Inverness - the City of today

Wasnt Cawdor supposed to have links with macBeath?

Sometimes the history and the dramatic version are at odds when Shakespeare becomes involved and in the case of Macbeth and a few other later plays as well, the Bard was brown-nosing King James who was known to be very anti-witchcraft.

Early in the play, the three witches tell Macbeth, who is already Thane of Glamis, that he will also become Thane of Cawdor and King of Scotland.

Then in comes old King Duncan (of Well fame) and creates Macbeth Thane of Cawdor. This sets Lady Macbeth in particular thinking about the next step and she winds Macbeth up to murder Duncan and become king himself.

She says: "Glamis thou art, and Cawdor - and shalt be as thou art promised. But yet do I fear thy nature. It is too full of the milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way."

But she does eventually manage to goad the newly created Thane of Cawdor into going the next step.... with liteally tragic consequences.

And that sounds awfully like the modern version of  Shakespeare's play, I.H.E. --Oh you are a clever old devil. One of these days I will meet up with you for a yarn or two. Have you ever been  to Canada ?

As for the truth behind all the old stories and legends and book lore who knows where it lies. They were all "at it" in these lawless days and one was little better than another as far as I can judge. From lawless castle take-overs. to sheep and cattle reiving , to kidnapping and rape of damsels from their families --the young lady Keith was  taken by storm up to Caithness by one of these Northern Lords of the Manor  to one of his  castles there and imprisoned. Finally, with her spirit and hope broken she then jumped out the window to her death 20-30 feet below rather then submit to him.Thus leading to a bitter feud by Keith and this fellow.

The latter, by the way,  being one of the wealthiest baronetcies in Britain. He came over from France with the Duke of Normandy in 1066 and was assigned lands in the North of Scotland when the English tracts of land that were  allocated to others who had helped William the Conqueror ran out. Same with a lot of other Scottish landed gentry.

Now this is not a joke - it is a proposal for a "tilting bridge " opposite the cathedral

At a time when they are planning the merging of schools to save money and can't even get traffic flowing around Inverness in a half decent manner.... nonsense like this IS a complete joke!

That would never get past the health and safety regulations!  Charles you could stand for election to the council now you have more time :smile:

Now this is not a joke - it is a proposal for a "tilting bridge " opposite the cathedral

At a time when they are planning the merging of schools to save money and can't even get traffic flowing around Inverness in a half decent manner.... nonsense like this IS a complete joke!

That would never get past the health and safety regulations!  Charles you could stand for election to the council now you have more time :smile:

In that case it would have to be as an "Independent Independent" as opposed to the "Independent Party" which seems to exist within Highland Council.

But it would be quite good crack to be able to stand up in the Council chamber and create a stink every time some Elfin Safety Jobsworth attempted to overstep his authority!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

If my memory serves me right, going back to the fifties wasn't there a John Bannerman a Liberal MP who once served on the Inverness Council?

A relative perhaps CB?

Not a relative of mine, but I had been very aware of him because he made two narrowly unsuccessful attempts to be elected as Liberal MP for Inverness-shire in the 1950s.

According to his Wikipedia, that branch of the family was formerly from S. Uist although John Bannerman was a Glaswegian. He eventually became Lord Bannerman of Kildonan (the Sutherland Strath from where many Bannermans originate) and won 37 rugby caps for Scotland. His daughter was Rae Michie, formerly Lib Dem MP for Argyll and Bute and his grandson is former Scottish rugby internationalist Shade Munro.

I have been wondering about your possible relationship with that said gent for literally years but was far too diplomatic to suggest that there might be a connection with a Polly tician.

Now you say  he is no relative.

Then that's that put to bed and I can finally relax. :laugh:

Good photo, I always like coming back down Drumossie brae towards home after being away great view from the top of the hill, it was even better on Saturday night :smile: