Anyone Recognise ?

The only curling rink I remember was just to the left of the 11th hole (I think) of Culcabock golf course, just after you crossed the road from the clubhouse side to the other, very close to the old water mill.

I don't know where the 11th hole (or any other apart from the 19th) is at Culcabock, but that outdoor curling rink is indeed right beside the golf course. As you come up Diriebught Road towards Kingsmills it's right at the end on the left, just before where Diriebught Road is now blocked off. The entrance may well be at the end of Culcabock Rd.

Yes CB, that is the only one I remember.  I think its entrance would have been on Diriebught Rd, right at the end, just before where it is blocked off. Incidentally, I remember when it wasn't blocked off!  You certainly couldn't access the curling rink  from the golf course, nor, I think, from Culcabock Road.

Skinners was something of a Royal Academy institution and for decades was very popular for its bakeries, pies etc. At one time I think kids were allowed to sprint down Stephen's Brae to get a mid morning snack at interval. The photo looks as if it might be 1920s and I wonder if the Stephen's Brae sign is the same, now rather battered one that sits above what is now Girvans?

The Skinner family, who also had a baker's in Kenneth St (I think?) were big players in the 5th BBs. Of my generation, but a little older were Mike Skinner and Ian Skinner who I think must have become a geography teacher because I remember him as a student teacher at the Academy in about 1966.

Another Gem IHE the same year I was born but a lot further from............Eastgate looking east from the top of Ingles St.  The Leyland tanker (a big one for that time) appears to be waiting at the traffic lights with the ERF behind and the old Austin further along the street.  Note the registrations on the Bedford Dormobile and the Ford Popular are both JST and no yellow lines means you can park your Austin A35 while you go to the shops!..............I will leave it to the older generations to identify the shops Fraser & McColl is the only one I know.

- taken just after I was born on Stephens Brae -

I take it there is no cause and effect relationship there? :smile: And yes, Scotty, I also noted with interest that IHE was born there!

I was a mere four years old at the time but it doesn't look very different from when I can remember it from a few years later. As IBM says, Fraser and McColl is there on the right. You can also see the chipper next door and I always forget which of the Italians had the gift shop on the left? Was it one of the Bernardis? IBM's indication that the parked car is an A35 explains why I was debating with myself as to whether it was an A30 (which was actually tiny) or an A40. I think there were one or two shops on Eastage, mainl;y selling "eats" of some kind, run by the Italian community.

I think we can just see the extreme edge of the Washington Soda Fountain on the far right. Just out of shot beyond it would have been Melville's Globe shoe shop which is now the Bank of Scotland. Do I have a recollection that I got my feet X-rayed in there to check if my proposed pair of shoes fitted? That would certainly be a no-no these days.

Between 1965 and 1971 I reckon I must have traversed Eastgate approaching 2000 times going to and from the Royal Academy from Dalneigh if you add in the majority of the days when I went home for lunch.

Charles, the car could be an A30 or A35 with the A35 being introduced in 1956 an updated version. The A40 was the Farina had a more square body and was introduced in 1958. I do remember the chipper getting chips on the way home to the Merkinch from the Army Cadets at Cameron Barracks.

Charles, the car could be an A30 or A35 with the A35 being introduced in 1956 an updated version. The A40 was the Farina had a more square body and was introduced in 1958. I do remember the chipper getting chips on the way home to the Merkinch from the Army Cadets at Cameron Barracks.

IBM, you are clearly very well versed in classic autos! I do remember the A30 because in 1956/57 my uncle acquired one and was able to learn to drive without anyone in the passenger's seat because there was a delay in getting driving tests as a result of the testers administering fuel rationing after the Suez crisis of late 1956.

Learn to drive without anyone in the passenger seat :ohmy: I had never heard of that before, I notice the one in the picture had an L plate on the rear bumper but I think that would have been before your time driving.  What a change to the machine you drive now :smile: mind you the A30 would be better in the snow than most of the modern cars we have now!

I think that would have been before your time driving. 

You THINK....? Jeezismun! Ah wuz 4 :lol:  It was a necessity of the Suez crisis and of course the roads were infinitely quieter than they are now. The Eastgate photo was taken ten months after Suez so I don't know if the A35 driver would still have been unaccompanied? This link suggests that the dispensation lasted for about six months.

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3183&sid=1ecd87cc5b79ddb8e55063fbd5fa71db

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Ah well who went shopping here ?

I suspect that the answer to that is - farmers. It would appear to be Hamilton's Mart before it became the Eastgate Centre in about 1982/3 with Safeways (now Morrisons) opening further out Eastgate in 1999. Towards the top of the photo you can see the Hayloft etc and the houses up on Auldcastle Road.