Partick Th -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

I thought first half we were excellent and Watkins could and should have had 3. We got in behind their defence almost every attack. 2nd half we were sitting so far back and defending too deep letting partick push on, the tempo of our game dropped letting them take control. Also esson punts the ball too much we miss the way brill allows to build play from the back making ball retention and possession hard.

but a win will do, lets get a trip to easter road please.

Fabulous win and what an open competition this has become!

Publicly, most of the managers will give it the old 'want a home game' or 'take who we get as you've got to beat them eventually' line. But privately, and naturally, everybody wants Spartans/Berwick!!

The draw on Monday is crucial - we're 'due' a home tie - but it rarely works that way!

Just had a look at some other fans forums and a recurring theme is that these clubs don't want Celtic or ICT!

We're in such a good position on two front's for securing an historic European spot. Obviously, we can achieve that aim by finishing in the top 3 but the cup permutations will become clearer after Monday's draw.

If Celtic do go on to win the Premiership...and progress to the Cup final, their opponents in the final, win or lose, will get a Euro spot.

I'm getting carried away and should know better!

So, for balance, and as a reminder to myself that there's much work ahead, our most recent Scottish Cup outcomes against the likely (I'll go for Dundee United and Rangers) remaining teams are:

Celtic - Lost

Hibernian - Lost

Queen of the South - Lost

Rangers* - Lost  *arguably not played

Spartans/Berwick - Never met either club

Dundee United - Lost

Falkirk - Lost

• Agree 3

So, for balance, and as a reminder to myself that there's much work ahead, our most recent Scottish Cup outcomes against the likely (I'll go for Dundee United and Rangers) remaining teams are:

Celtic - Lost

Hibernian - Lost

Queen of the South - Lost

Rangers* - Lost  *arguably not played

Spartans/Berwick - Never met either club

Dundee United - Lost

Falkirk - Lost

If you're including a game against "old" Rangers you could also include "old" Caley who knocked out Berwick after 2 replays in 1985-ish! That's been my only trip to Shielfield Park and I wouldn't mind another one.

I was also at that home game v Berwick (in dark glasses a hat and trench coat) and was also at the Inverness Thistle v Spartans game - round about the same 'time' (both 1-1) IIRC. So we can include Spartans as well! (or 'old' Thistle) Two can play that game!

Rival, if Celtic win the league and Scottish Cup, the runners-up in the cup get the Euro spot. However, if the runner-up (which could only be ICT or DDUtd) has already qualified through their league placing, then 4th place will get it!

With so many lower league teams remaining, if they keep getting drawn together, one of them might sneak the Euro spot!

Edited by Sneckboy

We're in such a good position on two front's for securing an historic European spot. Obviously, we can achieve that aim by finishing in the top 3 but the cup permutations will become clearer after Monday's draw.

If Celtic do go on to win the Premiership...and progress to the Cup final, their opponents in the final, win or lose, will get a Euro spot.

Something I've always wondered, do the runners up or 4th Place get Europe if Celtic win the cup?

Rival, if Celtic win the league and Scottish Cup, the runners-up in the cup get the Euro spot. However, if the runner-up (which could only be ICT or DDUtd) has already qualified through their league placing, then 4th place will get it!

With so many lower league teams remaining, if they keep getting drawn together, one of them might sneak the Euro spot!

Up until this season, then if the cup winners had qualified for the Chanpions League, then the cup runners up would get a Europa League spot, which IIRC was the lowest available. From this season the rules have changed, and the runners up cannot qualify, and the place would go to the league positions, 2nd gets the cup winner spot (which happens this season the be the one place in the 2nd qualifying round, the other 2 places are both 1st qualifying round), and everything else moves down one place. Likewise if 2nd or 3rd wins the cup, then they have the cup winner spot and the other spot(s) move down one place.

Info obtained through Wikipedia, as I cannot find anything specific on the UEFA, SFA or SPFL sites, however I had heard similar elsewhere.

• Agree 1

Yeah, they'd be allowed - but I assume you mean would their ground be suitable? It's too small but they'd be able to play at Easter Road. But, they'll probably get beaten 3-0 in the replay at Berwick! I'd love is I was wrong though!

Cheers Rasczak for pointing that out - I hadn't realised the 'cup runners-up' rule had changed again for next season! UEFA continually alter that - it's little wonder I can't keep up.

It's probably fair that the runners-up don't qualify, although it may lessen the chance of a 'minnow' sneaking in. The rule change is certainly beneficial for us given our current league position.

But, as well as being an avenue to Europe, I'd love us to win the Cup, for it's own sake.

I have moved to the final where Celtic versus ICT is the order of the day. Large payday for us which is what we need to strengthen our financial structure and give John Hughes  more room to mive re transfers etc.

Whew! We finally beat Partick--I was beginning to think that every dog may have it's  day but also a team might have a nemesis.

:clapoverhead:

Think we should take a big money game and bow out gracefully.  I mean, have you seen the state of the pitch at Hampden? Who the feck wants to play there?

:tongueincheek: 

I do, even if it means organising buses, trains & automobiles again.

post-25-0-21364900-1423392105_thumb.jpg

Well in preparation for the next Highland March some of the faithful Sneck footsoldiers trudged the Munros prior to the game. OK so it was the Munro Bar of 185 Great Western Road but there was a picture on the wall on the arduous trip to the basement toilets. And then we soldiered on to Firhill and amongst a very healthy travelling support we enjoyed some success in Maryhill (my FIRST watching win there !!). And nice to see some old faces in the crowd and such a child friendly atmosphere – no barking dogs or seals, no paedo or big nose chants although there may have been some truth in the rumour that Ryan Stevenson was pregnant.

To the game – a game of two halves or probably two quarters and a half. As I suspected Yogi had wound them up to the hilt in a pre-match “forget wee Billy” address. They came out of the traps like greyhounds on heat and nearly caught the feckin stuffed rabbit at the first corner. We completely and utterly dominated the first 20-25 minutes and sailed through the remainder of the half.

Just before the quarter hour MARLEY WATKINS should have opened the account but fluffed the finish. MARLEY was not to be denied and slotted in a well taken finish hardly a minute later. It was however fashioned by the very impressive ROSS DRAPER. Thistle defender Stephen O'Donnell played a terrible to pass to Abdul Osman in the middle of the park who was robbed by our feisty Ross The ball fell to Marley who held off Frederic Frans before clipping it low past Gaylord Gallacher to put us 1-0 up. Moments later Watkins was one-on-one again after Nick Ross sent him away but this time his low effort slid inches past the post.

Now at this point we should have been 3-0 up and before the inevitable comment of “But if wee Billy was there he would have socred a hat trick” – NOT – Watkins may not be, and sorry never will be a centre forward, but he fashioned the chances through strength and pace. Wee Billy would not have got himself in those positions.
And then I recalled our pervious league visit to Firhill when we cruised for 20 minutes, went 1-0 up and then imploded and left 1-3. There was a slight PTSD feeling but that was well and truly therapised by GREG TANSEY and what has to be a major contender for Goal of the Season. Good old  O'Donnell again lost possession in midfield and Greg Tansey picked the ball up 30 yards from goal. Tansey advanced forward, like a modern day Archie Gemmill,  shimmied past Frans like a Scouse ballerina and struck a superb right foot shot into the bottom left hand corner of Gaylord’s.

post-25-0-86987400-1423392136_thumb.jpg

We then unfortunately settled a bit – or were fecked in all truth – but still played some neat and tidy possession football which had Thistle chasing shadows.
And then came the second half, possibly as long a second half as I have witnessed in a long time. Thistle came out like a bunch of Taz’s and our back four must have felt that they were starring in a remake of the Alamo. To be fair they stood firm – too feckin deep for my liking – but Warren and Meekings were IMMENSE and there was a true Churchillian feel to the determination – ably abetted by one RYAN ESSON. He first produced a fine diving save on the hour to deny Stuart Bannigan. His handling was awry at times but he is more than a capable stand in fer Deano
Taylor then threw the Jags a massive lifeline – and got a MOM from the home support fer it !! -when he latched on to O'Donnell's long ball over the top and he appeared to out-muscle Gary Warren, who vehemently claimed his shirt was tugged. Need to see that again but ANOTHER stoopid yellow card to add to Gary’s collection.
The Alamo then joined forces with the Mafeking. It was boering and nerve tingling to watch but we deservedly survived. And thanks for that go to RYAN ESSON who produced a “world class save” in the 90th minute with a superb diving save to earn us a place in Monday's draw. Hopefully away to Berwick or the Doonhammers.

post-25-0-87314900-1423392286.jpg

After Hamilton I agreed with everything that Yogi said after the game – this week 80% - "On our first half performance it would have been an injustice had we not won the football match," said the Inverness boss. Some of the stuff we played in the first half, it was real good stuff. Dominated the game and should have been two or three goals up. That's my only disappointment, no-one in the second half was brave enough to get on the ball, two or three passes, and take the sting out of the game.”
Yogi – we put too much energy needlessly into the first half. Marley, Vincent and Williams were tireless and have to be lauded for their overall performances but they looked like headless feckin chickens at times. They all looked fit to drop near the end.

SMILEYMOMETER :clapoverhead: 

ESSON :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Wish he could play centre forward - Deserved a clean sheet.

RAVEN :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  As solid as steady and as reliable as ever - Rave On.

SHINNIE :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Back where he belongs as a marauding wing back 

WARREN :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:   Colossus at the back but still has that occasional lapse of concentration and picked up yet another absolutely needless booking. 

MEEKINGS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  If that display does not merit an improved contract ? 

VINCENT :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  110 % - ran and hustled all day long but could never keep up that work rate week by week. 

TANSEY :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Coolness personified - Glides gracefully through a game and his partnership with Draper is close to the best in Scotland at the moment. 

DRAPER :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  MOfeckinM by a country feckin mile   :notworthy:

WILLIAMS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  110 % - ran and hustled all day long but could never keep up that work rate week by week

ROSS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Another that can not be faulted for the effort but he is NOT an "in the hole" player. 

WATKINS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead: Never was, never is and never will be a centre forward and needs to be reined in by an old head and taught the wisdom of movement. Thistle sussed him out eventually but did he put the willies up em with his pace and strength. May be a harsh criticism but too much movement as he will knacker himself fer the rest of the season.

In conclusion only two words of advice fer Yogi - James Dean :wink:

post-25-0-29060500-1423392214.jpg

• Agree 8

Think we should take a big money game and bow out gracefully.  I mean, have you seen the state of the pitch at Hampden? Who the feck wants to play there?

:tongueincheek: 

I do, even if it means organising buses, trains & automobiles again. Aye the unsung hero's well done for getting in all organised week in week out.
  • Agree 1

Agree with IHE's summary. It was definitely a game of two halves.  Magnificent first half where we could have scored 5.  Wasn't sure if it was our planned tactics in the second half to let Partick have so much of the ball and come at us all the time, or whether it was just Partick being so much sharper after the break.  Either way, it certainly led to a nervy second half. Fortunately the defence held firm, with Esson making some critical saves.  It reminded me of what a good keeper he was/is.

Looking forward to an 'easier' draw in quarters.  As others have said, Berwick/Spartans at home would be good.

All in all a great day out with an excellent result.  Onwards and upwards!

Just to return to the changed European qualification criterion for cup runners-up, here's an 'official' link from UEFA's website.

The 'no place for runners-up' rule will be in place for the next 3 years (UEFA term this a 'cycle') before likely being reviewed. 

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2137611.html

The pertinent paragraph being:

Performances in domestic leagues will be rewarded. If a national cup winner has booked a UEFA Champions League spot, the highest-ranked club in their domestic league not already qualified for the UEFA Europa League will qualify for the competition; national cup runners-up no longer qualify.

attachicon.gifCUP.jpg

Well in preparation for the next Highland March some of the faithful Sneck footsoldiers trudged the Munros prior to the game. OK so it was the Munro Bar of 185 Great Western Road but there was a picture on the wall on the arduous trip to the basement toilets. And then we soldiered on to Firhill and amongst a very healthy travelling support we enjoyed some success in Maryhill (my FIRST watching win there !!). And nice to see some old faces in the crowd and such a child friendly atmosphere – no barking dogs or seals, no paedo or big nose chants although there may have been some truth in the rumour that Ryan Stevenson was pregnant.

To the game – a game of two halves or probably two quarters and a half. As I suspected Yogi had wound them up to the hilt in a pre-match “forget wee Billy” address. They came out of the traps like greyhounds on heat and nearly caught the feckin stuffed rabbit at the first corner. We completely and utterly dominated the first 20-25 minutes and sailed through the remainder of the half.

Just before the quarter hour MARLEY WATKINS should have opened the account but fluffed the finish. MARLEY was not to be denied and slotted in a well taken finish hardly a minute later. It was however fashioned by the very impressive ROSS DRAPER. Thistle defender Stephen O'Donnell played a terrible to pass to Abdul Osman in the middle of the park who was robbed by our feisty Ross The ball fell to Marley who held off Frederic Frans before clipping it low past Gaylord Gallacher to put us 1-0 up. Moments later Watkins was one-on-one again after Nick Ross sent him away but this time his low effort slid inches past the post.

Now at this point we should have been 3-0 up and before the inevitable comment of “But if wee Billy was there he would have socred a hat trick” – NOT – Watkins may not be, and sorry never will be a centre forward, but he fashioned the chances through strength and pace. Wee Billy would not have got himself in those positions.

And then I recalled our pervious league visit to Firhill when we cruised for 20 minutes, went 1-0 up and then imploded and left 1-3. There was a slight PTSD feeling but that was well and truly therapised by GREG TANSEY and what has to be a major contender for Goal of the Season. Good old  O'Donnell again lost possession in midfield and Greg Tansey picked the ball up 30 yards from goal. Tansey advanced forward, like a modern day Archie Gemmill,  shimmied past Frans like a Scouse ballerina and struck a superb right foot shot into the bottom left hand corner of Gaylord’s.

attachicon.gifCUP 2.jpg

We then unfortunately settled a bit – or were fecked in all truth – but still played some neat and tidy possession football which had Thistle chasing shadows.

And then came the second half, possibly as long a second half as I have witnessed in a long time. Thistle came out like a bunch of Taz’s and our back four must have felt that they were starring in a remake of the Alamo. To be fair they stood firm – too feckin deep for my liking – but Warren and Meekings were IMMENSE and there was a true Churchillian feel to the determination – ably abetted by one RYAN ESSON. He first produced a fine diving save on the hour to deny Stuart Bannigan. His handling was awry at times but he is more than a capable stand in fer Deano

Taylor then threw the Jags a massive lifeline – and got a MOM from the home support fer it !! -when he latched on to O'Donnell's long ball over the top and he appeared to out-muscle Gary Warren, who vehemently claimed his shirt was tugged. Need to see that again but ANOTHER stoopid yellow card to add to Gary’s collection.

The Alamo then joined forces with the Mafeking. It was boering and nerve tingling to watch but we deservedly survived. And thanks for that go to RYAN ESSON who produced a “world class save” in the 90th minute with a superb diving save to earn us a place in Monday's draw. Hopefully away to Berwick or the Doonhammers.

attachicon.gifCUP 4.jpg

After Hamilton I agreed with everything that Yogi said after the game – this week 80% - "On our first half performance it would have been an injustice had we not won the football match," said the Inverness boss. Some of the stuff we played in the first half, it was real good stuff. Dominated the game and should have been two or three goals up. That's my only disappointment, no-one in the second half was brave enough to get on the ball, two or three passes, and take the sting out of the game.”

Yogi – we put too much energy needlessly into the first half. Marley, Vincent and Williams were tireless and have to be lauded for their overall performances but they looked like headless feckin chickens at times. They all looked fit to drop near the end.

SMILEYMOMETER :clapoverhead: 

ESSON :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Wish he could play centre forward - Deserved a clean sheet.

RAVEN :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  As solid as steady and as reliable as ever - Rave On.

SHINNIE :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Back where he belongs as a marauding wing back 

WARREN :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:   Colossus at the back but still has that occasional lapse of concentration and picked up yet another absolutely needless booking. 

MEEKINGS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  If that display does not merit an improved contract ? 

VINCENT :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  110 % - ran and hustled all day long but could never keep up that work rate week by week. 

TANSEY :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Coolness personified - Glides gracefully through a game and his partnership with Draper is close to the best in Scotland at the moment. 

DRAPER :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  MOfeckinM by a country feckin mile   :notworthy:

WILLIAMS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  110 % - ran and hustled all day long but could never keep up that work rate week by week

ROSS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  Another that can not be faulted for the effort but he is NOT an "in the hole" player. 

WATKINS :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead:  :clapoverhead: Never was, never is and never will be a centre forward and needs to be reined in by an old head and taught the wisdom of movement. Thistle sussed him out eventually but did he put the willies up em with his pace and strength. May be a harsh criticism but too much movement as he will knacker himself fer the rest of the season.

In conclusion only two words of advice fer Yogi - James Dean :wink:

Good report i h e but where do get warrens fantasy bookings from ?

Great win for us hopefully a chance to get to another semi final now though. It wasn't Warren who was out muscled for the goal was Meekings. An also it was only Warrens second booking of the season so hardly a collection compared to recent seasons. Great win for us hopefully a chance to get to another semi final now though.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment, but the BBC report has Inverness as having no bookings yesterday. Collum seems to have improved!

collum has improved- well for that match at least

However warren was booked for sure but it appeared to be for dissent

I wasn't at the game so can't comment, but the BBC report has Inverness as having no bookings yesterday. Collum seems to have improved!

collum has improved- well for that match at least

However warren was booked for sure but it appeared to be for dissent

It's strange - but none of the 'usual' football reporting outlets have noted a booking for Warren. BBC, SKY, Soccerway, SoccerBase etc.

But these 'sources' often get their stats from the same agency, so if one's wrong, they'll all be wrong!

It could be important later on, when a player can miss a big game due to earlier bookings.