Can you remember ?

Could she draw a belt IBM?

Mister diminutive Thom in the Academy in my teens once nearly took my two  hands off for inattention, which unfortunately was a habit I had cultivated for some time. But this time he drew tears.

I mean, tying your leg to the desk stanchion with your IRA scarf is not a crime is it? It took me a while to get loose so as I could take his belt and the tension must have built up in the poor soul. :lol: When he got on his stepladder to get higher than me I knew I was about to reap the whirlwind--which, by the way, nearly bowled me over before the tawse arrived in full spate. 

At that time of my life it was the most physically painful thing I had ever experienced and he must have been annoyed or something? So I took up banging desk lids when his back was turned in revenge; with my feet whilst my hands were out of service. :crazy:

Oh dear, I am so glad I found Scotty's site --takes me back in time to my best years.... :notworthy:

Could she draw a belt IBM?

Mister diminutive Thom in the Academy in my teens once nearly took my two  hands off for inattention, which unfortunately was a habit I had cultivated for some time. But this time he drew tears.

I mean, tying your leg to the desk stanchion with your IRA scarf is not a crime is it? It took me a while to get loose so as I could take his belt and the tension must have built up in the poor soul. :lol: When he got on his stepladder to get higher than me I knew I was about to reap the whirlwind--which, by the way, nearly bowled me over before the tawse arrived in full spate. 

At that time of my life it was the most physically painful thing I had ever experienced and he must have been annoyed or something? So I took up banging desk lids when his back was turned in revenge; with my feet whilst my hands were out of service. :crazy:

Oh dear, I am so glad I found Scotty's site --takes me back in time to my best years.... :notworthy:

Yes, Davie Thom certainly had the reputation for being able to lay it.

• Agree 1

Remember when Street football was all the rage ?

Definitely, used to love it and if all the balls got burst, as did happen in my early years, we invented a game using sticks, a piece of flat wood and belted it just like ice hockey on tar. Any from four in number upwards were the sides and the more that played the more the goals were moved back.. Who needed play stations in them days.......... Yeah and you would sometimes hear a shout of car coming and the game would be held up till the car went past.

The youngsters nowadays would not understand would they Bughtie. They just don't know  how it felt do they? 

I was quite lucky since only three teachers ever belted me, they were all women and only Mrs Ballantyne - my P7 teacher and next door neighbour! - could lay it, albeit without the power of a man.

I briefly had David Thom for Higher Latin and he was pretty OK. On the other hand if he was crossed or if anyone was sent to him, he used to respond pretty vigorously.

He had two sons, and when became a chiropodist and the other a dentist, they apparently became known as Foot and Mouth!

The old pedescope, didn't actually measure the feet it was an xray showing the positions of the bones of the foot inside the shoe. I think it was towards the end of the fifties that realisation came that the operator or fitter was being bombarded with radiation, so in consequence it was banned from use.

The old pedescope, didn't actually measure the feet it was an xray showing the positions of the bones of the foot inside the shoe. I think it was towards the end of the fifties that realisation came that the operator or fitter was being bombarded with radiation, so in consequence it was banned from use.

In hindsight, it's incredible that these X-ray machines lasted as long as they did. There must have been danger to users never mind operators who would receive multiple exposures. Think these days about the way the dentist retreats out of the door before remotely activating the tiniest zap to X-ray your mouth.

I certainly remember one of these machines, probably about 1960, in Melville's Globe shoeshop the Bank of Scotland now is in Eastgate. One look at that and a modern Elfin Safety guru woyld have spontaneously filled his pants! :lol:

Chane of ball shape - but who can remember Scottish Rugby as a force and a strong Highland connection ?

I know... 'cos I was there!!! :smile:

Northern Meeting Park, February 1976 I mean - along with about 3000 others. It was Highland 20 Selkirk 0 which won Highland the Division 2 championship and promotion in 3 straight seasons from D4 to D1. What an afternoon that was, with Bill MacLaren doing commentary for Rugby Special into the bargain.

On the left of the photo is Nairn MacEwan and on the right is Gordon Brown - the rugby legend, not the politician. I'm not sure what the photo is, but it rings a vague bell and may well be a mid/late 70s commenrcial promotion. I'm trying to remember where Stewarts hairstylist in the background was - I think it may have been Academy Street?

Nairn MacEwan was an international wing forward in the mid 70s (far too small even to be an international scrum half these days!) who was the guiding light of that amazing Highland team of that era.