Can you remember ?

Aye me and Jimmy used to buy these at Frankie the Jews

Frankie Jews!!! I was never a smoker but it was 3d for a single fag and an extra ha'penny for a match. In the days when they really filled your mouth up, I used to get penny dainties from the shop at the Caley Park, one for each half of the game. The trouble was that if Caley scored and you let out a yell, you also nearly removed half your teeth.

Penny Dainties were by no means "dainty" in these days and were effectively cuboids of Cow Toffee. They were very popular in the "Penny Box" that a lot of grocers - including Christisons, Jocky Lawsons and Alex MacKenzies in Dalneigh - used to have.

At one Royal Academy Christmas concert a choir got up to sing a version of the Twelve Days Of Christmas which roughly went

Four this and that

Three something else

Two of a third thing

AND A SINGLE OUT OF FRANKIE JEW'S.

I would imagine that would nowadays be considered a crime worse than shoplifting and see you expelled for racism.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

cant find any pictures ... but remember Campbell Allan's van coming round at lunchtime every weekday, the fish van coming round every other day, the Morrisons Bakery van every morning and the ice cream van at night .... 

• Agree 1

cant find any pictures ... but remember Campbell Allan's van coming round at lunchtime every weekday, the fish van coming round every other day, the Morrisons Bakery van every morning and the ice cream van at night .... 

For those in Merkinch, there was Jocks mobile van/shop, that did the rounds. And I always remember "Babs" doing the rounds in her electric Morrisons the Bakers mobile. The smell when you got inside there was to die for. I always remember her being outside my house about 2pm every weekeday. PS, Morrisons Bridies were the stuff of legend too

And you got the tawse fer that ?

This reminds me....who can recall, Carse Road, in the days when on one side of the road, were Hall and Tawse and on the other, was McBraynes, which always seemed to have a few Highland Omnibuses outside it. And may as well throw in the Distillery right on that corner too lol

This reminds me....who can recall, Carse Road, in the days when on one side of the road, were Hall and Tawse and on the other, was McBraynes, which always seemed to have a few Highland Omnibuses outside it. And may as well throw in the Distillery right on that corner too lol

I remember all these buildings well, in fact I worked in the Macbraynes office for a few years,  The Tawse office building has recently been demolished to make way for housing.

And Jocky Lawson in Dalneigh before he opened the shop. Jocky's big problem was that Mrs Lawson was such a greeting faced old bag that a lot of people grudged partonising the van so when Jocky moved into the new shop on one side of the street at the Dalneigh Road/ St Andrew Drive interface and Jimmy Christison into the other, Christisons did far, far better.

For those in Merkinch, there was Jocks mobile van/shop, that did the rounds. And I always remember "Babs" doing the rounds in her electric Morrisons the Bakers mobile. The smell when you got inside there was to die for. I always remember her being outside my house about 2pm every weekeday. PS, Morrisons Bridies were the stuff of legend too

And there was big Roddy Wood in the Burnetts Bakers van.  We still get Davie from Buckie in the fish van on Thursday in Drakies. 

Got the tawse for that and remember Tawse yard very well before Halls moved in at the Carse Road end and eventually amalgamated, Tawse were a large construction firm building mainly roads and bridges while Halls were the housebuilder, both were involved in all the building of New Hilton.  My father was a plant fitter and I spent many an evening as a boy helping him repair cars in the workshop where I had my first go at welding and driving all sorts of machinary!  Tawse had 6 housed 4 on Glendoe Terrace & 2 on Benula Road we stayed in number 4 and the gates we made from scrap metal lying in the yard are still there!

I remember all these buildings well, in fact I worked in the Macbraynes office for a few years,  The Tawse office building has recently been demolished to make way for housing.

I used to deliver office furniture  from C.H Webster's to Macbraynes for shipment to Stornoway and the guy in the store was a real grumpy old b****r (hope that wasn't you) they were wanting it packed in wooden crates for transportation!  We found another delivery company.  The original office building was single story and the top floor was added on about 1970.

Other memories i have, are of when the AI Welders hooter used to go off every weekday at 1-30. I recall this clearly as a toddler, as to me, it signalled that it was time to go and watch Fingerbobs, Mr Benn, Trumpton, The Flumps etc lol

Also i recall when all the council vehicles were Orange instead of Yellow.

I used to deliver office furniture  from C.H Webster's

Was that where Hugh Crout used to work? The desk upon which I am typing this was delivered to me many years ago by the said Mr Crout.

Yes he was a director there.

Oh Charles, dearie, didn't you realize that my post was a deliberate play upon words...........? :lol:

I  lived in Germanica for18 months as a young man and so do understand how to spell the name.  Hoch! Hoch!.

Sigh!----  Sometimes I wonder if  you  may be a succulent sauerkraut or sumpin......... :crazy:

Other memories i have, are of when the AI Welders hooter used to go off every weekday at 1-30. I recall this clearly as a toddler, as to me, it signalled that it was time to go and watch Fingerbobs, Mr Benn, Trumpton, The Flumps etc lol

Also i recall when all the council vehicles were Orange instead of Yellow.

Good shout SMEE, if ye were off school in yer sick bed it signaled the last wee bit of yer convalescence, the wee bit of magic before ye heard the rest of yer pals heading back home after school.