Anyone Recognise ?

Who could forget that milk machine? 

Corner of Hamilton Street and Eastgate - I guess that's just about where Marks & Sparks has its doors now. Can't remember if that shop on the corner sold other things, but it always used to have some very desirable toys, such as Corgi cars, in the window.  Possibly a newsagents too, which would explain the Evening Express van parked outside.

And would that be Mario's awning further down Eastgate?

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
removal of incorrect apostrophe!

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Corner of Hamilton Street and Eastgate - I guess that's just about where Marks & Sparks has its doors now.

I reckon that's just about spot on Snorbens. As an ex-BB boy (or should I say "Boy" - they always seemed to use a capital) you will also remember that Washington Court was just out of the photo to the left. Memories of Scoobies as Battalion Adjutant shouting at us to "stop gu'ereen" before we went on our way to a church parade.

17 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Football Times ?

Are you serious?   You're the same age as me, so you should remember it.

Used to be in the shops by about 5.30 - certainly before 6pm - on a Saturday, with reports on all Highland League games. This was how you found out all the other scores.  One of my small treats used to be accompanying my father down to Barney's on a Saturday evening, for him to pick up the FT, and for me to get a bag of warm roasted peanuts (not expensive cashew nuts), with the oil from the nuts turning the paper bag transparent.

The FT also used to carry the schools' football results, causing more than one non-local to express surprise that the IRA appeared to have a thriving youth team set-up in the Highlands.

Can't remember if the FT carried the scores from the Scottish and English League - the Evening Express Green Final did, although its reports covered only first half of Scottish League matches.

The FT also used to carry other sporting news, some of it shared with the Highland News.  The FT editor in the early 70s was Frank Phillips, and as member of Inverness Golf Club, he used to write up the club competitions. He once had the scoop of playing alongside me when I won one. Frank was also a Highland League referee - not a very good one, IIRC.

The FT also used to have an excellent column written by someone associated with Brora Rangers, called "Over The Struie".  It was always a joy to read.

25 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Are you serious?   You're the same age as me, so you should remember it.

The FT also used to carry the schools' football results, causing more than one non-local to express surprise that the IRA appeared to have a thriving youth team set-up in the Highlands.

The FT also used to carry other sporting news, some of it shared with the Highland News.  The FT editor in the early 70s was Frank Phillips, and as member of Inverness Golf Club, he used to write up the club competitions. He once had the scoop of playing alongside me when I won one. Frank was also a Highland League referee - not a very good one, IIRC.

The FT also used to have an excellent column written by someone associated with Brora Rangers, called "Over The Struie".  It was always a joy to read.

Snorbens... I suspect that IHE, as tends occasionally to be his wont, is NOT being serious!

I think at that time (60s and also into the 70s), the Royal Academy tended to have the image of being a rugby school rather than a football one, and this was certainly not discouraged by some of the more snobbish members of staff. However the reality was that the school produced quite a few very decent fooballers such as Milroy, Urquhart, Stapleton and Baxter (Tommy - not Jim!) whereas, for instance, to my recollection, there wasn't a single Royal Academy FP in the great Highland side which went all the way up the National Leagues in the mid 70s. My goodness! Even these rough boys from the High School had the late Alan Rose as a HRFC legend!

I remember when an approximate contemporary of ours, Alan Watt, was applying for an after school job and was asked to provide two referees, he claimed he put down the names of Frank Phillips and fellow whistler Jackie Spiers!!

I also remember the Brora Rangers "Over The Struie" column. If it still survived, it would presumably be surrounded by adverts for £40 grand a year fork lift truck drivers and £50 an hour apprentice welders:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 8:43 PM, IBM said:

Macleod's Caravans Clachnaharry about late 50's and before the inn was there as it is now!

One for you Charles when did it change from Greigs to Macleods and was that the same Greigs that had the coaches?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One or two faces are familiar but the names escape me, Could  have been the Morton Qualifying cup game which ended in a draw. 1 - 1 I think, Morton missing a penalty near the end which got the biggest cheer of the day. Early 1950's I would be sitting on the grass beside the goals, changing ends at half time.

Edited by bughtmaster
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was the exact spot where I used to stand, IHE,  when I  went to see the Caley team at Telford street in the "fifties" .

Unfortunately I'm unable to identify anyone I knew then.Pity.  But it sure takes me back in time!

I was only 14 in 1952 so to be quite honest I didn't attend matches very regularly.

• Agree 1