Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

definitely not any captain of the 5th ,Lamont Graham was succeeded by Ian "Flash" Reid and then in turn by Bill Moncur and none of these were ever involved in any criminal activity of the type suggested.

I just can't imagine two more upstanding gentlemen than "Scoobies" and "Flash", both of whom I knew fairly well and I'm sure Mr Moncur, whom I remember vaguely, fell into the same category.

Charles--you do have a great memory.

I NOW remember that I was in the Life Boys upstairs in Washington Court and also the man in charge of the team whom I can't remember, George somebody ??? Fantastic, very dedicated gentleman and he never had a problem with he young gentlemen in my troop.

We then moved onward to the 1st Boys Brigade  but can't remember the hall,. you say on Bank Street   and maybe that was correct

Many years later when I was in Inverness on holiday I spotted George. who had come off the Greig Street Bridge and was heading for town just past that church on the corner close to the bridge.I was coming down the slope from town and  as he passed I stopped him and said " Mr ..... , you may not remember me but I was in  your troop years ago and I remember you well, I have always had the greatest respect for you and the greatest affection and I want to thank you for all your hard work and efforts at that early time in my life"

George's  companion  spoke and said "There you are George that's something for you and I think it's made your day "...or words to that effect..." His chest came up and out and a broad smile wreathed his face  and I felt so good  and it was clear that he didn't know quite how to answer. Gobsmacked might be a good way to describe it. :laugh:

It felt so good  as I walked away because I knew that was probably the best reward he ever needed, this selfless, kind and dedicated man who certainly made a big impression on me.

I NOW remember that I was in the Life Boys upstairs in Washington Court and also the man in charge of the team whom I can't remember, George somebody ??? Fantastic, very dedicated gentleman and he never had a problem with he young gentlemen in my troop.

George MacKintosh. He lived in Leys Drive and apart from having been my Lifeboy leader in the 1st Company he was also a good family friend. Long gone now I'm afraid.

(By the way I think the collective noun for Lifeboys is "team" while "troop" refers to the Scouts.)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Strangely enough I just can't make out any of the boys in that photo even though I was in the BB (1st Coy) at that time myself. Among the officers I can see Herb MacDonald on the left, towards the font, Jackie Sutherland second left three rows behind him and I think that may be Alfie MacKintosh with the beard, second right, half way up.

Charles,old school friend of yours there,Brian MacGregor. He's about 7 rows back

Got you - I think! Several officers round and about him. I think he became a Professor of something or other. There were two Bryan MacGregors and this is the older one who was in my year. The other one - also known as Corky - was about 3 years younger.

Now that I've got that far reading the Courier's "Inverness Remembered X" I have realised that this is where IHE got that photo.

Once again there's a lot of good old Inverness photos in the book although there is the drawback that every blooming year the thing moans away on every other page about the architectural shortcomings of the Bridge St area.... which we know is cr@p anyway.

If there's a place for opinion in a publication like that then say it and leave it. But several times in every volume just about does your head in!

Strangely enough I just can't make out any of the boys in that photo even though I was in the BB (1st Coy) at that time myself. Among the officers I can see Herb MacDonald on the left, towards the font, Jackie Sutherland second left three rows behind him and I think that may be Alfie MacKintosh with the beard, second right, half way up.

Not Herb Charles, he was in the 8th. Recognise big Sammy Black, two in front of Jackie Sutherland, (Tichy Black's brother) who played centre half for Jags. Danny Craig, ex fire service, officer in middle far right. Gordy Leddingham, two in from the right, two or three from the top.

Edited by caleyboy

Not Herb Charles, he was in the 8th. Recognise big Sammy Black, two in front of Jackie Sutherland, (Tichy Black's brother) who played centre half for Jags. Danny Craig, ex fire service, officer in middle far right. Gordy Leddingham, two in from the right, two or three from the top.

I knew that Bill MacDonald was the 8th Coy but didn't realise Herb MacDonald was as well. I still have a feeling that the older man in that photo may have been Herb somebody, if not MacDonald. Can anyone remind me?

That is the Kiosk at Kilmuir on the Black Isle, BT removed the payphone a couple of years ago but the locals would not let them take the kiosk away, it was bought by the community for £1 and they have to upkeep it.