Scotland squad

bdu98196

Whilw I'm an fan of what Strachan is doing with the national team, I'm somewhat comfused by some selections

Charlie Mulgrew - a guy who has played 45mins on Fri night after being out for 5 months

Mark Reynolds - is he international quality?

Scott Bain - a keep who has never had a look in before?

These and other slightly odd selections and yet chooses to ignore the likes os Shinnie who has been in all SPFL teams of the year and has shown he can play LB/RB & CM - versatility like Mulgrew has.

Least he never picked anyone from the lower Scottish divisions this time at least

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32780203

Can't fault his record as Scotland manager, but truly abysmal to keep omitting Shinnie who has been arguably the best Scottish player (if not the best player, period) in the SPFL this season.

Andy Robertson has missed half the season through injuries, and he's only played one game in the last couple of months. It's an absolute joke that even under these circumstances Shinnie still doesn't get a look in. 

One silver lining, at least he can focus 100% on the Scottish Cup Final without the added distraction of an international 6 days later. Hopefully a man of the match performance in that showpiece game will push him over the line, and get him into the next squad.

Same old! He MUST have seen the performance Shinnie put in against Celtic in the semi? What more can he do to get called up?

If he can pick Mark Reynolds then he'll certainly be picking Shinnie - when he's at the Dons next season....

I would like to see Shinnie in the team as much as anyone else. But Gordon Strachan has managed to do something, no manager has done since Alex McLeish/Walter Smith - getting the whole country behind the national team again. Unless results start slipping or we start playing terribly, I will not question his team selection. I don't think it is fair comparing Mark Reynolds selection to Shinnie being omitted considering they play in different positions. Although Mulgrew has been out for ages, you could argue he'll be fresher come mid June than the players who are still slogging it out. Also, would it be sensible throwing Shinnie right into the squad for such an important game rather than more internationally experienced players?

Well considering one game is a nothing friendly with Qatar then yes maybe it is a good time.

Reynolds was an example of a lesser ability player getting picked and I'm sure given shinnies versatility he could play anywhere in the back line but could Reynolds? Mulgrew may be fresher but 135mins of football max in 6 months wont make him match sharp or fit.

Well considering one game is a nothing friendly with Qatar then yes maybe it is a good time.

Reynolds was an example of a lesser ability player getting picked and I'm sure given shinnies versatility he could play anywhere in the back line but could Reynolds? Mulgrew may be fresher but 135mins of football max in 6 months wont make him match sharp or fit.

I wouldn't call it a nothing friendly, this game has a big impact on what seeding we will be for the World Cup qualifiers. Granted that even if we win we could still end up dropping in the rankings and end up in pot 3. But why Regan et. al took a friendly against Qatar is a whole different matter altogether. I don't think this is the stage of the competition where you want to be tinkering with a team. I do think Shinnie is deserving of a call up and should have been given a chance in the past. But considering he has no international experience at this moment in time, I don't blame Strachan for choosing more internationally experienced players for a campaign defining game. The fact is, Strachan has chosen players who have served him well so far in these qualifiers so far and I don't think he can be criticised for that.

I'm sure Qatar pay above the going rate to sort friendlies....

Would have been a good game to see him involved in. If any player in the league deserves a call up it's him. Captained his team to a cup final and a 3rd place finish (and European football) whilst also being in the nations team of the year. If he was playing anywhere else there'd be uproar. Its probably one reason he's moving on. He'll maybe get a look in at Aberdeen.

Reynolds is in because let's face it, we're not exactly overflowing with even decent centre halves. And Hanley's out too. Its by far our weakest position. Who'd have thought that when first McManus,Webster and Kennedy broke through and then later Wilson too.

A 'nothing friendly'?!  It's the Qatar Airways Cup don't you know!  :swear:

Edited by Renegade