Drawing of lots - finally happens!

Sneckboy

It's always at the 'bottom' as the last-resort in the criteria for separating teams who are level on points in football qualifying groups - after goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head record - but to my knowledge has never actually been required. Certainly not in a major tournament.

The current African Cup of Nations has delivered just such a scenario after a bizarre set of results in one of the groups.

All but one of the games ended 1-1.

Guinea and Mali are having to wait until this afternoon to discover their fate!

post-3020-0-10278900-1422529678.jpg

Even the flags are just about the same.  It does seem wrong that it comes down to the drawing of lots and there should be some way of separating teams in this situations.  With just 4 teams in a group it is not exactly an improbable scenario.  Perhaps giving the nod to the side that had the most corners in the 3 games would at least give an indication of attacking intent.

At least the side that loses out will have the small consolation knowing that they went home undefeated.

Somewhere in the back of my mind , there was a European cup final decided by a coin toss 

I think it may have involved Liverpool

It was before the days of penalty shoot outs

Edited by Laurence

It's always at the 'bottom' as the last-resort in the criteria for separating teams who are level on points in football qualifying groups - after goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head record - but to my knowledge has never actually been required. Certainly not in a major tournament.

The current African Cup of Nations has delivered just such a scenario after a bizarre set of results in one of the groups.

attachicon.gif1-1.jpg

Just give the cup to he Ivory Coast

Somewhere in the back of my mind , there was a European cup final decided by a coin toss 

I think it may have involved Liverpool

It was before the days of penalty shoot outs

Nah, it was a quarter final against Cologne in 65. Also Celtic v Benfica in 69, also the quarter final.

I think the away goals rule came in later in 65 but it wouldn't have affected either tie.

Liverpool had two goalless draws then a 2-2 in the playoff. Celtic won 3-0 at Parkhead before losing in Lisbon by the same score. Billy McNeill guessed correctly.

Another one I remember very clearly was in 72 when Rangers beat Sporting Lisbon 3-2 then lost by the same score over there. They played extra time which ended 1-1 and it went to penalties which Sporting won, 4-2 I think.

Then some journalist came up with the rule book showing that away goals counted double even in extra time.

So in contrast to modern times, Rangers actually benefited by following the rules rather than breaking them :lol:

• Agree 2

If this was the first time it has come to this, could the beneficiaries be described as Guinea pigs?

:getmecoat:

• Agree 1