Can you remember ?

27 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

baths.jpg

Is this the upgrade of "the baths" at Friars Street, opened 1984 but closed a decade or so later when the Aquadome opened? I was only ever in there a few times when my kids were young and don't recollect the old "cubicles" disappearing although I do have a vague recollection of new changing rooms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to always put in a seventh record on the old ones when it was supposed to be 6, and when you got a new record put it on on it's own and put the arm back when it was playing and it would go on repeat :wink:

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JockWatt said:

He was the barber, wasn't he ???

To dismiss "Diggar" (that's actually the spelling on the shop front) as "a barber" is to write IHE off as a chap who enjoys the odd, quiet visit to a football match.

Yes indeed Diggar was a barber and he cut my hair from the age of 3 right up until I went to university in Edinburgh at 18. I believe that he began in the business as an Army barber at Fort George, having served in Burma during the war (and he was an active member of the Burma Star Association thereafter.) But Diggar's shop was far more than a barber's. He did a major line in football coupon distribution and it was unknown for your haircut not to be interrupted by Diggar going to the pile of coupons near the window sort somebody out with their weekly flutter - or indeed for him to depart to the front door to shout benevolent abuse at some passer by of his acquaintance, not infrequently John Brooman. Mrs MacGillvary was Sarah and the two kids were Dennis (who I think still runs the shop although he will be around 70 now) and the much younger Jill.

In football terms, Diggar was the ultimate Blue Nose - Rangers and Caley to the hilt and a regular in the Howden End. I think he died in the earlier part of 1993 because when I met up for interviews with the Caley Rebels the day after the Rothes pitch invasion, one of the memorable, albeit somewhat hyperbolic and over dramatic quotes came from Young Brooman - John's grandson: "Diggar MacGillvary is hardly cold in his grave and they're doing this to the club!"

Diggar was what one might call "an ardent conversationalist" and the story goes that he once attended a meeting of Ballifeary Road residents on energy saving. The meeting had been proceeding in an orderly fashion until Diggar proclaimed "But of course I'm all gas" whereupon the proceedings simply fell apart with mirth.

He must have succeeded " Mr. ScottScotty the Barber" who was in a location very close to Diggars . Perhaps Digger  took over Scotty's place after he retired or something?

Scotty was a real card as well. Usually when he asked you what you wanted and you replied  "just a haircut Mr. Scott." or  something, he would reply .."Sorry, I'm not cutting hair any longer. " Which filled you with consternation at the thought of having to report to your ma that you didn't get a haircut.:smile:

But then he would laugh , get his white sheet out and all was ship-shape and Bristol fashion again. And the jokes continued throughout the session. What a guy!.

As far as I recollect, Scotty's was much nearer the Greig St Bridge, but on the same side of Greig St. Diggar's is the second shop after the junction with King St on the North (Telford St) side of Greig St. The shop on that corner is now an Open All Hours but back in the 50s it used to be Baddon's Bike Shop. The other barber's shop - which I take to have been Scotty's - was just a few yards from the bridge end of the street but, although it kept its red and white pole etc, I believe it was occupied for many years by Pat Grant the Hoover man.

You are right enuff , man, it was close to the Bridge. Interesting  because I never knew Diggar's existed. My father used to patronise Scotty(near the bridge)for years  and that's why I went there ....plus, head  inspections after I went home were fine for my mother and so  peace and security still reigned in the house.  

As well it was quite close to Dunain Road and I could walk it.:smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, bughtmaster said:

Intercontinental ballistic missile ?

That was (unfortunately still is) ICBM. Is IBM's photo of a floppy disc or a much smaller minidisc? I haven't seen floppy discs in use for a few years but, until a few months ago and probably long after everybody else, I did use minidiscs for audio recording.