Stop Press tonight is the NFL drawt

Laurence

Every year the National Football League ( American Football)

Draft from the colleges and Universities in America

No 1 draft pick is by the worst team Tampa Bay Bucs

The last pick is by the Super bowl winners New England Patriots

This system is to try to bring equality to the league , when you consider the rookies get over 500,000$ US a year and the top players could get 40 million $ US a year this is a big deal and for lot of underprivileged players from  ethnic minorities this is the route to a good future.

Not to be missed for the sensation and spectacle that only the States can provide , try not to miss it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-3060814/NFL-Draft-2015-need-know-annual-American-football-event-beginning-Thursday-Chicago.html

Even if your knowledge of this game is limited it is a good opportunity to see a great spectacle  of the sporting agenda

Its a bit of a yawn fest as opposed to a 'great spectacle' ... just like the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS drafts ..... you are correct though that the money is staggering ... doesnt always do you good though as Aaron Hernandez found out: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/lupica-aaron-hernandez-fall-nfl-stardom-ends-jail-article-1.2186970

A Laurence post I was interested to read! :wink:

Looking forward to the draft tonight although there is no way I am staying up for it. Plenty of good build up programmes on Sky throughout the day as well. No first round picks for the Seahawks after the incredible Jimmy Graham trade so New Orleans get two as they look to overhaul their side.

As a 49ers 'fan' I'm pretty concerend about the upcoming season. A lot of excellent players over the last 3 years have gone and the new wave of talent doesn't appear to be delivering. The defence is significantly weaker and the offence isn't much better. I have real doubts over Kaepernick and his ability to read the game. Seldom spies an open receiver. 49ers will do well to achieve anything like .500 next season.

Sorry I am so boring RiG, but it comes with the territory when  OAPs are concerned  I am afraid

I know I get a little intense at times for which I apologise

I am a Kansa City Chiefs follower with Charles my favourite running back ;   although I once took the Saints to win the Super Bowl at 40 -1

I won about £800 that day

I stay up every Sunday and Monday night to watch the games.

Got two tickets for Wembley  when the Chiefs play the Lions as I also like Stafford should be a good day out.

I am thinking of setting up a fantasy league this season for Caley Fans if I can get 10 people to join.

I usually join American leagues and I do quite well having won a lot more match ups than I have lost. I usually use the handle Lochinvar or Young Lochinvar after the poem. I have decided to call myself Inverness City Slickers next league I join.

This season I am going to enter a paid league which will be far more difficult than the fun leagues I usually join.

The NFL fantasy leagues are not like soccer leagues there are no transfer limits. Drafting is in rounds, there are practice drafts so you can get the hang of it. They start to set them up after the training camp. The season involves 14 match ups then sudden death play - Offs

Anyway as I am getting boring again anybody can see how it works on the NFL web site.

I am also worried about the 49s problem is the coach has gone and  there is an unknown in charge so my son tells me, My son also tells me  the team as been ripped apart and will have to be rebuilt.  I predict a fairly dismal season for the 49s although time will tell, moving to a new stadium as gone down like a lead balloon.

Edited by Laurence

Sorry I am so boring RiG, but it comes with the territory when  OAPs are concerned  I am afraid

Whilst not quite there myself yet, in my experience, there is nothing intrinsically boring about being an OAP. Many of the most interesting, stimulating and intelligent people I know fall into that category. Some of the more senior posters on this site are shining examples of that.

Whether one is boring or not is all about individual attitude and character and has very little to do with miles on the clock.....

Edited by Kingsmills

Nothing at all about Laurence being boring! I can't wait until I'm (much) older. I plan to sit in shopping centres tripping people up with my walking stick.

Anyway, I agree with what he (Laurence) says about the 49ers. Tomsula has been promoted to Head Coach as the 49ers try to seek success from within the organisation. I just don't see it. Nothing to do with Tomsula but more the players they have. Patrick Willis retiring was the big shock this season and veteran DT Justin Smith may also be retiring. Gore has left so the RB slot is going over to Reggie Bush. Interesting pick but I don't see him replicating his previous form. Getting Torrey Smith in is a decent enough deal but the secondary is weak along with much of the defensive side of the team. I would imagine a lot of the picks in the draft will be on the defensive side of the team with some offsensive picks for the future. Hopefully a drama free summer unlike last year.

Edited by RiG

In my schooldays poems such as this had to be memorised. No matter how hard I try to read into it I just can't picture the link to Laurence.

O young Lochinvar is come out of the west,
Through all the wide Border his steed was the best;
And save his good broadsword he weapons had none,
He rode all unarm’d, and he rode all alone.
So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
There never was knight like the young Lochinvar.

He staid not for brake, and he stopp’d not for stone,
He swam the Eske river where ford there was none;
But ere he alighted at Netherby gate,
The bride had consented, the gallant came late:
For a laggard in love, and a dastard in war,
Was to wed the fair Ellen of brave Lochinvar.

So boldly he enter’d the Netherby Hall,
Among bride’s-men, and kinsmen, and brothers and all:
Then spoke the bride’s father, his hand on his sword,
(For the poor craven bridegroom said never a word,)
“O come ye in peace here, or come ye in war,
Or to dance at our bridal, young Lord Lochinvar?”

“I long woo’d your daughter, my suit you denied;—
Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide—
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
There are maidens in Scotland more lovely by far,
That would gladly be bride to the young Lochinvar.”

The bride kiss’d the goblet: the knight took it up,
He quaff’d off the wine, and he threw down the cup.
She look’d down to blush, and she look’d up to sigh,
With a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye.
He took her soft hand, ere her mother could bar,—
“Now tread we a measure!” said young Lochinvar.

So stately his form, and so lovely her face,
That never a hall such a galliard did grace;
While her mother did fret, and her father did fume,
And the bridegroom stood dangling his bonnet and plume;
And the bride-maidens whisper’d, “’twere better by far
To have match’d our fair cousin with young Lochinvar.”

One touch to her hand, and one word in her ear,
When they reach’d the hall-door, and the charger stood near;
So light to the croupe the fair lady he swung,
So light to the saddle before her he sprung!
“She is won! we are gone, over bank, bush, and scaur;
They’ll have fleet steeds that follow,” quoth young Lochinvar.

There was mounting ’mong Graemes of the Netherby clan;
Forsters, Fenwicks, and Musgraves, they rode and they ran:
There was racing and chasing on Cannobie Lee,
But the lost bride of Netherby ne’er did they see.
So daring in love, and so dauntless in war,
Have ye e’er heard of gallant like young Lochinvar?

I wish I would have been taught poetry of that quality when I was at school, or anything else other than religion.

Goes to show Alex had a much better education than most people I grew up with

I first came across the poem after I retired it was in a book in a guest house  in Campbelltown where I was on holiday. My wife who like Alex was very well educated  was reading it, and like Alex told me how she was taught  it at school.

Unlike poles attract I am told