Compliance Officer / Justice for Meekings

RossP

This is an audit on a Referee , If the authorities ever challenge a Referees competence. We might as well all give up.

The referee like Ceaser's wife has always been beyond challenge.

Football referees have one of the most difficult jobs in sport. They have no T V replays their response has to be immediate and based on experience.

They have to be able to do their work without fear or favour.

• Agree 2

This is an audit on a Referee , If the authorities ever challenge a Referees competence. We might as well all give up.

The referee like Ceaser's wife has always been beyond challenge.

Football referees have one of the most difficult jobs in sport. They have no T V replays their response has to be immediate and based on experience.

They have to be able to do their work without fear or favour.

Caesar......

Couldn't blame them if they did Mantis.

Referees will always get decisions wrong, but some of the rubbish I have read on Twitter from Celtic fans about bias and SFA conspiracy theories are just mental.

you could not pay me enough to be a referree.

• Agree 2

Having watched the highlights again (and again and again) I'm more and more surprised at the seriousness of the Sub Keeper's assault on Ofere.

Could easily be the topic of a letter from ICT to the SFA if:

1) We were unaware of the difficulties facing referees as ably described in the posts above

2) We, like Celtic, had absolutely nae class.

• Agree 4

One question thats not asked is 'did the ref think perhaps there was hand to ball contact but it wasn't deemed to be deliberate'? Josh is twisting around to get his body in the way of a ball that he doesn't know, in the nano second of time he has to make a decision, the direction of. He's hardly two yards away from Griffiths so has the ref decided it was not deliberate? Matches are won on goals and Celtics only goals came from well taken set pieces whereas two of ours were from open play.

Barring the first twenty five minutes when Celtic were on top I think we were the team with the most desire to win and we played to win. In extra time when it went to 2-2 Celtic stopped, obviously hoping they'd dominate in shoot-out. We kept going and got the winner. End of.

• Agree 5

If I were a Celtic fan I hope I'd have the decency to be embarrassed at the latest developments. I feel that the coach has the right to enter the ref's room after the game and seek an explanation and then that's the end of it.

I don't feel that officials of a large institution such as Celtic FC have any right to take it any further - many of them don't have any playing experience anyway and yet they have the arrogance to assume that the professionals are wrong, as in the statement where they prejudge by stating that the ref made 'such an obvious error'.

Much as I deplore the triumphalism of the other half of the twins of evil, the corporate paranoia displayed by Celtic FC is pathetic.

While they claim that they want to investigate poor standards of refereeing, the bigger agenda behind their complaints is that there is systematic bias against their club. This is what led to the referees' strike when their chairman, that pillar of society John Reid, stated that they 'Just wanted to be treated like the rest of the clubs'.

• Agree 2

I don't recall them writing to the compliance officer after Neil Lennon got Juanjo sent off or when Samaras went down holding his face and got Tansey sent off.  I also don't remember them coming out and apologising or admitting what they're players had done was wrong.  In fact in the Tansey incident I remember Alan Thompson flying out of the dugout gesturing wildly to the 4th official about a vicious elbow.

Well guess what lads, get it right up you.  Isn't it great how these things even out.

• Agree 9

I don't recall them writing to the compliance officer after Neil Lennon got Juanjo sent off or when Samaras went down holding his face and got Tansey sent off.  I also don't remember them coming out and apologising or admitting what they're players had done was wrong.  In fact in the Tansey incident I remember Alan Thompson flying out of the dugout gesturing wildly to the 4th official about a vicious elbow.

Well guess what lads, get it right up you.  Isn't it great how these things even out.

Could not have put it any better than this, Well done Sir C

• Agree 1

It's just part-and-parcel of football, in its current form - with no 'television-ref' - errors will be made.

The ref 'allegedly' told Celtic that his line of sight was obscured by a player, at the moment in question - fair enough, he can't control where players move around the pitch.

But, when he realised that there may have been a penalty claim, he correctly consulted his assistant behind the goals - Alan Muir. (who, incidentally has a 'worse' record of sending-off ICT players than Willie Collum - by ratio of games-per-sending-off).

He (Muir) told the ref that he thought the ball had struck the head of Meekings, so no penalty.

That's it, in essence. An incident occurred, the officials interpreted it as they saw at the time, without the benefit of slowed-down replays, and a decision was made - although it was the wrong one - simple human error, but no conspiracy!

• Agree 6

Anyone want to organise a collection fund so we can send a big box of tissues to Celtic FC and tell them to dry their eyes.

I believe they already have a plentiful supply of tissues at Celtic Park, although I may drop them a line to seek clarification

A toilet roll would be more in keeping for that lot...... :wink:

Gutted for him. I think there's a case to be made that he went for it with his head, missed and it caught his arm, but I don't think they'll contest. That'll make it tricky in the final - Tremarco and Devine central defensive partnership?

Ridiculous. In fact its completely farcical that this has even come to this.

I'm assuming the club/Josh will fight this, there's no way of knowing it was deliberate from any replay or photograph so it surely can't stick.

Edited by Hiro

That is unprecedented and is a direct result of Celtic's unsporting and petulant behavior in the wake of their loss of the treble they seemed to think was their right.

Of course he defends it. How on earth can they prove retrospectively that it wasn't accidental ?

If he is suspended it will be simply outrageous,

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 6

Will be interesting to see what we do here. We need only look to United and Ciftci to see how easily some of these cases have been thrown out for incidents that were significantly more....'deliberate'.