IBM Transport

3 hours ago, IBM said:

A Reliant Dobbin?  Where were they Jock?  I know there was a Macleods Hotel in Church Street during the war until the early 50's which may have been about the same time.

I have given IBM a "like" for the Reliant Dobbin - kushty! I'm also struggling with the locations. Is the first one maybe Queensgate or Union St? I believe that MacDougalls Hotel in Chirch St was also a temperance establishment.

• Disagree 1

JST 369 Ford Popular registered Inverness 1955, FRS446 Austin A40 Somerset registered Aberdeen 1953 & NS3047 Austin A35 registered Sutherland 1955.  A lot of interest at Benzies sale, when did that change to Arnotts?  I am sure it was in the 70's.

Is that PC George Stewart and PC Wattie Kellas talking to the driver of the Wolsely 1500?

9 hours ago, IBM said:

....  A lot of interest at Benzies sale...

Benzies summer sale - and just look at the weather!

Plus you could help yourself to a baby from the selection parked outside in prams.

My wife - not in Inverness - was once left like that. Shortly after she was born, her Mum was out shopping - arrived home thinking "I know I've forgotten something", and then remembered "****!  I've got a baby!".

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Found a cracker IBM !!

image.jpg

You have me beat on that one IHE the only thing I can identify is the Honda 50 beside the statue :lol: I don't recall The Motorail Veteran Car Rally which must have been about 30 years ago.

It looks as if it may have been longer ago than 30 years IBM. This is in front of the "new" station building which apparently was replaced between 1966 and 1968. Also, the shop on the left says British European Airways which went out of existence in 1974. I also see a couple of miniskirts in the photo which may suggest mid-60s.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

It looks as if it may have been longer ago than 30 years IBM. This is in front of the "new" station building which apparently was replaced between 1966 and 1968. Also, the shop on the left says British European Airways which went out of existence in 1974. I also see a couple of miniskirts in the photo which may suggest mid-60s.

That could explain why I didn't recall it I was just a boy!  Here I am looking at cars and you at mini skirts :blink:

IHE-that's a lovely response to my otherwise rhetorical question 'cos I knew IBM would probably not reply being a nice, shy lad and all.     Gosh..and they've all got British faces.

Bit of a change from the Motley Crew ones we see over the pond every day. :wink: But, there you go, variety is the spice  of life, so they say.

Oh, and before I forget, my wife says she recently saw a couple of bees in the back yard  sucking nectar from my clover-ridden lawn. So there must be some still alive in the otherwise global, crisis-ridden planet. So I am not going to spend 4 hours hand picking the clover out of my lawns anymore and ruining my lower back in the process. Did you guys know that in the olden days the standard lawns were of clover, not grasses.

Here's a surprising factoid for IHE to mull over--my reading-up on this potentially agriculturally-disastrous death of the bee population reveals that if they all die out then mankind goes with them because they are, apparently, vital to our survival. No pollination means catastrophic ruin for all of us. Sends the shivers up my spine  because I can see it happening.

From very sunny and Spring-like Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.:wave:

11 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

c8b5663f6b729e35c20dc9be0a5f7cd8.jpg9cde0723d0af3eef2f24d156d7daee52.jpgmini-skirt_1464575c.jpg

A Daimler Majestic behind the young girl, a Cortina Mk2 with George standing at the tanker and a nice collection of Mini's :wink:

And just to the right of the photo was Hamilton Street and the Highland News where I "served my time" in hand and machine compositing, and a number of my uncles were born !