Disgrace that is the Ferry of today

I wonder what happened to all the Herring ?

Over fishing no quotas in them days and a lot of hungry folk!  Did you ever eat herring and oatmeal?  When I stayed in Fort Augustus my father came home from Mallaig with a box of herring that fell off the back of a lorry :wink: and with no fridge then we had it for days :ohmy: I have not enjoyed it since!

Kessock herring fried in oatmeal.....delicious eaten with boiled tatties and an egg.

Think they were world renowned at one time, certainly they were talked about down in Englandshire when I first lived down there.Strange how they had a flavour and texture all of their own....just a pity about all the bones!!!!!!

I'm sure some of my age group will have sampled them and have have happy eating memories ???? doing so.

Salmon netting on Friars Shot, don't know what the old building is in front of the Power Station is, looks like an old warehouse. 

I believe it was Pickfords and before that Lord Roberts' Workshop for ex-soldiers - a sort of predecessor of the Haig Fund establishments. Like Haig, Roberts was Army CinC - in this case at the turn of the 20th century.

That's my old school the Merkinch :ohmy: and without the flats in Dunabin Road you can see the Trinity Church.  What is now the playing fields was obviously a mine store during WW1.

Last time I was in there it was for fish and chips

Its now closed the nearest chippy is now Aviemore!  There was a bar very near in the late 70's with the front of an old fishing boat as part of the bar.