Anyone Recognise ?

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

It opened in 1958, if that helps.

Interesting article by Bill McAllister here

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Opinion/Bill-McAllister/The-burning-issue-remains-23092011.htm

Interesting article but I would dispute the suggestion that Inverness was spared bombing during WW2 because it was "so far North". Inverness would have been reachable from German bases in Norway but the Luftwaffe didn't visit simply because it didn't house anything of sufficient industrial or strategic significance.

Further North than Inverness, Invergordon was attacked because it was a naval base. They tried to get the naval fuel tanks beside where Invergordon Academy now is and hit one... number 13! Scapa Flow in Orkney was an even more important naval  base and it was attacked quite often, although never very successfully by air. Fighter cover for Scapa was based at Wick aerodrome so Wick was also attacked. They had difficulty finding the aerodrome but on a couple of occasions in 1940 the town itself was bombed and there were several fatal casualties, including children.

• Agree 1

I knew Johhny Nairne (back row, 3rd from left) quite well after I moved to Hilton in the early 50s.  He and his brother, Charlie, were both good footballers.  Charlie played for Nairn County for a couple of years.  I can't remember whether Johnny played Highland League football.  I know he progressed quite well in the Fire Service, attaining quite a senior rank.

From the front row of the photo I also recognise Victor Fridge (from my Academy days).  Donnie Grant too looks familiar, but I can't remember from where.

6 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I knew Johhny Nairne (back row, 3rd from left) quite well after I moved to Hilton in the early 50s.  He and his brother, Charlie, were both good footballers.  Charlie played for Nairn County for a couple of years.  I can't remember whether Johnny played Highland League football.  I know he progressed quite well in the Fire Service, attaining quite a senior rank.

From the front row of the photo I also recognise Victor Fridge (from my Academy days).  Donnie Grant too looks familiar, but I can't remember from where.

Ray MacLennan used to play on the wing for Caley and was also a very useful runner after he retired from football. He is Colin Baillie's brother in law. I think this will be the same Donnie Grant as went on to be Firemaster and he was also a Highland League player. Brian MacKintosh is now an esteemed barman in the ICT Social Club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, IBM said:

The Bishop's Palace behind the County Buildings phase 2, is that a long jump pit in the corner of the Northern Meeting Park?

It does rather look like one. The most likely explanation is probably that it was dug for Primary Schools (Central and some others I believe) who used the park as a playing field.

That's the Donald and S.P  approaching Tulloch Caledonian stadium to drop a bag of gold on the pitch. Hope a game isn't in  progress  at that time because , with his busy schedule and on his way to Aberdeen for  a golf game, he insists that he can't stop enroute to check.:lol: