My First goal in adult football

Laurence

I bet there are some interesting stories about first goals to be told by forum members

Mine was a strange one.

I was on a football field just kicking about with my brother in law. I was 14 or 15 years old which makes it around 1958 long before subs and such like

Then  the local team appeared most frustrated as they only had 10 men.

My brother in Law who was an adult declined as he had to go home.

They rather reluctantly asked me to play. ( being short of time and nobody else around )  I signed a form which was given to the referee because  players had to be registered before the match which was a cup game.

They stuck a number 9 on me and told me to play up front.

I  don't think they passed to me all the game. Most frustrating as I got into some good positions to score.

Eventually we got a corner I thought hang back in the clear just outside the box as they looked too big for me in the 6 yard area.

The corner came over and the ball was cleared straight to me. I just put my foot under it and lobbed it over the sea of faces in front of me. There wasn't an inch to spare low down but the top of the goal beckoned the ball crashed into the back of the net. The players looked at me in disbelief , before they came over with the usual celebration.

After the game the reporter came over from the local rag and asked for the names of the scorers, as we had won 2 1. The captain looked puzzled because he didn't know my name. They came over with the reporter who took down my name. I was mentioned in the report. My teacher on reading it was most puzzled because he always played me at the back in school matches. "Scored a goal Banks in an adult game, wonders will never cease", was his comment with a twinkle in his eye.

I can still after nearly 60 years can see that ball  going into the net and the look of astonishment on the players faces, all of whom were probably a good ten years older than me

I'd be interested in your stories as a light hearted topic sometimes puts a human face on the forum

• Agree 2

I am giving you a "like" Laurence for  revealing your human side.

That' surely an enduring memory for you like it was in a  similar situation for me. Never expected to even get the ball but scored when It did finally arrive. Whee! :clapping:

• Agree 1