IBM Transport

This was my preferred form of transport

That was outside the Rolls Royce Showroom I have mentioned in a previous post, on the left as you head east along Strothers Lane.

Queensgate, on the right outside the hotel entrance a Sabb, Ford Zepher or Zodiac, Triumph Herald estate & Humber Hawk, the van further along is a Austin or Morris J2 and the small car pulling out is a Hillman Husky Van which would have been converted to a car by adding windows and rear seats which was done often at that time as I think there was no tax to pay on the van.  My father did it with an old Commer van in the early 60's.

Queensgate, on the right outside the hotel entrance a Sabb, Ford Zepher or Zodiac, Triumph Herald estate & Humber Hawk, the van further along is a Austin or Morris J2 and the small car pulling out is a Hillman Husky Van which would have been converted to a car by adding windows and rear seats which was done often at that time as I think there was no tax to pay on the van.  My father did it with an old Commer van in the early 60's.

When I was small there was a type of car I used to call a "Sunbeam Talbot" - quite simply because it was a Sunbeam which I first saw outside a cafe called the Queensgate Talbot which in the late 50s was just past the bottom left corner of that shot.

Did you ever get car sick CB? :smile:

Strangely enough DD, I did :smile:

When I was a kid there was a small tablet called Marzine which my mother would give me in a spoonful of jam before a car journey. Strangely enough, ever since that, all I have to do is to think about Marzine and jam and I feel slightly queazy. My parents thought I was very prone to motion sickness, but the reality is that I am only slightly/moderately prone but in my very young days, the only car I really went in was my uncle's and it was his tendency to over correct when steering that made me feel bad.

We only discovered that after my dad got his own car and, following a few Pavlovian months when I felt bad simply because I expected to, it then turned out that I was OK when my dad drove.

After that I wasn't in my uncle's car for years until I started going to County games post-1994 and to save parking in Dingwall he would give me a lift there and back from their house in Maryburgh. I was really glad that it was less than 2 miles!

There was a Sunbeam Talbot C B , It had quite wide running boards beneath the doors and I think a walnut facia with quite a few dials on it ...nice car in it's day,

Quite expensive for it's time.

Sunbeam-Talbot_90_Sedan_Front.jpg

Yes I've just realised I've told the story the wrong way round! The Sunbeam Talbot was outside the Queensgate Cafe which I therefore called The Queensgate Talbot.

You must have been thinking of the Marzine when you wrote that :lol:

Yes I've just realised I've told the story the wrong way round! The Sunbeam Talbot was outside the Queensgate Cafe which I therefore called The Queensgate Talbot.

You must have been thinking of the Marzine when you wrote that :lol:

I think what happened was that my mother next went into the Post Office next door to buy stamps, didn't realise that it was IHE who was serving behind the counter and let me lick them and put them on the envelopes. That entire day has been addled in my brain ever since!

looks like a combination of the old 1935 MG and a Riley ..both interesting cars. Wasn't the Riley a bit of a upper level car?

I don't think they were upper level but they were good in their day.  My father had 4, a Merlin before my time a 1952 2.5 which was green and black and had the running boards, a 1959 2.6 2 tone grey reg MHL555 which had a front bench seat and the gear leaver was on the right of the seat and the last one he had was a black & white 4/72 left hand drive reg 479FS which he bought after being smashed in Skye.  He did the body repairs and converted it to right hand drive with a dashboard from an MG.