Raven - Shinnie - Tremarco

CaleyD

Noticed in a couple of places recently that Shinnie, Raven & Tremarco have been re-branded as Defensive Wingers as opposed to Left/Right Fullbacks.

Also, are these guys really defensive wingers?  I would have thought it more accurate to describe them as attacking fullbacks....or does our setup/tactics lend itself more to them having developed more into defensive wingers...or are they something else?

Discuss...

It is quite plausible that Raven,Shinnie and Tremarco could be classed as 'Wingbacks'. I can't comment on the shape of the team at the last two games but certainly at Partick a few weekends back it looked to me that Vincent and Williams were playing a more central role with both Raven and Shinnie were playing quite a highline meaning they could be classed as wingbacks.

In my opinion the use of wingbacks enhance our passing and attacking style of play.

I've always felt wing-back was the term for players like Shinnie and Tokely before him.  Going forward and staying forward and are good at threatening the goal themselves.  Attacking full-backs would probably suit Raven and Tremarco as they get forward but more in support and then retreating afterwards.

My understand of the term 'defensive wingers' is that these are players in the wing position, who press the opposing full-back and then hold up the ball for teammates to get forward.  Similar to the role Foran played in the First Division.

I never like the fancy terms that are used to define players these days. The extent to which someone who lines up toward the back of the team joins the attack will be dependent on the game plan and the way the game develops.  As far as I'm concerned, Raven is a Right Back and Shinnie and Tremarco are Left Backs.  I think they are all good going forward and personally I would like them to press forward more positively more often.  By the way, where did the term "Fullback" come from? what is wrong with simply a Left Back and Right Back?  After all, you have Centre Backs and not Centre Fullbacks. 

• Agree 1

Whats wrong with good old fashioned positions?

Keeper

Sweeper

Centre Back-----Centre Back

Right FullBack-----Stopper-----Left FullBack

Defensive MidFielder

Right MidFielder-----Centre MidFielder-----Left MidFielder

Attacking MidFielder

Right Forward-----Second Striker-----Left Forward

Striker

• Agree 1

Keeper

Sweeper

Defensive MidFielder

Attacking MidFielder

Striker

I like this.  Playing 16 players should give us the edge in most games!

• Agree 6

With the style Yogi uses I prefer to think of everyone of our squad as footballers - in the total football game when we have the ball everyone is an attacker and when we don't have the ball everyone is a defender.

I like to think that with the way our club is coached everyone in our squad is capable of contributing to degfence and attack and will be comfortable on the ball in any part of the pitch.

Edited by johnh
  • Agree 2

Doofers Dad--as soon as I read your first sentence I gave you a like.

What was wrong with the old names?  Change for the sake of change isnt it, but nothing else as far as I can see?

Full back probably was used to differentiate a Full back from a  Half back and, even if that statement is somewhat  half-baked, you understand an old Pimple don't you? :lol:

It's almost as baffling as the cricket terms:--  silly mid-off etc. :wave:  I think that meant the guy was off his game and when he was on it they called him Silly mid-on. Or when his bat disintegrated on impact the he was derisively called a "silly-billy"   (with a small K.).

• Agree 1

Keeper

Sweeper

Defensive MidFielder

Attacking MidFielder

Striker

What happened to the good old fashioned Centre Forward ?

Keeper

Sweeper

Defensive MidFielder

Attacking MidFielder

Striker

What happened to the good old fashioned Centre Forward ?

and the goalie, right back, left back, right half, centre half, left half, right winger, inside right, inside left and left winger?

With the style Yogi uses I prefer to think of everyone of our squad as footballers - in the total football game when we have the ball everyone is an attacker and when we don't have the ball everyone is a defender.

I like to think that with the way our club is coached everyone in our squad is capable of contributing to degfence and attack and will be comfortable on the ball in any part of the pitch.

The final piece of the jigsaw is getting Deano and Esson to play like an extra outfield player, like Manuel Neuer, then we've cracked it!