Classic BBC Journalism

RedCard

We got top billing on the BBC Sport website for a couple of hours last week at least.

xT1cjP4.png

Edited by Guest

I suspect the standard will go down even further with the departure of the rather good and intelligent Jim Spence.

What's the betting he'll be replaced by yet another inarticulate Weegie with some connection to one or other of the Ugly Sisters ?

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Well, wasn't that the worst "highlights" coverage you've ever seen last night? If it wasn't the sun obliterating the view, it was the dodgy filmy from what looked like the dugout! ...And then all the talk is about Dundee Utd. Not watching Scotsport again.

• Agree 2

Well, wasn't that the worst "highlights" coverage you've ever seen last night? If it wasn't the sun obliterating the view, it was the dodgy filmy from what looked like the dugout! ...And then all the talk is about Dundee Utd. Not watching Scotsport again.

Totally agree but if you were watching Scotsport, you must be watching from a time machine:smile:

• Agree 2

Livingston 0-2 Inverness CT

Livi striker Gary Glen hooks a shot just wide minutes after an errant header from Caley Thistle defender Gary Warren had flashed narrowly past his own post.

Classic from the BBC text match updates.  Doesn't say much for the Livi attack if a man with a broken leg is keeping them out, go on Gaz!

Edited by PCS
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain why the running order on Sportscene put the Championship games ahead of 3 Premiership games last night? I should no longer be surprised or irked by the constant pandering to the ugly sisters.....but I am!!! Nor should I still watch such a pants programme...and yet I continue to! Garbage.

• Agree 1

Can anyone explain why the running order on Sportscene put the Championship games ahead of 3 Premiership games last night? I should no longer be surprised or irked by the constant pandering to the ugly sisters.....but I am!!! Nor should I still watch such a pants programme...and yet I continue to! Garbage.

I don't have a problem with Championship highlights being included per se, but they shouldn't be made to look as if they're in the top flight (I must have missed Dumbarton's recent promotion!).  Either show them at the end or not at all.  On top of that, why are Rangers' games given special treatment?  Every week their matches seem to get more coverage than everyone else, with the Hibs (and occasionally the Alba game) just given a quick run over.  Watch out for it next week, the Rangers match gets the full nine yards while the other match (if they show them) is just the goals which gets talked over.  The BBC is not a commercial broadcaster.  They don't need to pander to anyone in order to get viewers or sponsorship.

Rangers were quick to ban the BBC not so long ago, yet the BBC seem desperate to give them as much coverage as they can (notice they also seem desperate to broadcast every cup fixture they have as well).  They're becoming more and more like a creepy stalker who's love letters continue to get ignored.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Probably will get worse next season . Expect we will get  less air time if the new rangers win promotion :sad:

Wonder if their Championship highlights will magically cease as well....?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

The BBC recently agreed to pay £204M to cover highlights on MOTD for the next 3 seasons. ITV declined to bid.

with the BBC being our national broadcaster you'd expect a proportionate amount, say £20M, to be allocated to the SPFL. However the BBC admits that its bids are now market-driven and not on a community or population basis. 

In other words it suits them to throw even more money at the richest league in the world even though Scottish football is dying on its feet and desperately needs the investment.

As an aside, the Scottish 'take' from the Tv license is c£300M while the budget of BBC Scotland in 2016 will be £86M.

OK, I'm not forgetting that for that £300M we also get access to Eastenders etc, but next time you complain about the amateurish coverage with Billy Dodds etc, remember that a whole season of Sportscene costs as much as 1 episode of MOTD.

• 4 months later...

Interesting to hear quite a few of the supporters down at yesterday's game saying that we deserved to win, better team and so on. Well both the "sportscenes" commentator and "open all mikes" commentator seemed to think that Motherwell should have been the team to score and that they were the better side! 

Whenever I listen to either, I can't help but think that the commentators are looking for reasons to slag us off! 

Is it just me or does anyone else think this? 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, DEANO96 said:

Interesting to hear quite a few of the supporters down at yesterday's game saying that we deserved to win, better team and so on. Well both the "sportscenes" commentator and "open all mikes" commentator seemed to think that Motherwell should have been the team to score and that they were the better side! 

Whenever I listen to either, I can't help but think that the commentators are looking for reasons to slag us off! 

On the BBC web site yesterday, Chick Dung was claiming that Gomis was terrorising us in the first half. The only fear I had was that he'd be hooked at half time. He was murder. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, DEANO96 said:

its not you i listened to Open all mics and Chic Dung was certainly sounded much more enthusiastic for Motherwell but the goal even he couldn't short change us with the goal.