IBM Transport

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

He never had it for long as it was heavy on fuel, 1500cc I think, and it was his car for getting to work as well. There was a local guy who had a huge yard full of old cars and my dad occasionally did jobs for him. He was said to be a millionaire and he wasn’t really bothered about making a living. If you wanted to try a car you had to get loads of other ones moved first. He was a bit of a legendary figure in Midlothian called Sonny Swinton.
Actually now I remember, the driver’s door got damaged in Academy Street, Inverness. He left us kids in the back of the van for a few minutes but never shut the door properly. Each time a car went past the door swung open and closed. Then a lorry went past and it got damaged.

Lucky none of the kids fell out, no seatbelts back then :wink:

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Nice machine although it will be even more big bucks to buy!  HIS have a Buzz van in the town fine for local deliveries.

Here is one from my old family photos, my father with the Albion Reiver that he drove in the early 60's transporting timber from Glenmoriston with Ardachy Lodge, Fort Augustus in the background which was a haunted ruin.

It was used for family transport on occasions during the holidays when we would spend a week or two at my grandparents in Dalwhinnie and after being down south all week my Dad would collect the family on the way home.  My mother in the passenger seat with my baby brother on her knee, my younger sister standing or sitting on the floor in front of her, my two older sisters and myself sitting on the engine cover with me at the back helping to change gear :wink:  Our luggage was tied on the platform with rope, what an adventure :lol:   And here is the interior of an Albion Reiver.

John Maclellan with Albion Reiver.jpg

Albion Reiver Cab.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I wonder what that cost in 1972. Had a quick search but no luck

I would estimate about 2-3k.  I bought a 1973 Ford Capri in 1976 for £1100 which I think was just over 2k new.

• Agree 1