Older version of Dry January

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:25 AM, Charles Bannerman said:

I've got it now. Passed it many times but on that side of the street and never looked up so didn't realise the name had changed. It's probably one of the plusher premises on Baron Taylor's Street.

From the 1881 Census:

Dwelling: Baron Taylors Lane, Eagle Hotel

Census Place: Inverness, Inverness, Scotland

Source: FHL Film 0203421 GRO Ref Volume 098 EnumDist 8 Page 7

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

James WATT M 41 M Cairnie, Aberdeen, Scotland

Rel: Head

Occ: Hotel Keeper

eagle.jpg

On 11/20/2016 at 7:02 AM, JockWatt said:

From the 1881 Census:

Dwelling: Baron Taylors Lane, Eagle Hotel

Census Place: Inverness, Inverness, Scotland

Source: FHL Film 0203421 GRO Ref Volume 098 EnumDist 8 Page 7

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

James WATT M 41 M Cairnie, Aberdeen, Scotland

Rel: Head

Occ: Hotel Keeper

eagle.jpg

The upstairs bar was a good place for live music about 40 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haugh Road runs from the Ness Bank Church out towards Bellfield Park.  NOT the riverside road - that's Ness Bank - but the main, two-way road on the other side of the church. I always thought of "the Haugh" as being the area on the left if you are going out of town. 

I don't think I was ever in the Haugh Bar, though I do remember an off-licence somewhere along Haugh Road!

My parents used to be members of Clachnacuddin Small Bore Rifle Club. Back in the 60s or early 70s - before the Club moved to its current range at Kinmylies - they used to shoot in an attic somewhere down the Haugh. I'm not sure exactly where - I'd have to wander round and see if any memories came back. The club's website says "apparently shooting in an attic above a pub", but I'm not sure about that.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
correcting spelling

55 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

It became infamous fer actually barring English tourists.

Which was the one where the landlord was refusing to serve Campbells*?  Was that the Haugh as well, or somewhere else?

* ie refusing to serve drink to people called Campbell.  Nothing to do with tins of condensed soup...

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Haugh Road runs from the Ness Bank Church out towards Bellfield Park.  NOT the riverside road - that's Ness Bank - but the main, two-way road on the other side of the church. I always thought of "the Haugh" as being the area on the left if you are going out of town. 

I don't think I was ever in the Haugh Bar, though I do remember an off-licence somewhere along Haugh Road!

My parents used to be members of Clachnacuddin Small Bore Rifle Club. Back in the 60s or early 70s - before the Club moved to its current range at Kinmylies - they used to shoot in an attic somewhere down the Haugh. I'm not sure exactly where - I'd have to wander round and see if any memories came back. The club's website says "apparently shooting in an attic above a pub", but I'm not sure about that.

The off-licence is Chalkys and it is still there.  The 25m range was part of the same building upstairs right behind the Haugh Bar where I fired my first real bullets .22, it was freezing cold and poor lights but it was a great introduction to shooting.

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Which was the one where the landlord was refusing to serve Campbells*?  Was that the Haugh as well, or somewhere else?

* ie refusing to serve drink to people called Campbell.  Nothing to do with tins of condensed soup...

That might have been grumpy Bob!

• 7 months later...
On 24/02/2017 at 7:26 PM, snorbens_caleyman said:

Are you not thinking of the Clahaig Inn at glencoe for obvious reasons. The sign on the door said no hawkers dogs or Campbell but eventually dogs were allowed in. Pretty harsh on the Campbells in my opinion couldn’t wish for nicer people :wink:

• Funny 1