Classic BBC Journalism

RedCard

Talking about the BBC, I caught a bit of 5 live tonight, and they were talking about it being a bonus about some team being in Europe and how it may help them attract players. It then became clear they were talking about us! Great, I thought. And then Chris Sutton opened his mouth. He's still whining about the semi final! Apparently Meekings punched the ball off the line, and it was the worst decision in the history of Scottish football. What a complete and utter welt.

In too good a mood to moan about narrow minded erseholes who cant be bothered giving extra media coverage.

We won it in the hard way.

We did 5 in a row  knocking out  3 SPFL teams  including our league bogey team, St Mirren, Celtic and 2 Championship teams.

We didnt get lucky draws to make the final like Gretna.

We didnt need to go millions of pounds in to debt to be there.

We didnt need a wealthy billionaire to get us there either.

We earned the right to be there, even with the resources that we have and we still won it, because of that Im Proud, very Proud.

Now if the BBC Scotland cant be bothered covering it for local evening TV viewing and choose to cover a few thugs hitting each other instead and you don't need any special skills for that. Then perhaps the BBC has lost a bit of credibility. 

The BBC did not have much credibility in my opinion especially with pundits like Chick Young!

For the most part, it's not the journalism that is at fault....at least not from the point of view of the reporters who spend a bit of time at/around, and have a good relationship with, the club.

The issues come when you get people who try to report from afar and/or when the stories are being dictated/formed by producers and editors who have never stepped foot anywhere near Inverness and can't see beyond their own little bubble.  This is something that is more prevalent with some broadcasters than others and the reason why STV are more readily able to satisfy regional needs/demands the way they do when it comes to reporting news/events.

To be fair to the BBC, I watched Sportscene saturday night at my hotel, and thought they did a pretty good job and covered ICT's victory from every angle!

...but then they went and spoilt it all by spending the last 10 minutes previewing the play off second leg, on a Cup Final programme ffs!!!!

Yes, I heard the chat on Sunday morning on Radio Scotland around the cup win and its potential impact on Inverness and its size of support. What really bugs me about this argument is that you'd think we were the only Premiership team that had a small support and that all the others were turning punters away from packed stadia every week. In fact, Partick Thistle, Ross County and Hamilton all had smaller average attendances and we were pretty much on a par with St Mirren. You don't hear Chic Young using the Midden as an example of a club that needs to be working harder to get punters through the gate. Maybe I missed it, but was the same debate held last year after St J's cup win?

Whatever the issue is with the game in Scotland and declining crowds, it is not unique to ICT. I have no doubt that Kenny Cameron and his small team will be trying everything to capitalise on the Cup triumph and I'm sure they don't need to take advice from Chic "everyone wants Rangers back in the top league" Young!

• Agree 1

I don't know if it is just the BBC but anyhow, it was on the BBC website that I noted that in the fixtures for the FIFA Women's World Cup they are appending the word "Women" after the country names.  For instance, tonight we have Sweden Women v Nigeria Women.  Given that the competition name explicitly has the word "Women" in it, it seems totally unnecessary to add this into the team name.  Is this just the BBC being overtly sexist in how they are reporting the competition?

It's a shame really because the women's game deserves to be taken seriously on it's own merits without people reporting it in a sexist way or making cheap sexist jokes about it.  I have watched some of the early highlights and there is some really pretty good stuff on display.  The football's been OK too.  :slapme:

• Agree 3

Chris Sutton never seen the cup final footage of the Celtic player blatantly and obviously kicking the ball out of play (v rangers) then proceeding to take the throw in and whilst rangers are appealing they go and score what proves to be the winner. I also believe that same final ended in a riot which saw a blanket alcohol ban in top flight Scottish football.

Now THAT was a bad decision Mr Sutton.

• 3 weeks later...

Even more lazy journalism. Just noticed on our bbc sports page that it says our next match is the league fixture against motherwell, not the europa game. Where as the other 3 teams involved in europe have their qualifier game as next fixture. Even more proof of central belt bias trying to erase our achievements me thinks???

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

From today's BBC 'gossip section' : Classic misuse of grammar - perhaps it was Derek Ferguson who was dictating - as he's frequently 'guilty' of this! As is Willie Miller!

The Dons are through after winning on away goals against Shkendija,
but beaten manager Shpetim Duro believes the best team have went out of the competition. (Various)

Deteriorations seem to be world wide.

The CBC T V News (Canadian News Channel-- I think) no longer spell checks the ticker flashes that roll along the bottom of th T V during the news delivery. Resulting sometimes in  howlers. Must be a money issue....?:lol:

Thought I miss herd our own CB's report on BBC Radio Scotland this morning when he said Doran had scored the goal for ICT against Nairn on Saturday but it was the same an hour later!  He should have read the thread on the forum where he would have found it was Foran :lol: