Inverness CT -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

Phew, what a game. Massive, massive result for us. Glad I wasn't out there, horrendous conditions! Credit to the players for a great performance. Lots of brave challenges and solid last ditch clearances. We pressed United hard all over the pitch and won the midfield battle. The only other time I've seen us press so hard this season was in our 3-1 home win over Hamilton. Wish we played that way more often, the players are good at it. Williams, Vincent and Eddie caused United problems every time they got the ball. Meekings looked dangerous when he surged up the right flank, if he was more selfish and willing to have a dig he would probably have gotten on the scoresheet.

One thing I would say though, you can see why we've had so much trouble holding a lead recently. Sitting super deep and hoofing the ball straight back to United every time. That was precisely the tactic that undid us time and again late on in matches under Butcher. It just invites wave after wave of balls into our box. United had 2 gilt edged chances late on. We need an out ball. The hoof over the top for Marley or Doran to chase almost never works. Hughes keeps telling them to stay on the last man, but coming deep for a ball to feet from time to time would be a safer bet IMO and relieve the pressure. Just a small gripe!

• Agree 1

Good game in atrocious conditions.

Very early goal for them coming from a Devine backpass getting stuck in a puddle and Esson's rushed clearance going straight to the Utd lad who finished well.

After that early setback, I thought we were brilliant at times and totally dominated. Superb equaliser from Ofere,after some brilliant build up play between Williams and Watkins. Then a fantastic strike from Williams proved to be the winner.

Ofere missed a sitter at the beginning of the second half, then we did our usual and invited Utd onto us in the last 15 mins. Fortunately we got away with it.

Best game I've seen Ofere play yet, and after a slow start Williams was superb..my MOTM. Other than his unfortunate passbook, Devine did well.

A good all round team performance. Best get those passports out!!

• Agree 2

What a night!!!!!! got absolutely soaked through walking to the ground and was still wet by the end but the result more than made up for it,What a strike by Danny Williams, simply superb, a great result and thoroughly deserved, great time to be an ICT fan, :ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

• Agree 6

The team must take a huge amount of credit for rolling up the sleeves to dig out a massive win tonight.  The condition were terrible but even so the team played good football and Williams goal was a cracker.

It would be great if we can Europe sorted out on Saturday and this will then give Yogi a chance to rest or try out some other players in the remaining games before the cup final.

I think Ofere has now shown that he is good enough to be offered a contract for next season.

• Agree 1

Just come in having been out for the evening and not able even to sneak a look at my phone.  I'll enjoy my nightcap even better now. What a great result. Well done to all concerned. 3rd place is within our grasp.  Let's make sure of it by winning at least 2 of our remaining games and not depending on favours from others.  A truly remarkable  effort by our wee club

Onwards and upwards.

• Agree 2

What a bloody awful night for football, a goal down after 2 minutes.........................but the rest just brilliant....................well done to the team :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

• Agree 3

The best game I've seen at TCS for some while. Fantastic performance in very difficult conditions.  I was disappointed with the starting line up thinking it looked rather negative but we actually played a much more positive game than usual with the lads looking to get forward at every opportunity and pressing the opposition hard.  Hughes was saying the right things yesterday about the importance of this game and it showed in the comittment of the players.  Whilst Utd were better than many teams we have failed to beat this year, it was clear that our lads wanted it more.  Nobody had a poor game but Williams and Vincent were the two who stood out today.  Mention also to Meekings who was excellent at right back and had a number of good runs down the flank.  Also Devine who performed very well after his nightmare start when a backpass got caught in standing water.

But a couple of little gripes.  Why do we persist in quickly taken short free kicks around the half way line which tend to peter out into nothing?  Why not get the ball in the box and put some pressuire on the opponents' goal?  Secondly, we need to be better at retaining the ball when holding a lead at the end.  Of course the big hoof is sometimes the safe option but we should be looking keep hold of the ball in the latter stages.  We gave them the opportunity to put some pressure on us but fortunately they couldn't take advantage and we held on for a thoroughly deserved and extremely important win.

• Agree 1

Much above to agree with. The boys recovered well after the bad start and held out in the end. However, I still have doubts about playing Vincent on the right flank. I would like to have seen Nick Ross in that position tonight.

I think the results this Saturday will work in our favour and we can then relax and enjoy the Cup Final even more. Get your passports ready, Europe here we come!

Edited by Row S

What a night!!!!!! got absolutely soaked through walking to the ground and was still wet by the end but the result more than made up for it,What a strike by Danny Williams, simply superb, a great result and thoroughly deserved, great time to be an ICT fan, :ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

You were looking miserable when you arrived but your smile said it all at the end :smile:

• Agree 1

I thought the pitch was a bit sticky. They should have got the sprinklers out at half time.

If I knew it was going to be that wet I would have dug our my life jacket.

Great 3 points tonight. Even draws all round next week and we secure 3rd spot

Great performance by Danny Williams, deserved his MOM. Thought the guys did well to zip the ball around in those conditions a few interesting tackles now and again, due to conditions I expect!

Just need to secure a result on Saturday, the guys seemed well focussed on getting over the line and achieving the 3rd place.

What a season and it aint over yet

• Agree 1

The team must take a huge amount of credit for rolling up the sleeves to dig out a massive win tonight.  The condition were terrible but even so the team played good football and Williams goal was a cracker.

It would be great if we can Europe sorted out on Saturday and this will then give Yogi a chance to rest or try out some other players in the remaining games before the cup final.

I think Ofere has now shown that he is good enough to be offered a contract for next season.

I would like to think third is consolidated now. StJ v DU saturday must finish with a win for one team for us to be overtaken. Goal diff makes a draw no use and a draw is the likely outcome.

You can't say that goal difference is not a factor. We have had enough skelpings at Parkhead in the past, and you can bet that Celtic will be up for that game. Also, if Utd beat us, every goal they beat us by is a two goal swing in goal difference.

If we lose all three, it is not inconceivable that there would be a 9 goal swing.

Great result for the Boys tonight surely we can secure 3rd place finish from here - I think he is resting Christie for the Final , but must admit thought Doran would have started tonight

I think Yogi is playing his cards very carefully, Falkirk will have no idea what team they will be up against......neither do we know what side he will put out.............Goog game Yogi, Good game  :wink:  :smile:

• Agree 1

Excellent result and performance on a truly horrible night for football.

Great sliding tackle by Gary Warren on Cheat Cifci just as he was about to pull the trigger!

As much as I am a great admirer of David Raven who has been dependale all season, that was some performance by Josh Meekings at right back.  His surging runs,  pace and delivery from wide areas caused Utd problems all night.  

Best bit of business JH ever did getting Josh to extend his contract.  

• Agree 1