IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Let's go out of Sneck

Recommended Posts

Its Scrabster harbour but this is the one before the Hamnavoe

 

File0551.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2017 at 8:21 PM, IBM said:

Its Scrabster harbour but this is the one before the Hamnavoe

 

File0551.jpg

This is the St Ola leaving Stromness which came into service in 1971 the first roll on-roll off ferry on the Scrabster route.  The old one in the black & white photo entering Scrabster harbour was also St Ola and entered service in 1951 with the vehicles being loaded with the (derek) crane onboard was renamed St Ola 11 in 1971.

Second Row did confuse me with the jam and bread :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to spend most summers up in Orkney with granny’s aunts and uncles etc till the mid 70s I barfed up a few times on the old Ola but the worst of the lot was on the St Clair when the Ola was out of action. We arrived in Scrabster and the whole front of the bridge had been smashed in with the wind and waves. Thought I was meeting my maker that time. The RORO was just such a pleasure the first time I ever went on that   Haven’t been up for a few years now. Tends to be funerals more than anything. Guess that’s a sign of ageing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a footnote to that one of my relations used to have one of the old 3 wheel disabled cars. The blue ones that used to have a kind of half motorbike handle inside to steer etc. When he went on the Ola they used to crane him on and off still in the car and he would stay in the car entire journey. Not much health and safety back then :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in Orkney for a few days in the summer. Ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope - lovely day on the way up, but wet and blustery coming back.

They really should tell people to leave the cars unlocked. You're not allowed near them during the voyage, but as soon as the ship clears the harbour and starts pitching and rolling, all the car alarms go off. And they keep sounding until you reach the other end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I traveled from Scrabster to Stromness on the St Clair once when the St Ola was away for annual refit, although a bit rough the crossing only took 1 hour 30 minutes :ohmy: as I was coming off the ship I said to one of the crew it was the quickest I had done the crossing and he said the captain was F*****g mad and trying for a record on the crossing!

My later crossings for work were on Pentland Ferries who were less than half the price of Northlink for my works van and they were providing a service with no subsidy like Northlink!  An interesting book to read is Pentland Hero which is about Pentland Ferries.

snorbens when I used the ferries with my car I disabled the alarm which was the best thing to do and you could still lock it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad won the Orkney Ba one year can’t remember if it was the Christmas Day or New Year’s Day one I must ask him again. He was an uppie not a doonie as my Gran lived in George Street in front of the bignold park  Yes IBM same name too I used to always get called young Les as an apprentice and he was guess what OLD LES :laugh:

7123FFA1-D5C8-4B53-9887-0A634B0367EC.jpeg

Edited by jagster
Extra text and spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops and meant to say the D Campbell was my uncle David not sure why he was a Doonie though he was a good bit older than my dad. Maybe he’d already left home and stayed on the other side by then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jagster said:

My dad won the Orkney Ba one year can’t remember if it was the Christmas Day or New Year’s Day one I must ask him again. He was an uppie not a doonie as my Gran lived in George Street in front of the bignold park  Yes IBM same name too I used to always get called young Les as an apprentice and he was guess what OLD LES :laugh:

7123FFA1-D5C8-4B53-9887-0A634B0367EC.jpeg

It's both :ohmy: and they are mad b*****s :lol: I am glad not to have stayed there and had to do that although the party after would be good.

http://www.orkney.com/about/history/the-ba

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Wot's this? The Broons' But An' Ben?

It's a youth hostel. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2017 at 9:39 PM, IBM said:

The old one in the black & white photo entering Scrabster harbour was also St Ola and entered service in 1951 with the vehicles being loaded with the (derek) crane onboard

In 1954 or 55 - before I was around - my parents had a motorbike/camping holiday in Orkney. The photos below show their bike being unloaded at Stromness, and the winchman.  There is also a postcard with that b/w pic of the St Ola.

        5a05d82b85a08_stola01sml.jpg.03be7797b1812e8cdf5275e462d65cde.jpg        5a05d83024c48_stola02sml.jpg.715e5e03fce4dc8dc64babcb8c860905.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

In 1954 or 55 - before I was around - my parents had a motorbike/camping holiday in Orkney. The photos below show their bike being unloaded at Stromness, and the winchman.  There is also a postcard with that b/w pic of the St Ola.

        5a05d82b85a08_stola01sml.jpg.03be7797b1812e8cdf5275e462d65cde.jpg        5a05d83024c48_stola02sml.jpg.715e5e03fce4dc8dc64babcb8c860905.jpg

Good photos, that's a BSA Bantam which would have been popular then.  I am sure that would have been an adventure holiday :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IBM said:

Good photos, that's a BSA Bantam which would have been popular then.  I am sure that would have been an adventure holiday :smile:

Thanks, IBM.  I had been thinking of posting a couple of photos of the bike on the IBM Transport thread, as a bit of a joke.  Now I see that the joke would have been on me!

My Dad was very patriotic, and bought British whenever he could. All our cars were British-made - mostly Vauxhalls, and also a Hillman Minx and, unfortunately, a Morris Marina.

When they were in the Rifle Club in Inverness, Dad's gun HAD to be a BSA, whereas my Mum was more than happy with her Anschutz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2017 at 10:44 PM, IBM said:

Have you ever stayed here?

 

images (1).jpg

It's the Youth Hostel between Gairloch and North Erradale as seen from the North (ish) side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

Thanks, IBM.  I had been thinking of posting a couple of photos of the bike on the IBM Transport thread, as a bit of a joke.  Now I see that the joke would have been on me!

My Dad was very patriotic, and bought British whenever he could. All our cars were British-made - mostly Vauxhalls, and also a Hillman Minx and, unfortunately, a Morris Marina.

When they were in the Rifle Club in Inverness, Dad's gun HAD to be a BSA, whereas my Mum was more than happy with her Anschutz.

I am not so good at motor bikes although I know some of the old ones.  I think 'jagster' might be more of an expert, in fact he is likely to have started with a BSA Bantam :wink:

When I had a .22 rifle it was a Mauser but I gave it up a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.