist and 12th Dalneigh. I think there may also still be be a 1st Culloden company attached to the Barn Church. I believe that most, if not all of these still exist. Certainly that BB legend Peter Home has been captain of the 4th since way back in 1968. Former Caley legend, the late Rodwill Clyne was captain of the 9th for a time as well while John Beaton started as a boy (sorry... Boy - they used to be quite fussy about the capital letter!) in the 12th before joining Jackie Sutherland in the 7th, then the 10th.

It's strange that in Scotland BB companies, which have to be associated with a church, tend to be attached to Churches of Scotland. The only exception in Inverness was the 10th. In contrast the Cathedral used to have a Boy Scout troop.

I used to reckon that one of the problems with the BB was that they used to think they were still guarding the Empire.... while the Scouts used to think they were still ruling it! :lol:

CB you got that last sentence all wrong, the BB was about health, fitness, discipline and living and an honest and fair life.

I too came through the ranks and being in your era Jock, I remember the drill hall marching competitions and the PE competitions. and yes there was one year you pipped us in both of these but we held our own with the best. I also coached a PE team to win a competition, strangely I got a bigger thrill bein g in a winning team than coaching one. I think it was the 7th Coy that were our main rivals in my days. 

Bill and Herb MacDonald were the two stalwart officers of the time and I remember the fun we had sitting in the back of one of Bill's lorries on our journeys to Carrbridge to camp and the runs up to Loch Morlich for our treks in the Cairngorms.

CB you got that last sentence all wrong, the BB was about health, fitness, discipline and living and an honest and fair life.

I too came through the ranks and being in your era Jock, I remember the drill hall marching competitions and the PE competitions. and yes there was one year you pipped us in both of these but we held our own with the best. I also coached a PE team to win a competition, strangely I got a bigger thrill bein g in a winning team than coaching one. I think it was the 7th Coy that were our main rivals in my days. 

Bill and Herb MacDonald were the two stalwart officers of the time and I remember the fun we had sitting in the back of one of Bill's lorries on our journeys to Carrbridge to camp and the runs up to Loch Morlich for our treks in the Cairngorms.

"The advancement of Christ's Kingdom among boys and the promotion of habits of obedience, reverence, discipline and self respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness."

Honest... I didn't have to google that BB motto because it was drummed into us verbatim year after year!

Yes indeed BM, I do agree with what you said on what the BB was about, but there was also this possibly rather unfortunate militaristic aspect to it - well back in the 60s and I suspect before that there was. Part of it was probably the institutionalised drill and the military system of ranks added to the fact that up until that time and a little later many of the officers would have played their part in the downfalls of Kaiser Bill and Adolf Hitler. I used to get pretty pissed off with the bullshit of having to polish my belt, Brasso the buckle and whiten the two bits of braid round my pillbox.

On the other hand the Scouts used to have all these District Commissioners and Area Commissioners supervising camps in remote places and all of that was rather reminiscent of ruling the Raj and the Empire. I think it would also be fair to suggest that the Scouts were rather more middle class than the BB.

In replying to an earlier post about the 8th Company, I forgot to mention Bill MacDonald who was an absolute stalwart there. Bill was a great bloke who, quite late in life, married a lady who was happy to accept that the third party in that relationship was the BB! I do believe that Herb MacDonald was Captain of the 7th Company before Jackie Sutherland took it over?

Part of it was probably the institutionalised drill and the military system of ranks added to the fact that up until that time and a little later many of the officers would have played their part in the downfalls of Kaiser Bill and Adolf Hitler. I used to get pretty pissed off with the bullshit of having to polish my belt, Brasso the buckle and whiten the two bits of braid round my pillbox.

Just an afterthought... but if someone told me that IHE WASN'T in the Boys' Brigade, I would tend to believe them!!

Part of it was probably the institutionalised drill and the military system of ranks added to the fact that up until that time and a little later many of the officers would have played their part in the downfalls of Kaiser Bill and Adolf Hitler. I used to get pretty pissed off with the bullshit of having to polish my belt, Brasso the buckle and whiten the two bits of braid round my pillbox.

Just an afterthought... but if someone told me that IHE WASN'T in the Boys' Brigade, I would tend to believe them!!

What you probably mean is that you don't like self discipline, and you don't like physical work !!.................shame really....... :wink:

edited for the smiley !!

Edited by bughtmaster