When has a new player scored on debut before?

lizi

As Edward Ofere only arrived at ICT a couple of days ago, has had no time to get to know the players, know the system of play, or even get fit for the SPFL, is he the first ever ICT player to score on his debut ? 

Edited by lizi

James Vincent scored a penalty in his first game against St Mirren.  Duncan Shearer scored on his debut as well, as did Andy Barrowman.

Chris Hogg also scored his only goal for us on his debut.

Edited by Renegade

Alan Hercher, Wilson Robertson.

Connor Pepper.

I'm not so sure about Herchie. Wilson Robertson scored in the team's first ever competitive match, a 2-0 Coca Cola win away to East Stirling on 9th August 1994 (the other goal was an OG.) As far as I am aware, Herchie (who was team captain that season) played in that game and then scored a hat trick v Arbroath in CT's first ever SFL match (5-2 at home to Arbroath 4 days later), but his second competitive appearance.

If you want to include friendlies, then the first official friendly, in which both Herchie and Wilson Robertson played, was a 3-0 defeat by St Mirren so on that basis neither scored on their debut. On the other hand Ian Broadfoot refers to an earlier closed doors kind of encounter with RAF players as the club's first ever "game", so if both Hercher and Robertson scored on that occasion, some kind of case could perhaps be made.

Robertson, by the way, scored not only CT's first competitive goal but also Caledonian's last in the 1-1 draw at Huntly in May 1994.

• Agree 1

I'd always thought Hercher scored in the opening game. The official website has him as a scorer that day, so I'm counting it!

attachicon.gif1.jpg

At the time it was definitely frequently credited as an OG but I now see where you are coming from Sneckboy. I have just checked Ian Broadfoot's book and he somewhat sits on the fence saying that the official record gives it to Herchie although several other sources credit it as an OG.

I have to say that 20 years on that's the first time I've seen it credited as an OG, but that's now what the official record says.

No point in asking Herchie... he will claim it for sure!!

PS - official records can be wrong and this pedant would point out that the official record in the previous post refers to the club as "Inverness CT" whereas at that time it was simply "CT".... Caledonian Thistle :smile:

PPS - I'm glad that the uncertainty is about Caley Thistle's second competitive goal and not the first which was definitely Wilson Robertson. Herchie then had his 15 minutes of fame (or rather 19 because that's what it took him), when he got the club's first SFL goal and hat trick v Arbroath four days later.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

I'd always thought Hercher scored in the opening game. The official website has him as a scorer that day, so I'm counting it!

attachicon.gif1.jpg

At the time it was definitely frequently credited as an OG but I now see where you are coming from Sneckboy. I have just checked Ian Broadfoot's book and he somewhat sits on the fence saying that the official record gives it to Herchie although several other sources credit it as an OG.

I have to say that 20 years on that's the first time I've seen it credited as an OG, but that's now what the official record says.

No point in asking Herchie... he will claim it for sure!!

PS - official records can be wrong and this pedant would point out that the official record in the previous post refers to the club as "Inverness CT" whereas at that time it was simply "CT".... Caledonian Thistle :smile:

PPS - I'm glad that the uncertainty is about Caley Thistle's second competitive goal and not the first which was definitely Wilson Robertson. Herchie then had his 15 minutes of fame (or rather 19 because that's what it took him), when he got the club's first SFL goal and hat trick v Arbroath four days later.

Just to clarify things ....

the records displayed in previous posts are showing information that was supplied to us by (retired) club historian Ian Broadfoot who kept meticulous records until a few years ago. His reports, spreadsheets and word documents form the basis of all the stats on this site and also on the official site who pull in the data from the same location using the same program. I believe we started adding our own data based on the public records of the matches themselves, sometime after 2004 but for the first couple of years we verified all of that info with Ian's stats until he retired to deepest darkest Perthshire.   

It should also be noted that the club is called Inverness CT rather than Caledonian Thistle in the early stats info as the program we use does not allow us to give the club separate names per season (otherwise we would have done so). 

Incidentally, I believe we still have a few seasons to add by hand (a boring and repetitive task) so if anyone is volunteering ....... :lol:

It should also be noted that the club is called Inverness CT rather than Caledonian Thistle in the early stats info as the program we use does not allow us to give the club separate names per season (otherwise we would have done so). 

So, in similar records elsewhere, THAT'S who you tend not to see "Sevco" referred to all that much? :wink:  

Bloody computers, though! How often do you find that you can't do something because some damned lump of electronics says so? Back in their early days I went into the paper shop to pay my mother's papers but they said they coldn't take the money because the computer was checking the bills. Then you get sports events where it's clearly to everybody's benefit to make a late change but you can't because the computer says you can't. And don't start me on school science experiments!

OK. Rant over. Never liked the things. :lol:

However, irrespective of what the computer says, that important inaugural game was East Stirlingshire v Caledonian Thistle because that was what the club was called at the time. As for the goal, there is clearly considerable doubt, as Ian Broadfoot is at pains to emphasise in his book.

However, irrespective of what the computer says, that important inaugural game was East Stirlingshire v Caledonian Thistle because that was what the club was called at the time. As for the goal, there is clearly considerable doubt, as Ian Broadfoot is at pains to emphasise in his book.

This is Ian's officially submitted report and therefore, rightly or wrongly, the club's official record for this game as it relates to scorers ..... I have explained the naming issue so no need to comment further on that. 

TUESDAY 9th AUGUST 1994

FIRS PARK, FALKIRK                                           

COCA-COLA CUP FIRST ROUND

EAST STIRLING  0

CALEDONIAN THISTLE  2 (Robertson 36, Hercher 45)

EAST STIRLING - Moffat, Watt, Cuthbert, Russell, Yates, R. Lee, I.Lee, Miller, McCallum, Scott (Stirling 70), Geraghty                

Subs - Imrie & Dempsey

CALEDONIAN THISTLE - McRitchie, Brennan, McAllister, Noble, Scott, Andrew, D. MacDonald, McKenzie (Smart 66), Hercher, Bennett, Robertson                                

Subs - Calder & Lisle

REFEREE -  Mr M. Clark (Edinburgh)                                        ATTENDANCE -  899

MAN OF THE MATCH -  Wilson Robertson (Caledonian Thistle)

REPORT -   A fine performance by Caledonian Thistle in their first competitive match won them a second round tie against Dundee.  The home 'keeper Moffat denied both Hercher and McAllister but the deadlock was broken in the 36th minute when Wilson Robertson scored after a 1-2 with Paul MacKenzie.  Just on half time they went two ahead - Hercher distracted Ian Lee and a Scott corner ricocheted into the net off the defender.  Alan Hercher was credited with the goal.  In the second half the result was never in doubt and both MacDonald and Hercher nearly increased the visitors' lead.  East Stirling did come close seven minutes from time when John Scott was forced to clear from his line. A few minutes later Robertson and Noble had shots saved by Moffat. In the last minute a Geraghty shot nearly gave East Stirling a consolation goal but it came off the bar.

He glosses over the second goal in this excerpt from the season review ....

The Club’s first competitive match was a Coca-Cola Cup 1st Round match against East Stirling on Tuesday 9th August 1994.  It was played at East Stirling’s Firs Park and Caley Thistle won 2-0.  The honour of scoring the first goal went to Wilson Robertson.  The following Saturday they played their first Scottish League match at Telford Street and spectacularly beat Arbroath 5-2.  Alan Hercher was the local hero with a hat-trick.  The Inverness fans came down to earth the following Wednesday when they went out of the Coca-Cola Cup 3-0 at Dundee.