Replacement Striker?

us2

Interesting to read in today's press and journal that John Hughes fears he won't have time to replace Mckay.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/474843/john-hughes-fears-he-wont-have-time-to-replace-billy-McKay

Anybody worried about this sort of talk. I really fear for our European hopes if we don't get anybody in in time. Any names being mentioned regarding potential signings or we all in the dark

Not dissing Billy but it was expected and plans seem to be in place (Christie for me) to try to cover for him. Bringing in a make shift player at this time could disrupt the whole squad. Billy's goals have been important but not so much this season but his work rate is what we need to replace.

The problem with reading stuff in the press is that you rarely get the full story on everything that has been said.

It's the reason we always put out interviews on the clubs YouTube channel without any unnecessary editing...even if it does mean it's 13 mins long (like this weeks one).

The fact that he says he hopes to get two in before Monday would suggest that we must have some interested players. Unfortunately it has taken a few days for the Billy deal to sort out so unless we pick an iron out of the fire tonight or early tomorrow morning then we will have to make do for County. I don't think it is imperative for tomorrow and I am sure if we had  to make do then we could get to the end of the season OK but if we do get injuries and suspensions then we could be in danger of the season falling flat. 

We'll not have anybody new for tomorrow. If fit, the obvious choice for me is Watkins. Good in the air and quick. I think we need to think about Ferguson for last 20 minutes, particularly if we're a couple up. If Watkins is not fit, then we're struggling a bit: Doran, Ross, Christie are not strikers and it requires a special skill. Maybe play 2 of them up front to give each other support?

Whatever, County won't have a Scooby how we're going to set up!

Rory McAllister?

Now don't laugh, this isn't my suggestion, it is in todays courier as is mention of Rory Loy and Gavin Reilly as potential pre contracts.

If someone could post a link I'd be grateful :-), I'm on my phone so can't add links because I don't ken how too.

Rory McAllister's goal scoring record is second to none. He won an SPFL player of the month award last season, the first player outside the Premiership to win the award. He was also voted League 2 player of the season. The only reason he isn't paying full time football at a higher level already is because he chose a different career. An unorthodox choice perhaps, but understandable. I would welcome him back.

• Agree 1

I suspect very much we'll see a loanee coming in from England in the next couple of days. We won't pay transfer fees and there are so few free agents of good quality kicking around at this time of year that they tend to be in high demand.

I'm not criticising the decision to selly Billy or release Sekajja, but it must be an extremely rare situation that a team in contention for a European place and not far off the top off the league finds itself going into a big game without any strikers - not because of bad luck or injuries, but because it effectively decided to put itself in that position!

As Yogi has said....just because we haven't asked any other players to play the advanced striker role this season doesn't mean we don't have any other strikers in the squad.

Personally, if we had got to where we are this season on the back of 20+ goals from Mckay then I may be a little apprehensive, but we've got goals coming from guys all over the pitch and no reason that should dry up.  Also keep in mind that if Mckay was still here then it's feasible you could be looking at a bench which contained Watkins, Doran, Christie & Vincent....all guys who pose an attacking threat and could easily play the advanced striker role.

• Agree 2

As Yogi has said....just because we haven't asked any other players to play the advanced striker role this season doesn't mean we don't have any other strikers in the squad.

Personally, if we had got to where we are this season on the back of 20+ goals from Mckay then I may be a little apprehensive, but we've got goals coming from guys all over the pitch and no reason that should dry up. Also keep in mind that if Mckay was still here then it's feasible you could be looking at a bench which contained Watkins, Doran, Christie & Vincent....all guys who pose an attacking threat and could easily play the advanced striker role.

Well we have played a game this season without Mckay up front at Parkhead and went with Watkins in the solo striker role in that particular game. I wasn't at that game but if I remember correctly we had a decent first half in that game where we could have been a few goals up.

We can cope in the short term without a 'recognised' but I'd like to hope we get one for the long term at the very least and after listening to Yogi's interview, I believe we will.

Watkins had a good game at Celtic Park that day.  I'm unconvinced as Doran as a lone striker as his shooting is pretty poor on the whole, while Vincent offers nothing going forward at all.

Should Watkins be out, I think Ryan Christie is most logical choice.  As I said on another thread though, I reckon Meekings could do it as well.

It would appear that you are all missing the point. We do NOT have any out and out centre forward types in the squad. We should have been planning for an immediate straight replacement fer Wee Billy not looking at playing other players out of position. Shure Marley can fill the gap (and filling the gap is what it should be) but that would lose and waste his prowess out wide. Christie is too lightweight and Ferguson is too raw. Fortunately we have probably got enuff in the tank to beat the caravan dwellers but it is further on in the season that worries me. This feels like a wee bit of over confidence in retaining Billy crept in and then Wigun, funded by a couple of transfers out, pounced with a doubling wages and extended contract proposal. I have been a great admirer of our management regime but this was amateur. I also evidently sincerely hope that Yogi pulls one out of the bag but that is now resting in the land of Luck and not in the Land of Anticipation and readiness as it should have been.

post-25-0-27295200-1422704741_thumb.png

• Agree 2

Not so sure the criticism of management is fair as they appear to have recognised the need for a striker when they signed Ibra.

However with success comes expectation both with incoming players and fans.

If an affordable striker is brought in and doesn't immediately come up to Billy's scoring prowess they will get stick.

If they sign a striker of note the wage expectation due to the clubs recent success is way beyond affordability

Damned if they do damned if they don't

Oh dear - the sight of the slightest criticism and the rose coloured spectacles abound. If they brought in Ibra fer cover then why has he been shunted and does that not suggest that they were aware of the potential loss of McKay ? Anybody they bring in now will be subject to close monitoring but that is of their making.