What positions do we need to recruit?

bdu98196

Looking at who is still under contract next year, is this what we have and cover for positons? We look a bit light in midfield and definately need a striker or 2. Hopefully Nick Ross stays, can any of the young lads step up?

Esson / Brill

Raven / Meekings        Meekings / Devine    Warren         Tremarco / Williams

Draper                          Tansey

Doran                                   Christie / Vincent                         Williams

Foran?

Not sure if their is any news on Polworth - he's never really had a chance to shine in the first team. I thought Vincent was away, but maybe not?

Priorities are: goalkeeper, right back cover, left midfield/wing (if Williams switches to wing back) at least 2 strikers. Strong youth back-up is necessary all over the park and perhaps another utility midfielder would give us a little strength in depth.

Let's face it, we really got out of jail last year with such a thin squad. A couple more key injuries would have been disastrous. With the extended Europa season, we need to have a bit more rotation (hate that term!) Also, perhaps that will mean that we don't have the perennial dip in form in February!

Hoping the club will move quickly to make new signings especially when you see the likes of former Hearts players James Keatings and Scott Robinson being snapped up in the last couple of days.  

Falkirk also have a few good players worth considering - Vaulks and Grant for starters and even Jamie MacDonald.

For me two strikers is a priority, one as a starter and other as back up/rotation followed by a left back then a versatile midfielder.

I'm not sure JH will see a goalkeeper as top of the list although depends how much of a budget he gets and how well he can play the market for free transfers. With the amount of players that clubs are releasing there's definately a few bargains and gems to be had, hopefully we can get them in time for the start of the campaign.

For me two strikers is a priority, one as a starter and other as back up/rotation followed by a left back then a versatile midfielder.

I'm not sure JH will see a goalkeeper as top of the list although depends how much of a budget he gets and how well he can play the market for free transfers. With the amount of players that clubs are releasing there's definately a few bargains and gems to be had, hopefully we can get them in time for the start of the campaign.

The raised profile from our cup win, top 3 finish and euro qualification should help JH get some gems that may have previously thought twice about relocating up the A9.

Cld do a lot worse than signing Jamie McDonald (he did win us the cup after all) ... seriously though, good keeper would be great competition for Brill and Esson. 

Left back... I've always been a fan of Bob Harris (ex QoS) but he is probably on a substantial contract with Sheffield Utd.  I think everyone knows from the cup final that Tremarco isn't good enough to replace Shinnie... problem is there wont be many about that are. This is going be a really difficult position to fill

Another Watkins by the sounds of it ... someone with a lot of pace that can play off the wing and up top. 

Strikers.. 2, maybe 3. If Watkins is away we need pace.  If Ofere is away we need a natural goal scorer. I liked Shane Sutherland and Yogi hasn't had the chance to work with him yet... not sure if he is away on loan or permanent but he might be worth a shot... also a lot of hype about the boy Ferguson.  Foran is collecting a substantial wage so he has some making up to do next season.

We need to keep a hold of Ross ...  he would be a bigger loss than Shinnie and Watkins IMO because he can fill so many positions and I believe next year will be a big year for him.  If Yogi gives him a chance I think he will step up.

Vigurs was just released from Motherwell... he was obviously binned by Brewster for having a poor attitude but there is no doubt how talented a left peg the boy had.  I hate that he played for County but only because I was gutted that he left us ... it could be a good signing if Yogi gets the best out of him.

There isn't a massive overhaul needed though ... just a few good additions and we are more than capable of another great season.  

Vigurs was just released from Motherwell... he was obviously binned by Brewster for having a poor attitude but there is no doubt how talented a left peg the boy had.  I hate that he played for County but only because I was gutted that he left us ... it could be a good signing if Yogi gets the best out of him.

Brewster was the one who was actually playing Vigurs, it was Butcher who put him on as a sub once and then never picked him again.  I'm led to believe as well that we have offered him a deal, but he doesn't want to return here.

Brewster was the one who was actually playing Vigurs, it was Butcher who put him on as a sub once and then never picked him again.  I'm led to believe as well that we have offered him a deal, but he doesn't want to return here.

So it was

Shane Sutherland was released two years ago, Harry. His first season at Elgin wasn't particularly fruitful, but the last campaign was better - he even made the League Two Team of the Year.

Wasn't too sure. Cheers

I'd agree with what's been said previous. Left back is a must, 2 strikers certainly and I'd say a competent goalie to challenge Esson until Brill gets back (a 6 month loan deal would suffice)

Speaking of Loans, I hope this is a market Yogi will look into. Some cracking players over the years: Davis, Golobart, MacDonald, Winnall (remember what he went on to do when given the chance), Blackman (madhouse I know but not a bad player). Not sure about players down south but even looking at Celtic there's a few guys..Callum McGregor, Jackson Irvine (County's best player last season) Darnell Fisher, Tom Rogic...all young guys who would benefit from some first team action and I'd certainly give them a chance.

Looking at the lists of players released in England and it's easy to get sucked into seeing these big name players without a club and think "well..you never know?" but the likelihood of a lot of these guys upping sticks and probably getting paid significantly less than they're used would rule a lot of them out but even still, we can dream right?

Lot of ex-SPL players in there who could almost certainly still do a job:

Kane Hemmings, Darren O'Dea, Mickael Antoine-Courier, Stephen Crainey, James Dayton, Marc Antoine Fortune, Paddy McCourt, Noel Hunt, Ricardo Fuller, Giles Coke, Kevin McNaughton....

I tell you what, being a football scout is a piece of ****.

A keeper just needs to be loaned in until Brill is ready.

As far as experienced cover for Esson until Brill is fit again is concerned, Mark Brown has been released by County. We could do worse than offer his a short term contract. Would just have to make sure we didn't concede any penalties.....

I'd agree with what's been said previous. Left back is a must, 2 strikers certainly and I'd say a competent goalie to challenge Esson until Brill gets back (a 6 month loan deal would suffice)

Speaking of Loans, I hope this is a market Yogi will look into. Some cracking players over the years: Davis, Golobart, MacDonald, Winnall (remember what he went on to do when given the chance), Blackman (madhouse I know but not a bad player). Not sure about players down south but even looking at Celtic there's a few guys..Callum McGregor, Jackson Irvine (County's best player last season) Darnell Fisher, Tom Rogic...all young guys who would benefit from some first team action and I'd certainly give them a chance.

Looking at the lists of players released in England and it's easy to get sucked into seeing these big name players withoutys a club and think "well..you never know?" but the likelihood of a lot of these guys upping sticks and probably getting paid significantly less than they're used would rule a lot of them out but even still, we can dream right?

Lot of ex-SPL players in there who could almost certainly still do a job:

Kane Hemmings, Darren O'Dea, Mickael Antoine-Courier, Stephen Crainey, James Dayton, Marc Antoine Fortune, Paddy McCourt, Noel Hunt, Ricardo Fuller, Giles Coke, Kevin McNaughton....

I tell you what, being a football scout is a piece of ****.

This is a route I would go down also. There's a goalkeeper in their U20s I've always been impressed with when I have seen him play - Leo Fasan. Still a young goalkeeper but one that I think would do our team good.

There are others we should have a look (some already mentioned and some I personally haven't seen): Tom Rogic, Holmbert Fridjonsson, Michael Duffy, Sam Wardrop, Aiden Nessbit, Luke Donnelly

Celtic are our competition.  If they have players that aren't good enough to get a look in at their club then we shouldn't be considering them on loan.  No problem with picking them up on permanent deals if out of contract but I hate the idea of loaning from teams in the same division.

Celtic are our competition.  If they have players that aren't good enough to get a look in at their club then we shouldn't be considering them on loan.  No problem with picking them up on permanent deals if out of contract but I hate the idea of loaning from teams in the same division.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement fully. Celtic have a massive squad of players with majority of their first team could easily fit into an English Premiership side. By having a massive pool of players without a doubt they will not have enough spaces for everybody. In my opinion if they aren't good enough they wouldn't even be contracted to Celtic in the first place. Celtic seem to have a decent academy, it wouldn't hurt us to take a couple of their younger players who could stay with us on a permanent later on.

Guest Shaun

I see that Rangers have released Steven Smith.

Would he be worth signing as a replacement for Shinnie?

Can see us going with a starting lineup along the lines of...

Esson

Meekings  Warren  Devine  Williams

Draper   Tansey

Vincent

Christie         Ross         Doran

Think we could get a lot of goals with a fluid Barcelona style 'trident' front 3 of false 9s all drifting and dropping into pockets of space, then pressing back when we lose the ball. SPL defenders aren't used to coping with that kind of movement. Christie and Doran have shown how much damage they can do cutting in from the flanks. Surging runs from Meekings, Williams and Vincent will create overloads. Draper and Tansey sitting deep will keep the back door closed.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1