What Would It Mean To You?

Renegade

The ultimate triumph over adversity as let's face it we are not the choice of club for many members of the SEA due to our geographical location and ability to get the better of supposedly "superior and classier" opposition. Come on boys bring it on home to ICT- THIS IS OUR TIME.!!!!

As one of the older posters on here, I've supported Caley from the early 50s and ICT from its inception in 1994.  Although I was not in favour of the merger, I soon got over it and embraced the new club.

Particularly in my youth I always dreamed of us winning the Scottish Cup.  For this aspiration now to be within touching distance is truly unbelievable.  A win on Saturday will just be amazing, and if we follow it with one or two wins in Europe in the summer, my joy will be complete.  Roy of the Rovers stuff!

Bring it on.

• Agree 8

If we do win and I hope ,pray and think we will then like CMiB my boyhood dream comes true, ( that is the first part of my dream ) Inverness winning the Scottish Cup, second part of my boyhood dream was winning the then Scottish First Division. Even that now seems possible. Wish all my mates of then were still alive to relish this stupendous event.

Hail !  Hail ! ICT......... :ictscarf:  :cheer01:  :wave:  :notworthy:

• Agree 2

As one of the older posters on here, I've supported Caley from the early 50s and ICT from its inception in 1994.  Although I was not in favour of the merger, I soon got over it and embraced the new club.

Particularly in my youth I always dreamed of us winning the Scottish Cup.  For this aspiration now to be within touching distance is truly unbelievable.  A win on Saturday will just be amazing, and if we follow it with one or two wins in Europe in the summer, my joy will be complete.  Roy of the Rovers stuff!

Bring it on.

This but from a red and black perspective. Reluctant supporter of the merger but, win or lose on Saturday (Hope to Hell it's the former) we have achieved what we could only dream of in the Highland League days.

Added to that I have a long nursed, Scottish Cup related, score to settle with Falkirk. Back in the frozen winter of 1979 I bunked off school for the afternoon to make the short journey from Midmills to Kingsmills to watch the mighty Jags take on the Bairns in the 29 times postponed cup tie which finally kicked off at half past one on a Thursday due to Falkirk's refusal to play under our rather good floodlights.

If memory serves, we were three down and well and truly out of the match after 15 minutes and a further goal adrift by half time. My misery was compounded the following day by incurring the wrath of the formidable deputy rector Mr 'Abdul' Johnston for my unauthorised  absence.

Revenge, they say, is a dish best eaten cold.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 7

Definately this club has surpassed my expectations.  I always knew Caledonian & Thistle when we merged, were far superior to the then 2nd and 3rd division teams; so as far as dreams were concerned it was to play in the top division which we achieved in no time at all.  Yes I always had dreams of winning a major trophy or playing in a European competition but these were pipe dreams.

Credit must go to Butcher & Malpas for installing the "I believe" ethos in the team and the fans;  and i'm happy that that has been strengthned with Hughes et al.

What would it mean to me? Well some fans spend their whole lives supporting a team who will never reach the heights we have, so this would mean the world to me and hopefully to the kids growing up in Inverness. 

If we do win this cup i emplore the club to exploit it and ram it down kids throats. Bums on seats is everything.

and my thoughts are with those 2nd and 3rd division teams who are still chasing that dream.

BC

Edited by BornCaley
  • Agree 4

The fulfilment of childhood dreams.

The satisfaction we have done it despite the power brokers in Scottish football treating us with utter contempt.

And lastly amazing pride on what everyone connected with ICT has achieved since 1994. Really is the stuff of dreams, irrespective of result on Saturday, but by god a cup win would be the cherry on top of the cake.

Bring it on!!

• Agree 2

My dad is an aberdeen fan..last year hurt, especially getting home to find him celebrating. So winning the Scottish cup will be far better than wat he got last year.

More importantly, I've supported caley thistle since my interest in football kicked off, had a season ticket since 2004, been to both league cup semi finals in in previous seasons, last years cup final and the challenge cup final...yet nothing has ever had me so excited as this Saturday. I cried when Celtic beat us in the 2008 quarter final as it was my first cup game.

This club means more to me than anyone would believe and a win on Saturday would be a dream come true and easily the best day of my life...whatever happens in the future following this club it'll be a day that I won't forget about.

This game will literally determine how happy I am until we reach another final.

Edited by DEANO96
  • Agree 2

As per kingsmills it was a thistle perspective for me wTching them from late 60s through the fantastic team of the seventies and I was a 3rd year apprentice for the Falkirk game No bunking off school. I wasn't a reluctant merger I was all for it after the jags lost out to Ferranti thistle I always wanted a Scottish football team to support and from the first league game to Arbroath to this THE SCOTTISH CUP FINAL it's been an absolute blast. Even all the cold winters nights get forgotten What does it mean? Absolutely the pinnacle of achievement for any sporting team from the highlands if we win and I'm not going to get ahead of myself and say we will definitely win but if we do. For us oldies this might be our once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm finding it hard to describe the right words but it would be the most emotional fantastical experience of my life out with marriage family etc. I'm only putting the last bit in incase the wife gets wind of this post

• Agree 7

Hailing from Edinburgh myself. I have many Hibs associations (bit rich to call them friends though eh ;-) ) and it would be a treat knowing we'd have won more Scottish cups in 21 years than they in over 100.

I'll be in Gent, Belgium in a sports bar watching the game I hope. (Message to the bar looks promising) and cheering the boys on. To then train to Bruges later, probably a little tipsy, with a joyous smile on my face. Be a great day.

I believe.

• Agree 1

I think the older generation get something of a bonus out of this since they have a long and direct experience of what things were like in the Highland League and are hence in a position to appreciate the profound contrast.

No one much under 30 can even remember when Thistle and Caley played in the Highland League and one of the highlights of the season was the quarter finals of the Qualifying Cup when, each October, your club might just be one of the lucky four to win a place in the "first round proper" of the Scottish Cup.

Indeed in order to have an established and reasonably detailed memory of this, you would probably have to be nearer 40. Even for these younger supporters the sense of satsfaction will be immense.

But take, say, a 65 year old whose first 30 years of supporting football will have been within the virtual dead end of the Highand League with the odd opportunity of a modest Scottish Cup run. That is a long time to establish a pretty solid and indeed limited set of norms, values and expectations which don't really change very much from year to year.

But now, over the rather shorter period of just 21 years, history has produced (in chronological order): Election to the SFL (1994) - Scottish Cup quarter final (1996) - Division 3 title and promotion (1997) - Division 2 runners up and promotion (1999) - Two Scottish Cup semi finals (2003 and 2004) - Division 1 title and promotion to the SPL (2004) - SPL football coming to Inverness (2005) - (let's quickly bypass season 2008-09!) - Second Division 1 title and return to the SPL (2010) - Top six (2013, 2014 and 2015) - League Cup Final (2014)- Europe (2015) - Scottish Cup final (2015).

To have witnessed that at all is a great experience.

To have witnessed that off the back of decades of existence in a footballing dead end is absolutely stupendous!

Having raised this issue, I would now like to mention five gentlemen whom I like to count among my friends.

Jimmy Falconer (still football secretary) and Ken Thomson (now back on the board) and John Douglas (now in charge of the turnstiles) were all deeply involved with Caley back in the Highland League days.

Ian MacKenzie, (still a club official on matchdays) was one of the Thistle inner circle from the same era.

Tommy Cumming has been groundsman at Telford Street and the Caledonian Stadium since time began.

People like that (and there will be one or two more I haven't named) who have been right at the centre of things across all these inspiring years, must feel a very special sense of satisfaction as this final approaches.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 7

A weekend like no other to remember for the rest of my life!

Apart form the blip in 2009 it has been a year on year improvement since we came into the senior leagues. To achieve what we have done with limited resources is far more than anyone could have expected in such a short space of time. 

Looking back to when I was a very young teenager and getting in to Telford Street and standing beneath the trees on the right side of the park as you enter for six pence, I can hardly credit the momentous changes and progress achieved by my team since then.

Way back then I think T.V had just been invented and was presented in black and white on 12 or 14 inch screens !!

Just being able to view the game on this absolutely stunning occasion is reward enough but when and if the cup is hoisted I will simply be riveted to the  spot, standing in my living room in obeisance and unable to take my eyes off the T.V.

And the joy will be so great all round that I simply cannot guarantee that a tear or two will not flow...so there.

On that note can I go to the bathroom  please? ......... For the 4th time today. :tongue:  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

I will be taking my 86 year old dad to the final.  He was a Caley FC committee member for many years and is a staunch ICT supporter.  I would dearly love to see the look on his face if we can win the cup.

For me, it would be the fruition of a dream that started 21 years ago.  To get our name on the cup would be fantastic.

• Agree 2

I will be taking my 86 year old dad to the final.  He was a Caley FC committee member for many years and is a staunch ICT supporter.  I would dearly love to see the look on his face if we can win the cup.

Yup... there is another gentleman who is entitled to a very special sense of satisfaction on Saturday.

Everything brings it back -  memories of games in the late sixties at Telford street with my long departed granddad He always said 80 capstan full strength a day wouldn't hurt anyone!

Respect to players, staff and officials present and past to get to final - massive achievement but still work to do tomorrow afternoon -without sounding dour!!-

Bring it home

• Agree 1