ICT Cup win can heal divide

dougal

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/inverness-ct-cup-win-can-heal-divide-nick-ross-1-3783047

His words not mine, fair play to young Nick for having the balls to address the subject and not sweep it under the carpet like caleyjagsforever and the local press

Who knows he could be right interest in ICT surely would increase with a Cup win although I suspect it would be more the younger generation and the incomers again that will increase

Dougal

• Agree 1

end of the day the merger was 21 years ago and is history. We should never forget our history but we should also not dwell on it.

The generation that opposed the merger is lost to us as ICT supporters whether they fill a phone box or a stadium and even a cup win and European football will not bring them back ... and many of our most fervent fans today were not even born when it happened (making many of us feel old). This club has created 20+ bits of history this season alone so lets focus on that rather than rake over the same old subject from the same contributors for the several hundreth time with the same old comments !

#ThisIsOurTime 

• Agree 7

end of the day the merger was 21 years ago and is history. We should never forget our history but we should also not dwell on it.

The generation that opposed the merger is lost to us as ICT supporters whether they fill a phone box or a stadium and even a cup win and European football will not bring them back ... and many of our most fervent fans today were not even born when it happened (making many of us feel old). This club has created 20+ bits of history this season alone so lets focus on that rather than rake over the same old subject from the same contributors for the several hundreth time with the same old comments !

#ThisIsOurTime 

That's the only part of Scotty's post I would disagree with. I would rather say "SOME OF the generation that opposed the merger is lost to us as ICT supporters...." A considerable number of the 226, which was the biggest "no" vote recorded, have become loyal supporters.

When I first saw this

" Dougal https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be"

in TopSix's post #3, it took me some time to realise that this wasn't an expression of opinion but a reference to a video. :lol:  :lol: 

But hang on. Let's not rise to Dougal's bait. This is far too proud and progressive a moment for Inverness Caledonian Thistle to be discussing the paranoia of grievance-ridden dinosaurs.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

And let's have a look at all the usual characters who simply have to rise to the bait every time and prolong the threads -LOL. But as a psychological expert I have to excuse them as guilt complexes are undoubtedly at the core of their need to defend, deride and project.

• Agree 2

Well...i for one like talking about my beloved Caley and the old Highland League days. When the  fans were consulted about the proposed Team Name...despite being Caley daft, i voted for the Caley and Thislte parts to be dropped from the team name, as i could see it would be problematic. it would have been better just calling the team Inverness. I know a lot of people who are still very bitter about things and its kind of sad. My facebook has numerous ex Caley fans being very negative towards ICT. I wonder if this reluctance to let go of the past is as prominent in old school jaggies? I few of my long time freinds were Jaggies, and while they are less vocal and negative, they still hold a grudge to ICT

Can we PLEASE stop going on about a few grumpy guys from 20 years ago, half of whom come to games anyway, half of whom have left Inverness, and a further half of whom are no longer with us - while the rest meet in a blue and white telephone box on Telford Street or a black and red one on Kingsmills Road!

Anyone out there who has chosen not to follow a route which has taken Inverness football from a century of going nowhere in the Highland League to Europe and the Scottish Cup Final in 21 years is perfectly entitled to take that view. But it's equally clear that their absence hasn't exactly been a handicap.

In fact you could almost argue that once that kind of Luddite mentality departed, the scene was suitably set for real progress to be made.

Now if we could perhaps set Dougal's wind-up aside and focus on Hampden Park in less than 48 hours' time.....

• Agree 1

Can we PLEASE stop going on about a few grumpy guys from 20 years ago, half of whom come to games anyway, half of whom have left Inverness, and a further half of whom are no longer with us - while the rest meet in a blue and white telephone box on Telford Street or a black and red one on Kingsmills Road!

Anyone out there who has chosen not to follow a route which has taken Inverness football from a century of going nowhere in the Highland League to Europe and the Scottish Cup Final in 21 years is perfectly entitled to take that view. But it's equally clear that their absence hasn't exactly been a handicap.

In fact you could almost argue that once that kind of Luddite mentality departed, the scene was suitably set for real progress to be made.

Now if we could perhaps set Dougal's wind-up aside and focus on Hampden Park in less than 48 hours' time.....

yer right, look forward not back, bit of stirring going on

It was Nick Ross that brought it up by speaking to the papers though, if anyone is trolling surely it's him? What is it with people moaning about the merger, if people want to discuss the possibility of more fans coming back because of the final then why not? I think it's a very valid statement that has been made.

• Agree 2

Hang on now, has anyone actually mentioned any of this??

Except, of course, one Mr Charles Bannerman who clearly revels in the old Merger debate!

Move on Mr. B., let it go!!!

And yes, it IS becoming entertaining!

• Agree 1

It's an 'old chestnut' but will always be part of our history. I get irked (and will no doubt again when I watch back the recorded TV coverage of the game), when we are often patronisingly referred to as this new club, as if we literally sprung-out-of-no-nowhere 21 years ago!

Almost like Inverness decided, as a growing town, to suddenly embrace football and create a team to fill a vacuum and apply for a Scottish League vacancy.

Caledonian and Inverness Thistle were clubs that existed from 1885-1994. A rich heritage, that combined with ICT, dwarfs the existence of other Scottish football clubs.

Unlike The Rangers (couldn't resist it), who are legally an entirely different entity - our 'bloodline' has never been broken. ICT can be viewed as a continuity of both Inverness Thistle and Caledonian, albeit in a merged team.

However, I think it's naive for anyone to think that there's no 'divide' anymore. And I'm not referring to the refuseniks!

There are still many, who are very regular attenders who refuse to 'acknowledge' the club by any name other than the one they previously supported.

I 'used' to be like that, and for years refrained from calling them 'Caley' and absolutely would not join in with that 'song'!

But similarly, few former fans of Caledonian FC ever refer to us as 'the Jaggies', 'The Jags' or even 'Thistle'!

Inverness City, in hindsight, may have been a good option!

• Agree 1